9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Mayaman
February 15, 2023, 12:15pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,421
Gold Stars: 74
We have played well in the cup.  However, there's less pressure on the players. They probably know that consciously or sub conciously.   We've played a lot of teams further up the pyramid so we were expected to lose.  This can make you play a bit more freely.  Also, we were a bit fortituous as Luton had us penned for large periods of time. They didn't convert when they had an opportunity.

PH too chilled?   Bascially, that's his personality.  He doesn't show his emotions much.  Aslo, did you see his interview during the transfer window.  He looked haggard.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 88
BobbyCummingsTackle
February 15, 2023, 12:24pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,300
Gold Stars: 307
Quoted from It Bites

The playing side has not improved at all in league 2 since JF

You are either new to watching Town, have a very short memory or are certifiably insane...the teams that were relegated to the National League were some of the worst teams I have ever seen run out in a Town shirt. Some of the performances those seasons were spirit crushingly awful and delivered by players who were just picking up their wages and couldn't give a flying sh*t about the club. The current group are miles ahead of those bloody awful teams.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 88
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
February 15, 2023, 12:28pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.85
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,831
Gold Stars: 555
Is the home form this season good enough? No

Are the league results in the past 15 matches good enough? 11 points from 45 isn’t great to say the least. However, as poor as that run has been, all we have to do is maintain that ‘form(!)’ and it will almost certainly be enough to keep us up. It would get us to 47 points (which in reality would be 48 points given the disparity in goal difference between us and the current bottom two).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 88
Roast Em Bobby
February 15, 2023, 12:38pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,723
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from diehardmariner
Incredibly harsh to say all the extra staff haven't improved us because the majority of them, by this I'm talking those back office functions, will have no impact on the footballing side of the club.  They're there to improve the 'Corporation', the business side of the pitch.  If they're successful they'll increase revenue which should, you hope, mean Hurst has extra resources at his disposal.  

The right here and now, I don't think we know if they've made improvements or not.  If I'm going to be a harsh critic, I'm erring on the side of no.  Perhaps a case of too much, too soon when it came to change and there's a lot of things that appear to be a bit sloppy at the minute.  The ticketing farces that are ongoing (despite what the club claim), the Twitter account getting locked out for god knows how many days, the empty advertising slots, the constant noises we hear that people who previously got looked after by Dave Smith are now disregarded.
We don't know the circumstances around these issues but at face value it doesn't look great, yet anyway.  My suspicion is that some of the people who have left were pretty much holding things together, their absence has created an absolute vacuum.  That in itself needed addressing one way or the other.

Looking objectively at it, I would say the disappointment for me is that if these individuals did hold the fabric of the club together, moving them on at such pace is a bit unfair really.  There's a lot of talk about culture and changing it, but cultures are inherited and for staff that were at the club for years they've become accustomed to that culture.  It takes time to change mindset and disrupt yourself.  Transition is difficult and the last 18 months weren't really the most settled of environments to do it in either.  

I'm probably at the point of questioning some of the decisions that are made on a day-to-day basis, whilst still buying into the overall objective and vision.

I know someone who used to have an advertising board at town, after a few years he decided to cancel it but the ad-board stayed in place for another 4 seasons for no charge. That was when Dave was in charge, so he obviously wasn't that amazing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 88
ginnywings
February 15, 2023, 1:54pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
What bothers me is the dire football and it's not even winning dire football.

It's a war of attrition most weeks and we are losing the battle.

The FA Cup form is great but it makes the league form even more frustrating.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 88
sam gy
February 15, 2023, 2:08pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from diehardmariner
Incredibly harsh to say all the extra staff haven't improved us because the majority of them, by this I'm talking those back office functions, will have no impact on the footballing side of the club.  They're there to improve the 'Corporation', the business side of the pitch.  If they're successful they'll increase revenue which should, you hope, mean Hurst has extra resources at his disposal.  

This. Bearing in mind the new owners have only been in charge what, 18 months? And the staff they've employed obviously less than that.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 88
diehardmariner
February 15, 2023, 2:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby

I know someone who used to have an advertising board at town, after a few years he decided to cancel it but the ad-board stayed in place for another 4 seasons for no charge. That was when Dave was in charge, so he obviously wasn't that amazing.

And that helps highlight my point.  He, or anyone else, have their faults.  But the wholesale change approach didn't/doesn't recognise their strengths and assets.

I find it hard to look at it in any other way that the club have scored an own goal in not ensuring that the assets certain individuals brought to the table weren't accounted for when those people left.  
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 88
diehardmariner
February 15, 2023, 2:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from ginnywings
What bothers me is the dire football and it's not even winning dire football.

It's a war of attrition most weeks and we are losing the battle.

The FA Cup form is great but it makes the league form even more frustrating.

I agree.  

I've always accepted Hurst's style of football because it largely has been successful for us.  He frustrates me when he keeps the shackles on but its outweighed by many more things that he offers.

But a combination of poor football, poor results and a lack of winning battles is a recipe for disaster.  
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 88
Bigdog
February 15, 2023, 2:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
If I was Danilo Orsi, I'd be fuming right now..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 88
arryarryarry
February 15, 2023, 2:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,038
Gold Stars: 117
What we have in 1878 are two very, very successful businessmen who, in their 'normal' working life make vast amounts of money. First and foremost they have been GTFC fans for many more years than they have been businessmen.

As with any business, the aim is to make as much money as possible, which they both do successfully. They have both thrown loadsamoney into this club already, and openly admit that 'the club' is and will still be losing money year on year for a few years to come, but they are happy to continue to lose those large amounts of money personally and thats something that we should all remember and take into consideration.

Being the owners of the 'business', its only right that they want and need the right people working for them, so as much as we have been saddened to see long term staff 'moving on', it wont have been something that 1878 will have done lightly if it was their choice. Either they will have seen that the staff were not of a level that they needed amongst their ranks, or some of the staff members themselves, who had plodded along taking home a paypacket monthly under the previous regime, didnt want the change.

As 'diehardmariner' touched upon, "when he took over Simply Business he moved on over half the workforce within a year". He only wants the best working for him. End of.

"Simply Business, a business insurance provider which has gained recognition for its treatment of its employees. Simply Business was voted as the number one ‘Best Place to Work’ in the UK by The Sunday Times in both 2015 and 2016, with Stockwood winning the overall Best Leader award in the latter year"

Now THAT is the type of person you want in charge.

Yes while 1878 have money, they have nothing like the money being pumped into Wrexham, and several other NL teams, but we are now in the league again and need to secure our league position first before anything. All small steps.

[and then when the contacts that 1878 have come in with millions of pounds of investment then we can all dream but until then........]

The problem is too many look at their achievements in the businesses they have worked in which are nothing like running a football club. A football club lives and dies for what is done on the pitch and I wonder if their love for Paul Hurst has taken their eye off what the club is doing on the pitch, yes the run in the FA Cup has been above all of our expectations since the 1st round draw was made but our League form is what really matters and that has been very poor recently and as some say and I have mentioned previously that we are getting ourselves into a relegation scrap and we are looking at those below us saving us by not improving.

We may struggle on and stay up but I would never forgive them if we were to drastically get relegated again.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 88
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › A few things that bother me

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.