This thread currently has 4,506 views. Print
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
MaccasBoots
February 1, 2023, 2:54pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Approval: +695
Gold Stars: 23
With all the transfer window discussion, it can be easy to forget that there are actual football matches to be played (and, hopefully, won!).

My view is that we keep the same team as Luton; know some might think that is a bit defensive, but we played really well and if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Crocombe
Efete Smith Waterfall Maher Glennon
Clifton Hunt Morris Holohan (the midfield seemed relatively fluid, with holohan sometimes more central, Morris sometimes covering on the left wing, and Clifton joining Orsi up top, but this is a rough approximation of the defensive shape)
Orsi

Then on the bench I'd go with:
Emmanuel (if efete has a poor game/tires, or if we need to sub a centre back then efete can slot into the back 3 with Emmanuel taking his spot)
Wearne (played as a left wing back at Torquay, but also provides another attacking option)
Green (no brainer, midfield option to grind out the game)
McAtee (bit of magic off the bench if needed)
O'Neill (thought he was the one bright spark against Swindon)
TDP
Lloyd (give the two new lads a bench spot as hopefully they can both offer a threat off the bench, although in slightly different ways from what little I've seen of them)

Scannell's lack of minutes would suggest he still isn't fully fit, so gives him a bit of time to get back to his best without risking injury.

Maybe quite an attacking bench, but gives us lots of options to change the game if we need a goal, with a solid base to build off from the Luton game.

What do you all think?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Mariner_09
February 1, 2023, 3:05pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
              Crocombe
      Smith Waterfall Maher
Michee Harry Gav Morris Glennon
             McAtee Orsi

Bench: Emmanuel, Pearson, Green, Hunt, O'Neill, Lloyd, TDP

That way we get three in midfield and a striker for McAtee to play off, think that's the way forward for the foreseeable.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 48
BeijingMariner
February 1, 2023, 3:22pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,677
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Mariner_09
              Crocombe
      Smith Waterfall Maher
             McAtee Orsi

Bench: Emmanuel, Pearson, Green, Hunt, O'Neill, Lloyd, TDP

That way we get three in midfield and a striker for McAtee to play off, think that's the way forward for the foreseeable.

I like that
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 2 - 48
Sigone
February 1, 2023, 3:29pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +12 / -4
Approval: +1,615
Gold Stars: 5
No way would I play Orsi, no reflection on his ability..just what if he gets injured, out for tuesday..nightmare..plus the work he will have to put in on Tuesday on his own..he needs to be 100%..

Crocombe
      Smith Waterfall Maher
                McAtee
                O'Neil
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 48
Mariner_09
February 1, 2023, 3:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Sigone
No way would I play Orsi, no reflection on his ability..just what if he gets injured, out for tuesday..nightmare..plus the work he will have to put in on Tuesday on his own..he needs to be 100%

I hadn't considered that. Certainly an argument for throwing Lloyd in there or playing O'Neill again, just think McAtee needs someone to play off and that's a priority when picking a team.

Three at back helps square the circle that is McAtee needing a striker to play off but also three midfielders in the team.

Private Message
Reply: 4 - 48
MarinerDevil
February 1, 2023, 3:50pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,779
Gold Stars: 80
I think he might start Lloyd, as he seems to be more of a link-up forward from what I've read and Orsi will probably be rested for Tuesday. Agree with everyone else that 3 CBs suit us at the moment, we look vulnerable with 4 at the back and we don't have any wide players fit.

Is there a case for dropping McAtee? Could O'Neill come into the no. 10 role?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 48
Mariner_09
February 1, 2023, 4:01pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from MarinerDevil
I think he might start Lloyd, as he seems to be more of a link-up forward from what I've read and Orsi will probably be rested for Tuesday. Agree with everyone else that 3 CBs suit us at the moment, we look vulnerable with 4 at the back and we don't have any wide players fit.

Is there a case for dropping McAtee? Could O'Neill come into the no. 10 role?

I'd give McAtee a chance to up his output with a striker and three midfielders on the pitch with him. If we don't see an uptick in form in the next 3-4 games then take him out.

Private Message
Reply: 6 - 48
Poojah
February 1, 2023, 4:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,667
Gold Stars: 1,508
It would seem harsh to make too many changes to personnel after last week’s heroics. Orsi has surely earned himself a consecutive start, and perhaps he’s the best foil for McAtee (who remains our best player, in form or not).

I really feel thee at the back is the way forward so realistically we have to lose a centre-mid from last week’s starting eleven. I think Hunt’s defensive inadequacies are less exposed in a 5, so:

Crocombe
Smith  Waterfall  Maher
Efete  Holohan  Hunt  Clifton  Glennon
            McAtee
Orsi    

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 48
lukeo
February 1, 2023, 4:42pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,395
Gold Stars: 149
Efete Smith Waterfall Maher Glennon
Clifton Green Holohan
O'niell and *insert new a name here*

532. I really like Hunt but for me we need a tough defensive midfielder with 2 more attacking infront, I personally think Holohan, for the majority of the season, has been overlooked regards how well he's playing.

This is just my opinion, I'm no doubt way off what the line up PH will put out. Either way I'm excited to watch the game Saturday. Utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 48
lukeo
February 1, 2023, 4:43pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,395
Gold Stars: 149
Efete  Waterfall Maher Glennon
Green Morris
Holohan mcatee clifton  
Oniell

This is what I think he will do.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 48
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Team for Crewe

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.