Stew0_0
February 1, 2023, 12:27pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,188
Gold Stars: 35
LEAVING...
Kiernan (half decent), JMD (good not a Hurst type), Pepple and Simmonds (too raw and not ready) and Richardson (decent but too many injury issues.

COMING IN...
O'NEILL -  a highly rated player from the championship, unlocks defences, creative, young and still improving
EMMANUEL - Good age and pedigree, again from the championship and regular in a side that finished champions in league one. We needed cover across defence and we've brought in a player with experience
LLOYD - A striker with a surprising amount of first team appearances for a 22 year old, in league one and 2.
Looks like he has the quick feet and mind of a Richardson, but works his N**ts off up front and terrorises defences. Could be the foil needed for McAtee and hopefully can add to his own goals tally.
DICKSON-PETERS - Another from the championship, highly regarding by his club to get a long term contract and scoring plenty of goals for their under 23s. Doesnt mean he will make the instant step up to mens football but did have some experience playing as a winger for Gillingham in league one last year (9 games).

Add to this that we now have a fit Scannell and Wearne back in the fold and I would say that the signings are decent without being some of the known names thrown in the ring during this window.

UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 117
MarinerDevil
February 1, 2023, 12:30pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,779
Gold Stars: 80
Did a bit of reading on 1FF this morning and Gillingham fans reckon Dickson-Peters is "lightweight" and "nowhere near Football League standard". Don't judge a player on a previous club's fans' feedback, and all that...

I don't think it's as big of a disaster as some do but it's a disappointing window for sure. We've essentially replaced our underwhelming young attacking loanees but with some other ones. We obviously hope they'll be able to make a positive contribution but there's no way we can be relying on them. We still need 20 points; I think we'll probably achieve that but we are in relegation form in the league and we needed improvements in a number of areas to be more confident of getting across the line. That's not easy to achieve in January but it looks like we've fallen short, unless the loanees add real quality.

On the other hand, Emmanuel is a good signing that no-one expected, so credit to the club for that one. I just hope we can churn out some points quickly in February so we can all relax a bit and enjoy our excellent cup run.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 117
DB
February 1, 2023, 1:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from GrimRob
We got the positions we needed but I think most people were hoping for longer-term signings than just a few months. PH is thorough and I trust him to have done the homework on the players. The problem with signing players for such short periods is that if they are any good they won't be here for long. The perceived lack of ambition is bound to be noticed by the better players in the squad as well, and we might end up losing some in the summer.

The problem for most on here was that PH talked about permanent signings in his first pre-match interview in January. This shortly went to permanent/loan signings and then descended to loans. Whilst we did not know who his targets were it would appear that he was knocked back from those he had earmarked as permanent signings.

As with any manager, you have plan A then moving on to plan B etc. I don't know how far down the road he went but I do trust his judgement. We will have to wait and see how the new guys mould in with the squad, I think Saturday's team sheet will be interesting.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 117
February 1, 2023, 1:27pm
Guest User
It was a wake up call. We were bookies’ favourites to go down at the start of the season. Players remember this. We have a reputation which needs shaking off, on and off the field. We’ll get there.
Reply: 13 - 117
Poojah
February 1, 2023, 1:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,667
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from 140381
It was a wake up call. We were bookies’ favourites to go down at the start of the season. Players remember this. We have a reputation which needs shaking off, on and off the field. We’ll get there.

We haven’t finished above 14th in League Two since 2006, approaching 17 years ago. You can understand why those looking in from outside don’t consider that a ‘blip’.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 117
HertsGTFC
February 1, 2023, 1:51pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
I would have liked one experienced striker to go with the young lads, I wasn't bothered if they where prolific scorers or hot properties but just someone with a bit of craft until Taylor is fit. However if the youngsters have pace that's a massive advantage at this level. Worth noting if he remain fit I guess Scanz is like having a new signing with experience.

In terms of defenders I think Emanuel is a decent signing and puts in cover and some competition for places across the back line.

In mid field we have numbers and in reality no less quality than any of the mid table clubs from what I can tell. Would have liked a 3rd keeper just in case but I think there is some flex on the rules on that if you end up compromised.

I don't expect any "names" in the summer window but would like to ensure we have better cover up front from a mix of youth and experience.

My overall reflection is that "Twitter" makes some players really good players and more importantly I'm 100% sure the club did all they could to improve us in this window.

P.S. I think the social media engagement from the club has gone a bit backwards since Sam left as he understood the supporters, and yes I'm being picky on that for sure.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 117
barrattstandman
February 1, 2023, 2:25pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +482
Gold Stars: 17
Connor Wickham remains a free agent . I thought someone higher up would have snapped him up . Would have been a statement if we could have got him just till the end of the season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 117
ex-merseymariner
February 1, 2023, 2:28pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,401
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from MarinerDevil
We've essentially replaced our underwhelming young attacking loanees but with some other ones.

Didn't we do the same last year when we sent revan and bapaga back and got raikhy, mani etc?

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 117
lew chaterleys lover
February 1, 2023, 2:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from barrattstandman
Connor Wickham remains a free agent . I thought someone higher up would have snapped him up . Would have been a statement if we could have got him just till the end of the season

Good spot but I think we all know we have zero intention of getting a prized asset like him.

That's not a problem if the strategy is to get young players and sell them on, but no point in keep hoping for the impossible.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 117
pontoonlew
February 1, 2023, 2:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
For me, the disappointing part is not the fact we didn't get Dallas/Vernam (although that is obviously not ideal).

The disappointing part is the realisation we're not quite in the position that most of us thought/hoped we were. I genuinely thought we could start to be a real force, we weren't going to get in a bunch of kids again, we were going to deliver on the promise to strengthen every window and the new recruitment team would give us an edge.

The fact that none of that has been delivered makes me extremely worried for the summer, and that's the bit that stings. It was so painfully obvious what was going to happen after about 2 weeks of January and a lot of those alarm bells were shouted down.

I get that we have issues with location, but we're not the only ones and others have brought in permanent players. No doubt we've been unlucky with some bits, but there are some things that will have no doubt have been in our control and i'd really like Hurst & JS to admit to what they were and tell us how they're going to put it right.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 117
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Transfer Window Reflection Thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.