crusty ole pie
January 24, 2023, 7:41am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,384
Gold Stars: 66
Quoted from monkeyboy
Need the Ross family to invest. we could easily be chanpionship with their dosh.

That boat has  sailed
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 18
chaos33
January 24, 2023, 7:49am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,974
Gold Stars: 360
The problem with that notion though is that what it effectively means is ‘we need them to loan the club money’. The concept of investment usually implies a return. Investing in your local football club isn’t likely to bring financial gains, at least not directly, although there are other joys, some would argue, better than money.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 18
White_shorts
January 25, 2023, 5:05pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -648
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from Poojah

I don’t think getting back there is necessarily beyond us. But certainly to stay there for a meaningful period of time without the backing of someone willing and able to underwrite substantial losses is a near impossibility.

Grimsby Town FC might struggle to stay in the Championship, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't aim to reach that level.  A new 15k stadium would not be an embarrassment in the second tier.

The best way to ensure we don't drop into non-league again is to not be in League Two.  The best way to avoid being in League Two is to be competitive in League One.  The best way to be competitive in League One is to strive for promotion to the Championship.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 18
LocalLadGTFC
January 25, 2023, 5:10pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,311
Gold Stars: 137
[sup][/sup]
Quoted from White_shorts

Grimsby Town FC might struggle to stay in the Championship, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't aim to reach that level.  A new 15k stadium would not be an embarrassment in the second tier.

The best way to ensure we don't drop into non-league again is to not be in League Two.  The best way to avoid being in League Two is to be competitive in League One.  The best way to be competitive in League One is to strive for promotion to the Championship.

Scunthorpe were in the playoffs in league 1 5 years ago. Southend were knocking on the door of the championship, I think the business model of the club isn’t the problem. It’s just the business model of others seems to be chuck a excrement tonne of money at the wall and hope it sticks. Which sometimes works if you look at Fleetwood for example. I’d much rather us follow the Accrington Stanley way of doing things which is what JS&AP have in mind.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 13 - 18
HertsGTFC
January 25, 2023, 5:33pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from White_shorts

Why would we need a 15,000 capacity stadium?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 18
chaos33
January 25, 2023, 5:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Dont you think we do?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 18
HertsGTFC
January 25, 2023, 6:55pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from chaos33
Dont you think we do?

I think we need a new ground but would struggle to have it looking anywhere near full at 15000 capacity

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 18
RichMariner
January 25, 2023, 10:26pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,159
Gold Stars: 210
The worry, if you're Preston, is falling into L1 with debts like that. If the owner wants to withdraw and sell the club, it's far less valuable in L1.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 17 - 18
chaos33
January 26, 2023, 5:57am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I think we need a new ground but would struggle to have it looking anywhere near full at 15000 capacity

I think we have the scope to fill it on occasion or at least operate at more than half to two thirds capacity. Doncaster’s stadium holds 15000. Rotherham’s, which is better looking in my view, holds 12000. Something akin to that would be realistic for us I reckon. I see us as a club that could and should expect and strive for being a competitive, sustainable L1 outfit. In my view we should aim to challenge for a crack at the championship in the long term but I really can’t see how we could expect to survive there. It’s mega money and I’m not sure if there are any examples of clubs who aren’t in massive debt. Being solid in L1, playing entertaining football would be success.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 18
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Crazy or madness

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.