4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Son of Cod
January 19, 2023, 10:31pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Absolutely loads of posts in the transfer window thread and almost 10 and a half minutes of a 14 minute match preview talking about transfers later and you could be forgiven for forgetting that we've got a match to win on Saturday.

Hurst saying Waterfall is still feeling his back and that this is "not  ideal" but then coming across all coy so I think we can safely say he's gonna be back. I'd go back to four at the back with Efete, Waterfall, Maher and Glennon. Green sitting in front of them, as we bossed the majority of the match when Green sat deeper at their place. In the middle I'd rest Holohan and bring in Morris. Up top Kiernan has to come back in for me, and if Scannell is fully fit which you assume he is as he's on the bench all the time then consider him too surely. We need to go for this and I know it'll never happen but I'd love to see us start those two with Khan and McAtee who were both shockingly poor on Saturday and should have rockets up their arses.

Richardson is out according to Hurst, same back problem as before and there's one mystery injury too.

We've played against some players that have absolutely ran riot against us over the last month. Galbraith and Smith for Salford and Williams and Hutton for Swindon but you'd have to put Armstrong for Harrogate up there with them. Both Salford and Swindon battered us but both are much better than us in the middle of the park, considerably so too. Harrogate aren't though and they beat us by capitalising on ridiculous errors. If we can stay switched on and keep Armstrong, Muldoon, Coley and Folarin quiet we can beat this lot.

UTM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Son of Cod
January 19, 2023, 10:34pm
Champagne Drinker
Oh and if you're wondering about Max Wright, since he came on vs us he's had 15 mins off the bench vs Bradford and 5 vs Stevenage on Saturday so he is fit. Hopefully he'll get a good reception from the home crowd if he comes on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 37
chaos33
January 19, 2023, 10:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,971
Gold Stars: 361
I’d bring Hunt in as Harrogate aren’t physically big in the middle.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 37
MarinerDevil
January 19, 2023, 10:59pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,779
Gold Stars: 80
I think Scannell will need a few more sub appearances before he can be considered for a start, just to ease him back in.

If Waterfall is back then it's tempting to go with a similar lineup to the Stockport game and just grind out a result. Obviously Harrogate are a different side though and there will be different tactical considerations. Agreed on Kiernan starting, we're a better side when he plays.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 37
Son of Cod
January 19, 2023, 11:04pm
Champagne Drinker
Yeah, I was surprised about their midfield too chaos. I thought we were much more aggressive than theirs, I wasn't expecting that.
Quoted from MarinerDevil
I think Scannell will need a few more sub appearances before he can be considered for a start, just to ease him back in.

If Waterfall is back then it's tempting to go with a similar lineup to the Stockport game and just grind out a result. Obviously Harrogate are a different side though and there will be different tactical considerations. Agreed on Kiernan starting, we're a better side when he plays.

Yeah you're probably right regarding Scannell, don't think we've seen him on the pitch in 2023 have we though? Need to get them minutes in him if that's the case.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 37
lukeo
January 20, 2023, 5:54am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,395
Gold Stars: 149

Efete Smith maher glennon
Hunt clifton Green
kiernan o'niel khan
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 37
chaos33
January 20, 2023, 7:04am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,971
Gold Stars: 361
You’d drop McAtee?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 37
lukeo
January 20, 2023, 7:27am
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from chaos33
You’d drop McAtee?

Yes. He's been one of, if not the weakest link in the side recently.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 37
Les Brechin
January 20, 2023, 8:56am

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,717
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from lukeo

Efete Smith maher glennon
Hunt clifton Green
kiernan o'niel khan

Are we playing rush keeper?  

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 37
ska face
January 20, 2023, 9:13am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,753
Gold Stars: 851
Quoted from lukeo

Yes. He's been one of, if not the weakest link in the side recently.

Absolutely insane statement when we’ve conceded 4 and 5 recently
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 37
Spurn boy
January 20, 2023, 9:13am

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,264
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from Son of Cod
Oh and if you're wondering about Max Wright, since he came on vs us he's had 15 mins off the bench vs Bradford and 5 vs Stevenage on Saturday so he is fit. Hopefully he'll get a good reception from the home crowd if he comes on.

Harrogate are in the process of trying to loan Max Wright to a team that will give him games to build his fitness levels up so I wouldn’t expect him to play.

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 37
barralad
January 20, 2023, 11:18am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,297
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from Son of Cod
Absolutely loads of posts in the transfer window thread and almost 10 and a half minutes of a 14 minute match preview talking about transfers later and you could be forgiven for forgetting that we've got a match to win on Saturday.

Hurst saying Waterfall is still feeling his back and that this is "not  ideal" but then coming across all coy so I think we can safely say he's gonna be back. I'd go back to four at the back with Efete, Waterfall, Maher and Glennon. Green sitting in front of them, as we bossed the majority of the match when Green sat deeper at their place. In the middle I'd rest Holohan and bring in Morris. Up top Kiernan has to come back in for me, and if Scannell is fully fit which you assume he is as he's on the bench all the time then consider him too surely. We need to go for this and I know it'll never happen but I'd love to see us start those two with Khan and McAtee who were both shockingly poor on Saturday and should have rockets up their arses.

Richardson is out according to Hurst, same back problem as before and there's one mystery injury too.

We've played against some players that have absolutely ran riot against us over the last month. Galbraith and Smith for Salford and Williams and Hutton for Swindon but you'd have to put Armstrong for Harrogate up there with them. Both Salford and Swindon battered us but both are much better than us in the middle of the park, considerably so too. Harrogate aren't though and they beat us by capitalising on ridiculous errors. If we can stay switched on and keep Armstrong, Muldoon, Coley and Folarin quiet we can beat this lot.

UTM.

Khan was subbed at the time of the sending off for tactical reasons. Shockingly poor seems harsh.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 37
Son of Cod
January 20, 2023, 11:52am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from barralad

Khan was subbed at the time of the sending off for tactical reasons. Shockingly poor seems harsh.

That was still about 25 mins in though (accounting for the ref going down). I forgot he was on the pitch prior to him being subbed off, was completely anonymous. Would you be pulling someone up for saying a sub coming on for 25 mins at the end of match was shockingly bad if they were?

That Hurst took him off and left an 18 year debutant on who plays centrally, sacrificing our only natural width up front tells you he was having a stinker. Yeah, he might have come to life if he'd have stayed on the pitch, that's a fair point but all I have to go on is what I saw. Both him and McAtee had their worst matches in Town shirts that I've seen.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 37
GrimPol
January 20, 2023, 1:19pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -785
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from Son of Cod

That was still about 25 mins in though (accounting for the ref going down). I forgot he was on the pitch prior to him being subbed off, was completely anonymous. Would you be pulling someone up for saying a sub coming on for 25 mins at the end of match was shockingly bad if they were?

That Hurst took him off and left an 18 year debutant on who plays centrally, sacrificing our only natural width up front tells you he was having a stinker. Yeah, he might have come to life if he'd have stayed on the pitch, that's a fair point but all I have to go on is what I saw. Both him and McAtee had their worst matches in Town shirts that I've seen.

PH has a dilemma in McAtee. If McAtee didn't play so well, last season, he wouldn't be playing now. He's playing due to history not current form.
PH is hoping (and all of us) that by playing him, he will "click" into gear. Currently with McAtee Town is playing with 10.5 men and so the team is vulnerable as all defences start with attack.
Once our opposition figures out we are not potent going forward, they can attack in greater numbers. We are overwhelmed.
Play McAtee and get thumped, don't play him and he doesn't come back as before. Who would be a manager eh?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 37
Rodley Mariner
January 20, 2023, 1:21pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,257
Gold Stars: 178
McAtee hasn't been at his best playing out of position but the idea he's only worth 0.5 of a player is just ridiculous. Get a prevailing wind on something on here and it's amazing how it gains pace and becomes some sort of regurgitated perceived wisdom.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 37
diehardmariner
January 20, 2023, 1:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Unpopular as it may be, McAtee hasn't looked anywhere near as effective this season.

That's probably for a number of reasons, main one is how we're setting up and using him.  He's not someone who leads the line as his natural game. His natural game is buzzing in and around someone else.

Seen some suggestions that he's got too big for his boots, which are absolutely rubbish to me. He's just playing in a position that doesn't suit him.  He's still grafting and giving everything for the team. But he's also clearly frustrated with a lack of support and a lack of goals, that's coming across with his snatching at chances and he looks desperate for a break.

I think Hurst might need to make a brave decision and take him out the firing line for a bit. As it happens he'll get the chance to do that when we play Luton, but I wouldn't object to seeing a front 3 of Khan, O'Neill and Kiernan tomorrow. If we are going to play McAtee, I only really want it to be at the top of the midfield 3.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 37
Mariner_09
January 20, 2023, 1:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from diehardmariner
Unpopular as it may be, McAtee hasn't looked anywhere near as effective this season.

That's probably for a number of reasons, main one is how we're setting up and using him.  He's not someone who leads the line as his natural game. His natural game is buzzing in and around someone else.

Seen some suggestions that he's got too big for his boots, which are absolutely rubbish to me. He's just playing in a position that doesn't suit him.  He's still grafting and giving everything for the team. But he's also clearly frustrated with a lack of support and a lack of goals, that's coming across with his snatching at chances and he looks desperate for a break.

I think Hurst might need to make a brave decision and take him out the firing line for a bit. As it happens he'll get the chance to do that when we play Luton, but I wouldn't object to seeing a front 3 of Khan, O'Neill and Kiernan tomorrow. If we are going to play McAtee, I only really want it to be at the top of the midfield 3.

I'd like to see him play Hunt/Morris in midfield with that though. I'd definitely be dropping Gav tomorrow who was woeful last Saturday and similarly dismal against Salford. He was also very poor against Burton for one half, excellent in the other though. But I want more of a natural ball player in there.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 37
diehardmariner
January 20, 2023, 1:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Agreed. I think if you go with a front 3 of those mentioned, you need someone behind them to find them.

A midfield 3 from Holohan, Green, Morris and Clifton isn't going to provide that.  I like Holohan but he hasn't looked at his best of late. I'd go with Clifton and Green then either McAtee or Hunt
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 37
Mariner_09
January 20, 2023, 1:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from diehardmariner
Agreed. I think if you go with a front 3 of those mentioned, you need someone behind them to find them.

A midfield 3 from Holohan, Green, Morris and Clifton isn't going to provide that.  I like Holohan but he hasn't looked at his best of late. I'd go with Clifton and Green then either McAtee or Hunt

I wouldn't be surprised if he went with a back three tomorrow, even if that means playing Pearson if Waterfall isn't fit.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 37
Stew0_0
January 20, 2023, 3:27pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,188
Gold Stars: 35
                 Crocombe

Efete.   Smith.  Maher.    Glennon.

Clifton.   Green.   Morris
                                               Khan
             O'Neill
                           McAtee

How about this with 3 across the middle but with Clifton drifting across to the right when we need him too so we can play with a winger in Khan and a player up with McAtee in O'Neill.
Asks alot of Harry but hes up to it

UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 37
AdamHaddock
January 20, 2023, 3:56pm

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +37 / -5
Approval: +2,834
Gold Stars: 26
Osmond stand is open for town fans, with Harrogate bunged in the corner

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 37
zorro_is_a_Mariner
January 20, 2023, 4:31pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +30 / -6
Approval: +1,369
Gold Stars: 4
Pitch inspection for 11am

Gtfc all the way
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 37
Theimperialcoroner
January 20, 2023, 4:39pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,255
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from zorro_is_a_Mariner
Pitch inspection for 11am

How cold is it in Meggies? Lincoln this morning was rock hard and did think it might be in doubt.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 37
zorro_is_a_Mariner
January 20, 2023, 4:41pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +30 / -6
Approval: +1,369
Gold Stars: 4
Goes to minus 1 for an hour tonight but 3 degrees by the time of a pitch inspection, hoping its on its About 5 degrees atm.

Gtfc all the way
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 37
MuddyWaters
January 20, 2023, 4:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,277
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

How cold is it in Meggies? Lincoln this morning was rock hard and did think it might be in doubt.

Talk of minus three or four tonight. That said, it’s been 6c today so I’m wondering how long it’s beer covered.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 37
Hagrid
January 20, 2023, 4:44pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,489
Gold Stars: 536
Its been in a shocking state for weeks hasnt it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 37
pontoonlew
January 20, 2023, 4:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
An 11am pitch inspection usually spells game off but the forecast is better than Tranmere was and we got that on
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 37
Chrisblor
January 20, 2023, 4:46pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,933
Gold Stars: 238
Surely this should be fine with pitch covers on overnight? It's only forecast to fall to -2c in the early hours tomorrow before warming up by midday according to the met office.

gary jones
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 37
Hagrid
January 20, 2023, 4:47pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,489
Gold Stars: 536
Quoted from Chrisblor
Surely this should be fine with pitch covers on overnight? It's only forecast to fall to -2c in the early hours tomorrow before warming up by midday according to the met office.

Guess it depends if we’ve protected it this week as well as it being in an already bad way
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 37
MuddyWaters
January 20, 2023, 4:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,277
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Chrisblor

Depends how long the covers have been on. Ground was rock solid on Wednesday when we played golf.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 37
Son of Cod
January 20, 2023, 4:54pm
Champagne Drinker
Donny v Tranmere has just been called off.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 37
Les Brechin
January 20, 2023, 5:05pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,717
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Talk of minus three or four tonight. That said, it’s been 6c today so I’m wondering how long it’s beer covered.

All the players will be drunk then!  

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 37
bradzmilne
January 20, 2023, 5:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,428
Gold Stars: 30
I cannot pretend to be a groundsman… Or even a semi-decent gardener, being completely honest.

However, I work locally to BP and our field has thawed out over the duration of the day.

Bar potentially the infamous “Findus Shadow” the rest of the pitch should have frozen and thawed naturally.

Get the covers on from late afternoon and SURELY we’re good to go?

UTM

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 37
BrMarin
January 20, 2023, 5:43pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +17 / -2
Approval: +96
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from GrimPol

PH has a dilemma in McAtee. If McAtee didn't play so well, last season, he wouldn't be playing now. He's playing due to history not current form.
PH is hoping (and all of us) that by playing him, he will "click" into gear. Currently with McAtee Town is playing with 10.5 men and so the team is vulnerable as all defences start with attack.
Once our opposition figures out we are not potent going forward, they can attack in greater numbers. We are overwhelmed.
Play McAtee and get thumped, don't play him and he doesn't come back as before. Who would be a manager eh?

Makes you wonder what would have happened if we hadn't taken Luton's amazing "undisclosed + Pepple" offer. Would he be thinking about signing a contract extension with us about now? We might as well have turned the offer down because there are obviously no replacement strikers available for whatever fee we got anyway.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 37
WOZOFGRIMSBY
January 20, 2023, 5:55pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,908
Gold Stars: 180
Quoted from Les Brechin

All the players will be drunk then!  

Dejavu

Attachment: 2020baf47b8b46528ff1d2f7192bba69_8058.jpeg
Size: 32.53 KB

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 37
lukeo
January 21, 2023, 7:53am
Season Ticket Holder
Glad most agree that McAtee is out of form at the moment and I'm not in the minority. I'm not for a second slating his commitment because he seems up for it pre match all the time, I just don't feel like his effort , movement and involvement is as much as it was and personally think we'd be better off with someone else at the moment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 37
Limerick Mariner
January 21, 2023, 9:40am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,720
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from lukeo
Glad most agree that McAtee is out of form at the moment and I'm not in the minority. I'm not for a second slating his commitment because he seems up for it pre match all the time, I just don't feel like his effort , movement and involvement is as much as it was and personally think we'd be better off with someone else at the moment.

Or play him in his best position...

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 37
toontown
January 21, 2023, 12:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

Or play him in his best position...

This. Except we haven't even got a backup to taylor meaning we struggle to. We've allowed ourselves to be in a right pickle up front unfortunately.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 37
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Harrogate Saturday

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.