Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Fans Forum rearranged.
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 202 Guests

Fans Forum rearranged.

This thread currently has 12,271 views. Print
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
jamesgtfc
January 20, 2023, 8:12am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from aldi_01

Perhaps they will but fans, on the whole are a little more undertaking of the difficulties sometimes in bringing players in. At our level you’d imagine the cost of living and so forth is coming in to play when players are making decisions, so that will impact moves etc.

It’s all well and good a few man babies jumping up and down demanding players etc but we’ve been told, pretty clearly really, that the reputation of the club still needs some work because of what’s gone on before and just signing players isn’t always a solution…

I’m sure some boring girl private will moan about not receiving a reply to an email though, or want to know what food outlets will be at a stadium that’s not even designed yet, let alone built, perhaps someone will female dog and moan about advertising boards and then compare us to Clee Town🙄

In truth, even if Stockwood and Petit turned up dressed as Mr Tumble and sang nursery rhymes, it still wouldn’t be as bad as that fateful fans forum…

Serious question Aldi, do you think the commercial side of the club is being run well currently?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 149
aldi_01
January 20, 2023, 8:26am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Serious question Aldi, do you think the commercial side of the club is being run well currently?

Compared to what? The previous state of the club or a club that’s had solid processes embedded in the club/businesses…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 149
jamesgtfc
January 20, 2023, 8:54am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from aldi_01

Compared to what? The previous state of the club or a club that’s had solid processes embedded in the club/businesses…

Compared to the days of Dave Smith running the show where kits arrived on time, customers actually got contacted, half time raffle tickets got sold, advertising boards were filled and the two tiered nameless stand actually had a name.

I'm not disputing that Dave Smith probably had his faults but the customers liked him and wanted to continue doing business with him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 149
pen penfras
January 21, 2023, 10:49am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -130
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from aldi_01

What are these solid processes that are embedded? This is just management jargon that is meaningless. What evidence is there that things are actually improving commercially? What seeds have been planted that we will be reaping the rewards of in the next few seasons?

I'm not being cynical, maybe there is something. But all I can see is a big turnover in staff, a lot more office roles and very little change regarding what we're doing strategically. Other than the boost that happened as a result of the unbelievable end of last season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 149
pen penfras
January 21, 2023, 10:52am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -130
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Compared to the days of Dave Smith running the show where kits arrived on time, customers actually got contacted, half time raffle tickets got sold, advertising boards were filled and the two tiered nameless stand actually had a name.

I'm not disputing that Dave Smith probably had his faults but the customers liked him and wanted to continue doing business with him.

Dave Smith was exceptional at looking after our customers. He wasn't great at bringing in new ones. We've replaced him with somebody that is focused on the polar opposite. There was maybe a need for it being a 2 person role.

This is very risky, because if things continue the way they have the last couple of months then we could well lose some long term sponsors and new ones aren't easy to find when the going gets tough.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 149
forza ivano
January 21, 2023, 4:57pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,269
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from pen penfras

Dave Smith was exceptional at looking after our customers. He wasn't great at bringing in new ones. We've replaced him with somebody that is focused on the polar opposite. There was maybe a need for it being a 2 person role.

This is very risky, because if things continue the way they have the last couple of months then we could well lose some long term sponsors and new ones aren't easy to find when the going gets tough.

this is likely to be a first - I'm agreeing with pen; from what I've heard I think his first para is spot on.
Looks like the new strategy is to get new ,bigger paying sponsors. As Pen said you still need to look after the long term, smaller sponsors
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 149
arryarryarry
January 21, 2023, 6:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,038
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from pen penfras

The dealings I had with Dave Smith he was a top bloke, from what I have heard his replacement knows frig all about football clubs and so far there have been no announcements of new client investment even though there are now two commercial managers.
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 149
MarinerDevil
January 21, 2023, 6:55pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,779
Gold Stars: 80
Stockwood said that they were looking at changing the type of sponsorships going forward, he wanted each one to be more of a "partnership". This could improve our long-term commercial income, but we'll have to wait a couple of years to judge that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 149
ginnywings
January 21, 2023, 7:08pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
It's amazing to me how much criticism the new owners get because "they don't do things the way they've always been done and with the same people".

Sometimes wonder how they both got to be multi millionaires.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 149
heppy88
January 21, 2023, 8:03pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from ginnywings
It's amazing to me how much criticism the new owners get because "they don't do things the way they've always been done and with the same people".

Sometimes wonder how they both got to be multi millionaires.

I'm not reading criticism. Its not criticism to question how things are working, improving, not working so well, highlighting areas for improvement. Its not criticism to debate the progress, or perceived lack of progress regarding the club, on and off the pitch.  

Reading a few of the threads and posts recently, it is clear a few posters get seriously prickly, when others point out areas of the club that may still need improving, areas that we may have expected some improvement already.

Its healthy to promote transparency, discussion and debate. I thought that was one of the main aims of 1878? I've been shocked how quickly some posters are shot down just because their views on the club/owners don't align with other posters.

Isn't the whole point of The Fishy to have a place where we can debate and share views, even if some views diverge from ours? FFS we are all Town aren't  we?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 149
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Fans Forum rearranged.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.