January 16, 2023, 5:06pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +844
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from samg

Do VPN's slow down your internet speed?

They can if you get a dud - there's also overheads of encryption & going over another 'hop' to get to your destination - can be faster if your ISP's main routes are suffering congestion. A good one using the Wireguard protocol you won't notice much difference though.

You can disable it when you don't need it too so doesn't make much difference in the end.

Here's mine (Surfshark - got a good cashback deal on Topcashback so it was only like £40 for 3 years or something)

Disabled:

[img]https://www.speedtest.net/result/14216733009.png[/img]

Enabled:

[img]https://www.speedtest.net/result/14216748633.png[/img]

They've got multiple locations so could be even closer in speed if I tried a few others.

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 10 - 36
Gaffer58
January 16, 2023, 5:24pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,097
Gold Stars: 33
I never realised that so many fishy folks knew how to speak mandarin, well that’s what this whole thread seems like to me. Learning all about this technical stuff is a bit like not learning to play a musical instrument in my youth, afraid now Im that old and set in my ways that switching the telly on is as far as I can understand.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 36
BenBB
January 16, 2023, 5:30pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +844
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from Gaffer58
I never realised that so many fishy folks knew how to speak mandarin, well that’s what this whole thread seems like to me. Learning all about this technical stuff is a bit like not learning to play a musical instrument in my youth, afraid now Im that old and set in my ways that switching the telly on is as far as I can understand.

It's not really that technical (at least the main concept)!

In layman's terms a VPN (virtual private network) in this context is a service which "tunnels" your internet traffic through a different server.

A normal connection like the one you're using to access The Fishy goes: You -> Internet Service Provider (e.g. Virgin Media/BT/Vodafone etc.) -> Website

A VPN connection goes: You -> Internet Service Provider -> VPN Provider -> Website

By doing this additional hop you can pretend you're in a different country depending on where the VPN provider is based as the website at the end can only see one step backwards.

It also has the benefit of providing additional encryption as your internet provider can not see any of the data that you're sending to the website as it's encrypted between you and the provider. Handy if you're on public Wi-Fi for example as no-one on the same network will be able to snoop on you. Can also circumvent blocks that your internet provider applies.

Most services like the big ones (Surfshark/NordVPN etc. etc.) are very straightforward to use - literally pressing a button on an app and you're done.

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 12 - 36
Simon
January 16, 2023, 5:32pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Approval: +234
Friend of a friend has a firestick but struggles to watch the football on it, can watch movies etc with no issues but while watching the footy he said it just keeps buffering, apparently

All Town aren't we ..... UTM  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 36
acko338
January 16, 2023, 6:38pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,230
Surfshark for VPN works well, I am led to believe, but some live viewing is opposition commentating, which can be muted if annoying.

I live in Paris, France, apparently!!

Also use Surfshark on my phone when on public wi-fi.

A loaded Firestick can also travel on holidays or hotel trips so as not to miss anything !!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 36
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
January 16, 2023, 6:43pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.78
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +886
Gold Stars: 120
I 'allegedly' use Zenmate to download torrents from various websites that are blocked by my ISP. Apparantly through Zenmate, and for free, you can show as downloading from Germany, Romania, America and Singapore. All work fantastically fast, so I hear. I might have just clicked on the 'streaming' option and they currently have an offer on an upgrade to Zenmate Pro, which then gives you 81 countries to connect through, costs as little as £1.33 a MONTH over 3 years (£51.84 for 3 years including 3 free months)

ALLEGEDLY

APPARANTLY

SO I HEAR

I BELIEVE
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 36
diehardmariner
January 16, 2023, 7:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from Simon
Friend of a friend has a firestick but struggles to watch the football on it, can watch movies etc with no issues but while watching the footy he said it just keeps buffering, apparently

Clear caches on all apps (make sure it's caches, not data).
Restart Firestick.

Switch router off for a minute, then back on again.

Do regularly and definitely before watching football.

Disclaimer: So I've heard
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 36
lukeo
January 16, 2023, 7:19pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,395
Gold Stars: 149
PMd you Simon
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 36
lukeo
January 16, 2023, 7:20pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,395
Gold Stars: 149
Quoted from diehardmariner

Clear caches on all apps (make sure it's caches, not data).
Restart Firestick.

Switch router off for a minute, then back on again.

Do regularly and definitely before watching football.

Disclaimer: So I've heard

This works but if you have it without a built in vpn then it will still lag from time to time... have it with a built in vpn, you very rarely have to do it
Apparently.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 36
The Yard Dog
January 16, 2023, 8:03pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,514
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from Les Brechin

Is that a typo?  

now now Les
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 36
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 3pm kick off on firestick

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.