6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
supertown
January 16, 2023, 1:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,461
Gold Stars: 53
If someone is stepping up to make you offside, you are immediately interfering. He wouldn’t step up if you wasn’t there
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 50
aldi_01
January 17, 2023, 7:05am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
They’ve interpreted the law in an extremely literary sense but in truth, even with the law, you can argue all you like but Rashford is offside, in an offside position and is interfering.

If they’re arguing Rashford being only a few inches from the ball isn’t offside then you may as well stick someone on the six yard line to mirror the movement of the keeper…under the interpretation used in this instance they couldn’t be offside…

I’m also cynical to think had that goal been against Man Utd or indeed at most other games it would’ve been disallowed…

They’ll argue they’re right and had behind interpretation but there’s not a real football fan anywhere, really, that thinks the goal should’ve stood…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 50
Brummie Codfather
January 17, 2023, 7:39am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +878
Gold Stars: 22
By the rules it’s onside, but anyone that’s played or watched football will say it should be offside.  The powers that be think have really messed up the offside rule and the handball rule.
FIFA/UEFA/FA have also taken away the ability of referees to apply their judgement in decisions trying to make everything black and white (and not in the good way!). I think it comes down to the money at the top of the game and the thought that a bad decision can cost x amount of millions so they feel the need to have as absolute rules as possible.  There aren’t thoughts of how much it’s effecting the quality of the game itself though.
The Man United conspiracies are boring, it’s happening everywhere at the top of the game.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 50
RichMariner
January 17, 2023, 8:21am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,160
Gold Stars: 211
It was offside.

I get why a couple of people think it might be onside, but they're scraping the barrel a bit. Not sure if it's to play devil's advocate or what, but the simple truth is that the rules are not clear and cannot be universally understood or applied consistently.

I've read the rules, heard the arguments and I'm still of the opinion that Rashford was interfering with play.

There's no way Fernandez would've got the ball had Rashford put his hands up in the way that players sometimes do when they know they're offside and clearly affecting play.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 43 - 50
Abdul19
January 17, 2023, 9:39am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,576
Gold Stars: 218
I reckon Rashford could've shoulder barged the defender into the post a la Jack Lester and Steve Walsh and Peter Walton would be saying that it's fine because he didn't touch the ball.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 50
Stadium
January 17, 2023, 5:15pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.77
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19
When the manager of the team who scored admits that he'd have been annoyed at the goal, you know something's not 100% right, but one former Premier League referee thinks Marcus Rashford's offside in the Manchester derby was an open and shut case.

Rashford was beyond the final defender and in an offside position when Casermiro played the ball that would lead to Bruno Fernandes equalising for Manchester United against Manchester City on Saturday.

The assistant referees flag went up straight away and Manuel Akanji, whose decision to stop running allowed Fernandes to get in and score the goal, and Pep Guardiola must have been pretty happy.

However, after a conversation between assistant Darren Cann and referee Stuart Attwell saw the goal overturned, before United went on to score the winner.

It was no surprise that anyone connected to City was annoyed at the decision and even United boss Erik ten Hag accepted their position, saying, "I can see it from the other side as well," the United boss told BT Sport.

Former Chelsea goalkeeper Petr Cech went viral for his take on the offside, and most people were in agreement the goal shouldn't have stood.

However, former Premier League official Chris Foy, writing in his Daily Mail column explained that Attwell and Cann were correct to give the goal.

"It's no surprise that opinions are divided over Manchester United's equaliser but I can see absolutely no reason why the goal should not have stood," he penned.

"Assistant Darren Cann raised his flag after Bruno Fernandes put the ball in the net, because Marcus Rashford had been in an offside position when the ball was played through.

"Referee Stuart Attwell consulted Cann and between them they agreed that Rashford had not touched the ball nor had any impact on a City player.

"The offside law, Law 11, says a player can be penalised if he's interfering with an opponent by making an obvious action 'which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball.'"

Foy's explanation continues what BT Sport pundit, and former referee, Peter Walton said at the time live on TV, but not with many people's opinions
Essentially, as Foy wrote later, the decision was subjective and was decided on whether or not Rashford's run towards the ball changed anything for the defenders.

Speaking about his part, Akanji told BBC Sport, "I saw Rashford, he was clearly offside, so I played him offside.

"He runs until the last second and he stops when the ball is in front of him and he’s right in front of [goalkeeper Ederson], ready to score the goal, because Bruno Fernandes is shouting [at] him."

The centre back chose to stop running because Rashford was in an offside position so in that scenario, had the striker then stopped running, Fernandes still would have beaten the defender to the ball to score.

The counter argument that the England forward was interfering with play is also very obvious to give so it seems it does just come down to opinion.

Similar to Mohamed Salah's goal for Liverpool but it's the wording of the law that makes little sense against Wolves in the FA Cup recently, the offside rule will continue to cause problems because officials are applying it correctly

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 50
RonMariner
January 17, 2023, 6:49pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,797
Gold Stars: 226
Looks to me as if the keeper is moving into position to deal with a shot from Rashford, and so Rashford was definitely interfering with play.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 50
Grimsby2012
January 17, 2023, 7:02pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +12 / -8
Approval: -1,464
I'm on the fence with this one. It's not as simple as what some people are stating.... People are trying to simplify it when in reality, it's not.

Either way, it's not Rashfords, nor is it the team's fault. You are taught to play to the whistle. The offside and interviewing with play laws are very loose in matters like this. It really comes down to two things. Did Rashford touch the ball? Did he make efforts to move out of the way? and did he obstruct the Goalkeeper's view?

- Well he never touched the ball
- He didn't move away from he ball, but the momentum of the play could be argued.
- He was nowhere near the goalkeeper.

In fact, it was simply bad defending from City. As i said, you play to the whistle where you're scoring a goal or defending. City defenders switched off completely and they only have themselves to blame.

I blocked seeing red ticks years ago so go ahead   If I don't reply to you then i didn't read your replies  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 50
Eastendmariner
January 17, 2023, 9:07pm
Mariners Trust Life Member
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -5
Approval: +942
absolute farce VAR incompetence at the highest level  making one of footballs simplest rules  mind boggling this rule changes every week  what a mess

Mariner Trust Life Member  

Seen the Mariners win AWAY at 70 league Grounds

Grounds Visited 281[img][/img]

Blundell Park a Training ground for bum ref's
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 50
aldi_01
January 18, 2023, 7:03am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I find it hilarious that the interpretation of the law and various others have become more complex and controversial since the introduction of something that was introduced to eradicate that…

Without VAR that goal is flagged offside, is given offside and nobody moans and we all crack on…simples.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 50
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Off Side or not Off side

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.