Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Wrexham v Bromley  (BT Sport 1)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 209 Guests

Wrexham v Bromley  (BT Sport 1)

This thread currently has 3,421 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
thornemariner
January 10, 2023, 10:08pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +665
Gold Stars: 22
Good luck to Wrexham. Their support held up very well after relegation in 2008. They've had even more traumatic times than us what with attempts made to take the ground away from the club.

They had similar sized support to us when we got promoted to the second flight in 1980. They'd been up there for a few years at that time.

I'd back Wrexham all the time against the likes of Bromley, a truly toxic club in my experience.

I've actually been impressed that they were getting 4000+ after a decade in the fifth tier, a length of sentence that we thankfully never endured. We were barely pulling 2000 at the end of our first season and plenty of our crowds struggled to get much above 3000 subsequently.

If any fans in the National League deserve a promotion for sticking by their club and successfully fighting off predators it is Wrexham's. Okay, we may find the media circus around them tiresome but I doubt we would have complained if we had been the beneficiaries prior to our own takeover.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 20
Zmariner
January 11, 2023, 9:09am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,131
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from thornemariner
Good luck to Wrexham. Their support held up very well after relegation in 2008. They've had even more traumatic times than us what with attempts made to take the ground away from the club.

They had similar sized support to us when we got promoted to the second flight in 1980. They'd been up there for a few years at that time.

I'd back Wrexham all the time against the likes of Bromley, a truly toxic club in my experience.

I've actually been impressed that they were getting 4000+ after a decade in the fifth tier, a length of sentence that we thankfully never endured. We were barely pulling 2000 at the end of our first season and plenty of our crowds struggled to get much above 3000 subsequently.

If any fans in the National League deserve a promotion for sticking by their club and successfully fighting off predators it is Wrexham's. Okay, we may find the media circus around them tiresome but I doubt we would have complained if we had been the beneficiaries prior to our own takeover.

Completely agree with this and good luck Wrexham. Looking at points so far this season it would be a sickener if Notts did not go up as well. Two automatic promotion places are essential and so we do not have this farcical situation where teams drop out of the league and it is extremely difficult to get back. Even though we are back in the league I would wholeheartedly support this, as having one rotten season should not condemn you too many seasons in the National League when you have achieved over 90 points, it is ridiculous. Utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 20
Badger57
January 11, 2023, 9:40am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,914
Gold Stars: 30
Yes, the current system is grossly unfair but it would be a much less exciting league if just the top two went up. The only solution to that would to make a 3rd promotion spot for the playoffs but league clubs aren't going to agree to such a notion I wouldn't have thought. A choice between excitement or fairness then? 🤔
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 20
lew chaterleys lover
January 11, 2023, 11:46am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Badger57
Yes, the current system is grossly unfair but it would be a much less exciting league if just the top two went up. The only solution to that would to make a 3rd promotion spot for the playoffs but league clubs aren't going to agree to such a notion I wouldn't have thought. A choice between excitement or fairness then? 🤔

I think if the National league and the EFL could come together and we just had a league 3, the stigma would be removed and we could have a more realistic promotion and relegation system.

The National league is league 3 in all but name now that so many league clubs have been relegated into it with more to follow this season.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 20
Maringer
January 11, 2023, 12:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,646
Gold Stars: 189
If I was going to be pedantic, I'd note that every club relegated into the National League is a Football League club...  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 20
ginnywings
January 11, 2023, 1:46pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Was there some recent talk of upping the promotion slots to 3 in the NL?

Seemed like it was being looked at favourably now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 20
DB
January 11, 2023, 3:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from ginnywings
Was there some recent talk of upping the promotion slots to 3 in the NL?

Seemed like it was being looked at favourably now.

I seem to recall some talk about it for next season, or it could have been the season after that. As the EFL clubs have to vote on it somebody posted something like 'Turkeys don't vote for Christmas'. Whether it has gone through or not I'm not 100% certain.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 20
lukeo
January 12, 2023, 7:27am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,395
Gold Stars: 149
Genuine question ... are all national league clubs run as Full time clubs? If so then it should be known as a football league table (league 3 for example). 10 - 15 years ago it was roughly split 50/50 with full time and part time clubs so I understand why it wasn't considered then to be changed
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 20
Les Brechin
January 12, 2023, 9:07am

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,717
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from lukeo
Genuine question ... are all national league clubs run as Full time clubs? If so then it should be known as a football league table (league 3 for example). 10 - 15 years ago it was roughly split 50/50 with full time and part time clubs so I understand why it wasn't considered then to be changed

Dorking, Maidenhead and Wealdstone are the only 3 teams in this years National League that are not fully professional.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 20
pizzzza
January 12, 2023, 9:20am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from lukeo
Genuine question ... are all national league clubs run as Full time clubs? If so then it should be known as a football league table (league 3 for example).

It is not merely a name though is it? It is a separate league run by a different authority (although within the same pyramid). In the same way that the EFL is different to the PL, the NL is different to the EFL. Why would the National League want to call their top division "League 3"?
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 20
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Wrexham v Bromley  (BT Sport 1)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.