Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Getting WIFI in a caravan?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 33 Guests

Getting WIFI in a caravan?

This thread currently has 572 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
January 6, 2023, 9:47pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,087
Gold Stars: 200

We're off on holiday this year with Haven Holidays at Reighton Sands yet again with the dogs, love it but there's no WIFI in the caravans, only in the main entertainment area.

Is there any way of getting WIFI in the caravan for my Chromebook?

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Maringer
January 6, 2023, 11:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,659
Gold Stars: 189
Firstly, bear in mind that this will probably cost you 50 quid or so for a month.

Easiest way to do things is buy a second hand 4G MIFI (basically, a portable router with WiFi and a battery) plus a data SIM card. You can get second hand unlocked ones on ebay for 30 quid or thereabouts.

Looking on the Signalchecker website, it seems the three network is probably the best option to use. You can get a 1 month unlimited data SIM on Smarty which uses the three network and this should be able to provide a 4G signal indoors at Reighton Sands.

You set up the MIFI using the SIM then connect your Chromebook to the WIFI network set up on the MIFI.

Can't guarantee this will work because it's dependent on the network signal in your particular area of the caravan park, but it's what I'd do (if I didn't have a 4G router hanging around).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 8
lukeo
January 7, 2023, 8:58am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,398
Gold Stars: 149
How good is your phone? You can connect your chromebook to your phone's wifi potentially, how does a Haven caravan park not have wifi? bizarre
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 8
ska face
January 7, 2023, 9:44am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,763
Gold Stars: 851
Haven sites don’t want people sat on their phones/iPads in their caravans eating food they’ve bought from the nearest Tesco. They want people in the clubs and restaurants, which is why phone coverage is invariably shïte across parks.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 8
lukeo
January 7, 2023, 10:43am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,398
Gold Stars: 149
Silly me. I was going to a haven site in the cotswolds and had fantastic WiFi in the caravan (good enough for gaming) forgot it was a private own I was renting  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 8
Rick12
January 7, 2023, 11:13am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from ska face
Haven sites don’t want people sat on their phones/iPads in their caravans eating food they’ve bought from the nearest Tesco. They want people in the clubs and restaurants, which is why phone coverage is invariably shïte across parks.
Very good point. Reminds me somewhat of people I've known who have a disability. Some employers won't touch them as they won't adapt to their disability even by 10%. Hence if your not economically viable your not wanted. Profit sadly often rules.  

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 8
jamesgtfc
January 7, 2023, 12:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,040
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from promotion plaice

We're off on holiday this year with Haven Holidays at Reighton Sands yet again with the dogs, love it but there's no WIFI in the caravans, only in the main entertainment area.

Is there any way of getting WIFI in the caravan for my Chromebook?

What's 4G or 5G coverage like on the site? If you've got a 4G/5G phone with a decent amount of data, you can use that as a hotspot.

Like Ska said though, they don't want you sat in your caravan so it wouldn't surprise me if mobile phone signal is patchy!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 8
promotion plaice
January 7, 2023, 1:02pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,087
Gold Stars: 200
Quoted from jamesgtfc

What's 4G or 5G coverage like on the site? If you've got a 4G/5G phone with a decent amount of data, you can use that as a hotspot.

Like Ska said though, they don't want you sat in your caravan so it wouldn't surprise me if mobile phone signal is patchy!

Thanks but I've only got a cheap phone, £10 a month from Tesco.

Tried the hotspot thing before Covid closed the sites and it wiped my data out in less than 24 hours.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 8
ginnywings
January 7, 2023, 1:32pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
We go to remote parts of Scotland and can be cut off from the world for days sometimes, so we bought a mifi router from the 3 network, which then requires you to buy some data for the sim card.

In some spots the signal can be very weak or non existent, so we also bought a magnetic aerial which we stick on top of the van. It's called a Poynting Puck and it helps us pick up weak signals, though it's not always needed depending on where we are.

Can't remember how much it cost to set up, but we wanted that security of being able to contact the outside world should we get into bother.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 8
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Getting WIFI in a caravan?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.