5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
aldi_01
January 4, 2023, 8:21am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Not entirely sure a bloke with a fair amount of quid in his pocket is gonna go back in to a profession on its bottom with people leaving in their droves.

They’ll sit tight and as someone said, probably end up somewhere like FGR…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 45
Rick12
January 4, 2023, 8:36am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from aldi_01
Not entirely sure a bloke with a fair amount of quid in his pocket is gonna go back in to a profession on its bottom with people leaving in their droves.

They’ll sit tight and as someone said, probably end up somewhere like FGR…
Only thing with football is the pressure and unpredictability and frequent sackings of managers , and sometimes people have enough . With teaching (and not just PE but across the board) I accept it can be very stressful and  too much for some as you have rightly pointed out.  Teachers do leave and challenges are greater  in some schools more than others which really test you emotionally but the rewards are immense especially when you make a positive difference in the lives of others.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 45
Davec
January 4, 2023, 9:28am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
I can't see the Cowley's going back to teaching any time soon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 45
Mariner_09
January 4, 2023, 9:41am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from pen penfras

I'm not so sure. It's been a long time since they were at that level and all their scouting knowledge is going to be from higher up the league. I guess Wrexham probably have enough that getting the best out of what they have should be enough, but lower league knowledge is soon lost on the way up.

Think that's right, you saw that with Hursty last season. We barely signed a player from a non-league side, they were all league players who were dropping out of the league for one reason or another.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 45
DaleH
January 4, 2023, 10:25am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +816
Gold Stars: 168
Any notion that they made a mistake leaving the teaching profession, is a daft notion.

The Cowley's will get another job in very little time at all. In the meantime, since Lincoln, they have held two highly paid jobs with good contract obligations that will have paid out nicely.

They are now on the football management merry-go-round, have built up some stock which isn't damaged too much, and as far as employment is concerned they will get jobs in football management.

The one that always makes me wonder though is this. At what point does Nicky Cowley fancy getting a managers job, or will they always work together?

Time to resurrect my Fishy signature again. So here goes.

"BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 45
diehardmariner
January 4, 2023, 10:30am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from jamesgtfc

And they are probably set for life after taking the Huddersfield job. The problem in football though is that you soon fall behind if you don't change. They found a method and way of working that worked but the analysis is so in depth these days, you have to continually evolve because teams will know how to cancel you out quite quickly.

I think that sums them up quite well.

At Braintree they brought a degree of professionalism and organisation that was missing and a valuable team asset in the Conference.  They had the Indian sign over us for 90% of the time we played them that season, it was only moments of madness from their 'keeper and defender that meant we got over the line in that second-leg of the semi-final.

When they went to Lincoln their methods and approach was leagues ahead of anyone else at that level at the time. They linked in with the Sports Science department at Lincoln Uni and went for that physical and athletic approach.  It worked, big time.  That carried on into League Two but crucially it all came at the same time of significant investment in the club.  They weren't just polishing turds by putting Heart Rate monitors on them.  They were able to bring in good players, on good money.  

Once they went to a higher level, that edge they had a lower level wasn't there.  Everyone uses sports science to great effect and it's not quite enough to have a really fit and organised side.  There's something about getting found out eventually and I think it's happened to them now.  At League Two level they'll probably still be quite effective if the conditions are there.  

I think it's a great shout on them rocking up at Wrexham if they don't go up this year too.  No chance in hell either of the brothers will be going to a food bank so they can sit and wait for the right job to come along.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 45
Rick12
January 4, 2023, 10:40am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from DaleH
Any notion that they made a mistake leaving the teaching profession, is a daft notion.

The Cowley's will get another job in very little time at all. In the meantime, since Lincoln, they have held two highly paid jobs with good contract obligations that will have paid out nicely.
At least Danny has his teaching qualifications to fall back on if football doesn't work out or he's had enough. Sometimes people go into football with no back up plan and when everything falls apart they are struggling especially more so when they have a family to provide for. I note James McKeown  said recently when he got released from Grimsby he really struggled financially and had to loose his mobile contract for one and wished he done more at school . Likewise I know of cases where a young footballer in the past played semi professional  attracted the interests of league clubs but turned down their approaches due to being secure in a job and playing football on the side part time picking up a bit of money and couldn't be bothered with the stresses and unpredictability of  going professional  full time. This is especially more poignant given the low percentage who actually make it in the game from premiership down to national league level.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 45
Maringer
January 4, 2023, 11:13am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,646
Gold Stars: 189
The Cowleys will have each earned probably 10 times as much as a teacher most of the past few years and stand to earn multiples of a teachers pay for many years yet to come, providing they don't follow the Slade route downwards.

Unless he really loved the job, you'll not see him working in a classroom again (yes, P.E. teachers also work in classrooms). Not unless he's there to give a talk. If you're going to do a difficult and stressful job, most people will opt for the one which leaves them quids in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 45
ginnywings
January 4, 2023, 11:47am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
My niece is a head teacher and earns a good living, but it'll be nowhere near what the Cowley brothers have been on and she probably works more hours than they do.

I doubt they will be going back into teaching anytime soon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 45
Rick12
January 4, 2023, 11:58am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
The Cowleys will have each earned probably 10 times as much as a teacher most of the past few years and stand to earn multiples of a teachers pay for many years yet to come, providing they don't follow the Slade route downwards.

Unless he really loved the job, you'll not see him working in a classroom again (yes, P.E. teachers also work in classrooms). Not unless he's there to give a talk. If you're going to do a difficult and stressful job, most people will opt for the one which leaves them quids in.
Good points Maringer but for every Cowley success story I reckon there are more story's of heartbreak and sorry not just in management but also the playing side as well. Ive seen it first hand from people I know who use to play the game . Again it's great when your playing and winning but not so much when your not and that's where depression can set in.Think it boils down to unless your a bit special or have something to you that sets you apart eg pace or presence up front  football is a hard slog especially in lower league as there isnt a great deal to choose between a lot of players.

Quoted from ginnywings
My niece is a head teacher .
Good on her 👍.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 45
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Portsmouth part company with the Cowley's

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.