3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
NorthseaMariner
January 2, 2023, 10:04am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,523
Gold Stars: 11
What on earth has happened to the pitch? In the 50 years I’ve been going, until the last couple of years it always drained well and always in reasonable condition.

But yesterday it was in a poor state and it’s only early January. Admittedly the weather hasn’t been great, but not exceptionally bad either.

I think we’ve spent money on improving the drainage, but it’s still a mess.

Don’t know what can be done about it, but looks like something is urgently needed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
aldi_01
January 2, 2023, 10:06am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from NorthseaMariner
What on earth has happened to the pitch? In the 50 years I’ve been going, until the last couple of years it always drained well and always in reasonable condition.

But yesterday it was in a poor state and it’s only early January. Admittedly the weather hasn’t been great, but not exceptionally bad either.

Don’t know what can be done about it, but looks like something is urgently needed.

It’s nigh on 100 years old (I’m well aware it’s been replaced) and I’d imagine the knock on effect of furloughing thr groundsman which meant the pitch went to rack and ruin for a year hasn’t helped…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 29
HertsGTFC
January 2, 2023, 10:10am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from NorthseaMariner

Check out some of the historic footage on You Tube etc.. yes it clearly has not stood up well in the last few weeks but I don’t think it’s always been brilliant up until now.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 29
Yossarian
January 2, 2023, 10:16am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,093
Gold Stars: 18
The Town v Man City game from the mid 80s was a mud-fest of epic proportions.    Happy days!

But yes, I saw the highlights of yesterday's match and thought it looked a bit rough and stodgy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 29
NorthseaMariner
January 2, 2023, 10:19am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,523
Gold Stars: 11
Yes, maybe my memory is a tad clouded, probably due to the fact all pitches were much heavier than they are nowadays.

But it doesn’t change the fact something needs to be done.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 29
LH
January 2, 2023, 10:24am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,566
Gold Stars: 174
They’ve been training on it a bit lately cause Cheapside was waterlogged.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 29
ginnywings
January 2, 2023, 10:25am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
We have had a lot of rain. Currently in York and the river is up and covering the footpaths, on the verge of widespread flooding if we get any more.

Weather patterns are changing and causing havoc. The pitch was frozen not so long back.

There was a lot of work done on the pitch in the summer. All the grass was scraped off and re-seeded, so they are trying their best to keep it in good nick, but nature wins mostly.

It probably wants taking up and relaying with more modern systems and grasses, but that is a big expense.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 29
denni266
January 2, 2023, 10:26am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +702
Gold Stars: 132
Seen it in a lot worse states in the past . Going back to when there was a game there every week when we had a reserve team . We have had quite a lot of rain this last few weeks and the sun is low and grass does not grow in the winter so it is expected to get damaged to some degree.. And if someone wants to put a team together that in their words plays football you are on a looser when the winter sets in as all pitches will suffer
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 29
lew chaterleys lover
January 2, 2023, 10:47am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
I saw someone on the Stockport forum saying the match should never have started it was that bad.

Surely that is hyperbole - it was perfectly playable considering the time of year.

Knowing the intricacies of your own pitch is one of many advantages of being at home so let Stockport moan all they like.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 29
DB
January 2, 2023, 10:51am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
I saw someone on the Stockport forum saying the match should never have started it was that bad.

Surely that is hyperbole - it was perfectly playable considering the time of year.

Knowing the intricacies of your own pitch is one of many advantages of being at home so let Stockport moan all they like.

It's a case of sour grapes, it was the same for both teams, and as mentioned, the Stockport pre-match churned it up a bit more.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 29
grimps
January 2, 2023, 10:55am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,136
Gold Stars: 46
Has the slope been removed ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 29
HertsGTFC
January 2, 2023, 11:07am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from grimps
Has the slope been removed ?

Ages ago, I think Jolley had it taken out.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 29
jamesgtfc
January 2, 2023, 11:50am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Ages ago, I think Jolley had it taken out.

Teams were complaining about it so we had to remove it I think but it was under Jolley.

I was talking to one of the groundsmen last season and he said that the work the pitch really needs will cost £500k.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 29
aldi_01
January 2, 2023, 12:35pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Teams were complaining about it so we had to remove it I think but it was under Jolley.

I was talking to one of the groundsmen last season and he said that the work the pitch really needs will cost £500k.

In the modern game, pitches seem to be an area of constant work and development. Understandable really but again, with only a finite amount of cash available, those obsessed with us making plenty of signings would do well to remember that other areas need investment too.

BP has always been decent but the myth that it’s always been a bowling green is an odd one. I remember back in about 2002/3 i officiated a behind closed doors game, early season and the pitch wasn’t too great then…

I’m sure investment in the pitch will be made but weather and so on has clearly taken it’s toll…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 29
LocalLadGTFC
January 2, 2023, 12:38pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,311
Gold Stars: 137
If only there was an update from the groundsman recently… 🤣
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 14 - 29
TAGG
January 2, 2023, 12:41pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,939
Gold Stars: 126

Bit of a parallel with the Stockport team really.
Pay excrement loads of money to relay the pitch so it can be one of the best in the league.
Spend excrement loads of money on players and their wages so they can be one of the best in the league.
Not worked out that way for either of us.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 29
aldi_01
January 2, 2023, 12:44pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Furloughing the groundsman was definitely a great idea though…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 29
Limerick Mariner
January 2, 2023, 12:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,720
FFS, we are a few yards from the sea, the water table is high anyway and it's been tipping down for days on end. We have fewer games frozen off than others. Why the feck didn't Mansfield spend a £100k on warm air blowers to get the Field Mill game on...? Stockport can feck off with that bollox.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 29
ska face
January 2, 2023, 1:01pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,753
Gold Stars: 851
The Stockport fans can suck a fart out me árse - it wasn’t long back they used to have 30 fat slobbering rugby union players rolling about on their pitch every fortnight. Never seen anything like the state of their pitch back then, was like the Somme!
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 29
HerveJosse
January 2, 2023, 2:45pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.88
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,217
Gold Stars: 144
It’s League 2 . When BP is graced by players who never miscontrol the ball or misplace a pass then a perfect pitch may be needed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 29
Maringer
January 2, 2023, 5:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,642
Gold Stars: 189
The pitch didn't seem to affect their ability to whack the ball into our box over and over again, which seemed to make up the bulk of their play. If they were some kind of a slick passing team, it might have been an issue but they didn't look like that on yesterday's performance.

Very noticeable that we whacked it upfield a lot more than usual as well, despite the lack of height up front. A tactic to push them deeper so they couldn't play a bit further up the field? Whatever the case, it seemed to work OK for us. Just a pity that our final cross or pass wasn't good enough on the occasions we played through them.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 29
Croxton
January 2, 2023, 5:47pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,020
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Maringer
The pitch didn't seem to affect their ability to whack the ball into our box over and over again, which seemed to make up the bulk of their play. If they were some kind of a slick passing team, it might have been an issue but they didn't look like that on yesterday's performance.

Very noticeable that we whacked it upfield a lot more than usual as well, despite the lack of height up front. A tactic to push them deeper so they couldn't play a bit further up the field? Whatever the case, it seemed to work OK for us. Just a pity that our final cross or pass wasn't good enough on the occasions we played through them.

The conditions were too risky for playing out from short goal kicks. Shoving Efete higher up to receive goal kicks is better than either McAtee or Kiernan battling with huge centre halves. Loved it when he flattened a couple of Stockport defenders. He was penalised of course but when they did it to Harry it was Harry who got the card!

The same tactic moves us up the pitch to win throws now that we know about Maher's capabilities.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 29
Maringer
January 3, 2023, 8:01am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,642
Gold Stars: 189
I did find it amusing that Waterfall congratulated Efete on that particular challenge, giving him a high five! Just a clumsy collision, but as a defender, it's always good to give an opponent or two a good clout, even if inadvertently!

I actually thought that Clifton's probably was a booking - he lost track of where the ball was and clumsily jumped into their player in the challenge because of it.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 29
Croxton
January 3, 2023, 9:31am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,020
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Maringer
I did find it amusing that Waterfall congratulated Efete on that particular challenge, giving him a high five! Just a clumsy collision, but as a defender, it's always good to give an opponent or two a good clout, even if inadvertently!

I actually thought that Clifton's probably was a booking - he lost track of where the ball was and clumsily jumped into their player in the challenge because of it.

Yes, the high five was part of an ongoing narrative of support for Efete from the bench via 'Greeny' and the Lower Findus. Efete didn't lack for advice and I daresay he was similarly encouraged from the Main Stand in the second half.

Our midfielders were so keen to challenge for first and second balls at times that they were knocking each other out the way. Perhaps not the conditions or tactics that Hunt could have easily adjusted to.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 29
Mariner_09
January 3, 2023, 10:14am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from jamesgtfc

This is almost a snapshot of the problem. After 20 years of penny pinching, we are so far behind in terms of infrastructure, training facilities and things like the pitch that it will take more than 1.5 seasons to get us level, let alone 'best in class' with most sides in L2. I bet we're in the bottom 20% of L2 for non-playing facilities such as the pitch and so on.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 29
gobby
January 3, 2023, 10:19am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +776
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from Mariner_09

This is almost a snapshot of the problem. After 20 years of penny pinching, we are so far behind in terms of infrastructure, training facilities and things like the pitch that it will take more than 1.5 seasons to get us level, let alone 'best in class' with most sides in L2. I bet we're in the bottom 20% of L2 for non-playing facilities such as the pitch and so on.

The Icenian Predicition League  CHAMPION 2016/17
Beat The Clock Champion 2020/21 🏆 👏

My old man said follow the Town
And dont dilly dally on the way
We'll take Scunny in half a minute
We'll take Lincoln and all thats in it!

One Step Beyond.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 29
WOZOFGRIMSBY
January 3, 2023, 11:19am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,907
Gold Stars: 179
Quoted from ska face
The Stockport fans can suck a fart out me árse - it wasn’t long back they used to have 30 fat slobbering rugby union players rolling about on their pitch every fortnight. Never seen anything like the state of their pitch back then, was like the Somme!

We don’t all slobber!

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 29
Limerick Mariner
January 3, 2023, 3:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,720
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

We don’t all slobber!

Forwards slobber - so that's 16 slobbering in the mud. Meanwhile, the backs stand around checking their hair and make-up in their vanity mirrors…
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 29
arryarryarry
January 3, 2023, 10:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,037
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Mariner_09

I thought it wasn't that long ago our groundsman won an award for how good the pitch was, unless I dreamt that.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 29
moosey_club
January 3, 2023, 11:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,294
Gold Stars: 226
Didn't Stockport have a full pitch upgrade by Man City or Man Utd not so long ago so their ladies or u23 could  play there ?

Also when we had the "priveledge" to play on their World class bowling green we scored 3 so they should be thankful our pitch stopped us scoring more 😁

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 29
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Blundell Park pitch

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.