This thread currently has 4,230 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
December 15, 2022, 11:08am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,086
Gold Stars: 200

Looks like Max is back in contention to play for Harrogate on Saturday, could be playing against us on Boxing Day if all goes well.

Good luck to the lad, really hope he can finally get over his injury problems.

https://www.harrogateadvertise.....aster-rovers-3954644

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
mimma
December 15, 2022, 11:17am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
Good luck and best wishes to Max. I feel for him, so unlucky with injuries, never give up and a top pro.

Doesn't it seem strange how some players are plagued by injuries whilst others never seem get them. Michael Owen for example, would have beaten Bobby Charlton's record had it not been for injuries, whilst Christiano Ronaldo has stayed clear of major injuries.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 16
GrimExile
December 15, 2022, 11:33am
Live in Bucks born and bred in Grimsby.
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,280
Gold Stars: 36
Paul Groves never seemed to get injured and if I’m right I believe he played 60+ games in the 1998 season when we went to the old Wembley twice. Yes poor old Max never seemed to play more than two or three consecutive games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 16
diehardmariner
December 15, 2022, 1:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
68 games that season for Groves, 67 for Kev Donovan,

I think there's always this argument about how players look after themselves.  Groves was as much of a freak of nature as he was a pure professional.  He looked after himself in a way that was years and years ahead of his time, he felt the benefit of it too.

But then there's just luck.  Richard Smith was someone from the Groves era who just couldn't stay fit, then you had Gally who rarely missed a game through injury yet had far from ideal preparation.  

In the modern game prevention is so important but it just can't account for bad luck and those players who aren't quite naturally robust as others.

Really hope it works out for Max.  Would love to see him back in a Town shirt.

Interesting that Simon Weaver thinks he can play as a second striker or as a number 10 as well as out wide.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 16
mimma
December 15, 2022, 6:07pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
Sometimes it's just bad luck, sometimes it's the body. Michael Owen"s pace was his biggest asset,  but also his downfall. His hamstrings couldn't take it .
I hope Max's luck changes because he deserves a break in the game and gets a decent career out of the game. His effort and skill deserves better.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 16
HertsGTFC
December 15, 2022, 7:19pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Good luck to Max.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 16
RichMariner
December 15, 2022, 10:31pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,160
Gold Stars: 211
Max had no issues playing games regularly when he was on loan at Boston and Scarborough, it's just with us that he particularly struggled.

I think even Groves said there's a certain amount of luck involved when it comes to injuries.

Very few pros could hack 68 games in a season now. I don't think Groves was subbed off in any of them, so he played every minute that season.

It's an incredible achievement. A lot of players in the 90s played with injuries, though — nothing that would stop you getting through 90 minutes, but Kev Donovan was carrying something, and I'm sure it was this that basically kept him out the side for the majority of the following season.

Back then you would just grin and bear it, and try and sort things out in the summer. Now, you get it sorted much sooner and bring in a loan. Players have a bit more protection but I wonder if that has an impact on their durability when they're so well protected as they move through the youth teams.

I'm speculating of course. My argument falls down a bit anyway because Max was playing men's football when he was young while out on loan. That, you'd have thought, would've toughened his body up. Maybe it did the opposite?

I wish him the best, though. It's a credit to him that he's still got a chance to shine in the FL.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 6 - 16
HertsGTFC
December 16, 2022, 8:57am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from RichMariner
Max had no issues playing games regularly when he was on loan at Boston and Scarborough, it's just with us that he particularly struggled.

I think even Groves said there's a certain amount of luck involved when it comes to injuries.

Very few pros could hack 68 games in a season now. I don't think Groves was subbed off in any of them, so he played every minute that season.

It's an incredible achievement. A lot of players in the 90s played with injuries, though — nothing that would stop you getting through 90 minutes, but Kev Donovan was carrying something, and I'm sure it was this that basically kept him out the side for the majority of the following season.

Back then you would just grin and bear it, and try and sort things out in the summer. Now, you get it sorted much sooner and bring in a loan. Players have a bit more protection but I wonder if that has an impact on their durability when they're so well protected as they move through the youth teams.

I'm speculating of course. My argument falls down a bit anyway because Max was playing men's football when he was young while out on loan. That, you'd have thought, would've toughened his body up. Maybe it did the opposite?

I wish him the best, though. It's a credit to him that he's still got a chance to shine in the FL.

I think we're in a much better place now in terms of science and protecting players careers. Back in the day for every Grovsie there was always at least one lad who had to retire early do to injury.

We used to often hear at around 1pm on Grandstand that after a pain killing injection XXXX would be starting today for their club, quite rightly would would never get that now, or at the very least it would not be made public.

Joe Waters was another player who very rarely got injured and considering the position he and Grovsie played that it just a testimony to their quality and overall fitness.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 16
jamesgtfc
December 16, 2022, 9:39am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I think we're in a much better place now in terms of science and protecting players careers. Back in the day for every Grovsie there was always at least one lad who had to retire early do to injury.

We used to often hear at around 1pm on Grandstand that after a pain killing injection XXXX would be starting today for their club, quite rightly would would never get that now, or at the very least it would not be made public.

Joe Waters was another player who very rarely got injured and considering the position he and Grovsie played that it just a testimony to their quality and overall fitness.  

The injections and pill popping still happens, it's just not as open.

Players have said that Groves used to be the only one who had a drink of water at training. Obviously he was gifted with natural fitness but I wonder where he would be in todays game because his methods are now common practice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 16
grimsby pete
December 16, 2022, 1:23pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,827
Gold Stars: 222
I hope Max has a long free from injury spell with Harrogate and makes a success of his time there.

BUT

Hope he misses our game with a little niggle as he is bound to score against us.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 16
Kris2
December 16, 2022, 3:51pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from mimma
Sometimes it's just bad luck, sometimes it's the body. Michael Owen"s pace was his biggest asset,  but also his downfall. His hamstrings couldn't take it .
I hope Max's luck changes because he deserves a break in the game and gets a decent career out of the game. His effort and skill deserves better.

Similar situation with Max who has a lot of explosive pace and seems to have cause issues with his legs. Michael Reddy was another with incredible pace that retired early due to groin and hip issues. Pace can be a blessing and a curse if it causes the body to break down. We got the last good season out of Reddy before his body broke down, perhaps Max can still have a good season in him yet if managed well.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 16
Swansea_Mariner
December 16, 2022, 3:56pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,468
Gold Stars: 63
Wasn't Mendonca one of those having injections to get through games, crazy how the game has changed.

Best of luck to Max, always loved to see him play.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 16
fishboyUTM
December 17, 2022, 6:10am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,071
Gold Stars: 40
Best of luck to Max. But history suggests his next long term injury is only around the corner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 16
aldi_01
December 17, 2022, 7:17am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Always liked Max and he did change games and have a positive impact but even if he plays today, I’m not sure we’ll see him next week…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 16
dapperz fun pub
December 17, 2022, 9:00am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,021
Gold Stars: 83
his body can’t cope with professional football if it could we would have kept him because his footballing ability and professionalism was never in doubt. Perhaps Harrogate can do something we couldn’t and get a run of games out of him but I doubt it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 16
IlkleyMariner
December 17, 2022, 7:08pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,038
Gold Stars: 69
Hope Max makes the grade with Harrogate, after we’ve played them.

Rumour has it that lots of naughty mariners are trying to get into the home stands for Boxing Day. If anyone is trying that approach suggest u don’t wear colours
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 16
dapperz fun pub
December 17, 2022, 7:25pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,021
Gold Stars: 83
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
Hope Max makes the grade with Harrogate, after we’ve played them.

Rumour has it that lots of naughty mariners are trying to get into the home stands for Boxing Day. If anyone is trying that approach suggest u don’t wear colours

Makes the grade ?? I think we’ve all seen he’s capable at playing at this level and secondly I’d remove that comment let’s not bring awareness to this
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 16
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Max Wright

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.