4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
December 11, 2022, 8:02am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,698
Gold Stars: 72
I also thought orsi looked really strong powering through for what ended up as a penalty shout, would be good to see him and mcatee play together but probably wont see it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 32
sam gy
December 11, 2022, 10:49am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 56
It’s hard isn’t it, feel like a midfield of Green, Holohan and Clifton is a good balance. Who do you drop to make way for the extra forward? Or which wide man makes way for Clifton? Would love to see McAtee deeper but it’s a tough decision.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 32
lew chaterleys lover
December 11, 2022, 11:36am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,746
Gold Stars: 237
I was delighted with that performance - much more on the front foot and exciting to watch. Be great if we can keep players fit and keep a settled side.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 32
MuddyWaters
December 11, 2022, 11:42am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
I was delighted with that performance - much more on the front foot and exciting to watch. Be great if we can keep players fit and keep a settled side.

Mostly concur with that but the only negative for me was Holohan. I know he covers a lot of ground but, to me, we just need a bit more craft in midfield.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 32
Davec
December 11, 2022, 11:53am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
I thought that was a much better performance yesterday and was pleased with the start we made and after a few games this season where we have started well and still lost it was important to ensure we didn't go down that road again so in glad we didn't, Kiernan did well for his header, by heading it into the ground it makes it harder for any keeper to save as they can't really committ until the trajectory of the bounce is known in which by that time it is mostly too late! The only disappointment at half time was that we didn't add to the goal and we did seem to sit off them a bit as the half went on.

Going into the 2nd half it was very pleasing to get a 2nd so when we did early on I was hoping we could get even more, the Crocombe mistake had the potential to de-rail us but after that we managed the game well and Tranmere overall looked very blunt, I think all the back 4 played well especially Maher and Efete, Green won a lot of headers in the first half especially and did well in 2nd half, Clifton was his usual self and did extremely well with his last ditch tackle, it was imperative he timed that to perfection and he did and to win the goal kick aswell was very pleasing, Kiernan looked busy and did some good stuff and at one stage his link up play with Mcatee for his effort where the keeper saved was sublime.

Good to get the win and ease some "looking over our shoulder" fears some were starting to get.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 32
TAGG
December 11, 2022, 12:28pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,939
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from Son of Cod
Surprised not many people have been praising McAtee's performance as much. Some of his play was on another level. His Reesesque back heel into Efete's path into the box, that lob he very nearly got spot on in the first half and of course his superb assist. Maher and Efete rightly drawing the plaudits at the back and I very much enjoyed Waterfall's thou-shalt-not-pass triple headers back into Tranmere territory right at the death. Huge credit to the front three for me though, haven't seen all three forwards looking as dangerous as that for what feels like a long time. Khan and McAtee want the ball all the time and were constantly making things happen yesterday. McAtee ran the show for me though, he looks like he could be a cut above at this level, just a shame he couldn't cap his performance with a goal...no thanks to the lino for flagging him offside when he was on and in on goal one on one with their keeper.

Solid and entertaining performance and if not for a freak error it could well have been comfortable until the final whistle.

Must agree.
I thought McAtee ran the line brilliantly well and caused there CBs all sorts of problems.
I have been a critic of Efete and Kiernan but they were fantastic yesterday, I hope they kick on because they maybe the difference between having a mediocre season and a great season.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 32
lukeo
December 11, 2022, 12:31pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,396
Gold Stars: 149
Quoted from sam gy
It’s hard isn’t it, feel like a midfield of Green, Holohan and Clifton is a good balance. Who do you drop to make way for the extra forward? Or which wide man makes way for Clifton? Would love to see McAtee deeper but it’s a tough decision.

I prefer the 11 we had yesterday and hope PH doesn't tinker too much. But I agree with you regards McAtee..  I'd like to see clifton, mcatee and Kiernan rotate through the game. Ie start as we did yesterday but then move it around if or when necessary and put mcatee behind kiernan with clifton left. All 3 can play either position I've mentioned
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 32
jamesgtfc
December 11, 2022, 1:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Third game of the season for me and the worst performance of the lot given my other 2 games were Crewe and Plymouth in the cups. Tranmere looked terrible and they couldn't defend inswinging crosses to save their lives.

McAtee looked very sharp. Not only did he lead the line well, he put in some good defensive interceptions in our half. In all 3 games I've seen, Kiernan has played very well. Listening to what Efete said after the game attributing his personal form to Kiernan makes extending his stay beyond January a must for me.

Green in the middle was an enforcer and I feared the worst when Clifton kept backing off but that last ditch tackle was great to see. The less said about their goal the better, it made a comfortable win nervy. Khan had some great touches and impressed me yesterday too.

Special mention to Holohan though for taking the note off a Tranmere player and reading it.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 32
Mariner_09
December 11, 2022, 8:33pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
I’ve been looking today, and I always thought the reactions to some recent defeats were a tad hysterical. We were never going to go down, we’re 7 points off 4th! They are so many other teams in this League who are very similar to us and have similar issues scoring goals. A really good January where we sign 2-3 players who improve our side, obviously including a striker and we’ll catapult up the League. We did last season. Amos and Smith in Jan, Gav came in mid February. Even Raikhy looked really good before his injury. If we could do that again, or equivalent with L2 players we’d probably be an outside bet for playoffs. Obviously, it’s harder at this level as our budget is more comparable to everyone else’s, and we’re still relatively quite unfashionable but if anyone can it’s Hursty.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 32
TownSNAFU5
December 12, 2022, 11:13am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,894
Gold Stars: 42
A Sunday paper reported that Tranmere sub Jake Burton scored for Tranmere.  That is stretching a lot as he knew nothing about it!

Macca conceded a goal in the same way.  I think about 12 years ago and against Sheffield Wed.  In a friendly.  Right in front of the Pontoon.  Their player was much closer.  Anyone remember this?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 32
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.