7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
lew chaterleys lover
November 16, 2022, 9:11am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,746
Gold Stars: 237
Just a couple of things to add to my post above.

The first is that the grinding poverty of the time was directly due to the lack of a welfare state until after the war, so working families up and down the land went into poverty if work dried up. No work = no money.

The formation of the welfare state started to get to grips with the widespread poverty but obviously took some years for everyone to benefit.

That together with the slum clearance scheme and the building of council housing meant we were able to move to  a top floor council flat at Bexley Court in Bath Street fronting on to Cleethorpe Road with hot water, a kitchen and bathroom. Bliss!

There is no doubt poverty today, but nothing like the widespread scourge that previous generations endured thanks to the Labour government of the time who instigated the welfare state and slum clearance programme.

Private Message
Reply: 50 - 66
Maringer
November 16, 2022, 9:52am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,645
Gold Stars: 189
Back then, we had a government and, indeed, governments (including many Tory ones who continued with the welfare state reforms implemented by Labour for decades) who were interested in dealing with poverty and inequality. Those in charge over the last decade, however? They quite literally don't give a toss. Change definitions of poverty, cuts to benefits of the poorest including the sick and disabled, etc etc.

Here's the latest from the ONS:

https://twitter.com/ONS/status/1592775994624348160/photo/1

The poorest are being hit hardest by inflation, yet Hunt is going to tell us tomorrow that everyone is going to have to pay more tax to fill an arbitrary 'black hole' (which doesn't really exist) in the finances because the previous Tory government crapped the bed. We're in recession and their policy decisions are going to make sure it is deeper, longer and more punishing. The wealthy politicians and bankers making these choices won't be affected in the slightest. One less holiday to the Caribbean each year paid by a donor for the politicians, perhaps? Governor of the Bank of England, Andrew Bailey (who is absolutely flipping incompetent), wasn't even sure how much he earned when asked earlier this year. Over half a million plus near on 100K into a pension pot each year. MPC members (who decide interest rates) earn more than £150K per year - for a part-time role in addition to whatever they are paid in their regular day jobs. Jeremy Hunt is on £150K a year (and is worth millions). Those on the breadline, however...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 66
pizzzza
November 16, 2022, 9:57am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
Yeah, but what about the phone torches?
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 66
Maringer
November 16, 2022, 10:08am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,645
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from pizzzza
Yeah, but what about the phone torches?

Bit daft, I think.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 66
Rick12
November 16, 2022, 10:34am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45

The first is that the grinding poverty of the time was directly due to the lack of a welfare state until after the war, so working families up and down the land went into poverty if work dried up. No work = no money.

In other places in times gone by it was like this as well. People I've spoken to abroad had family members who started out with nothing but built up their business  through sheer hard work and ambition * huge respect* and the person in question was adopted as a young child due to his dad dying and his mother not being able to look after her 5 children . He was adopted by monks as a child and made to work hard  .Discipline and experiences often painful builds character.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 66
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
November 16, 2022, 11:33am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.85
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,831
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from Rick12
He was adopted by monks as a child and made to work hard  .Discipline and experiences often painful builds character.

That’s terrible. Hope they didn’t suffer in silence?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 66
Rick12
November 16, 2022, 1:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45

That’s terrible. Hope they didn’t suffer in silence?
On the whole I think the experiences with the monks shaped him for the better.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 66
Mayaman
November 16, 2022, 1:58pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,421
Gold Stars: 74
As Rick12 pointed out, life was on the whole tougher back in the day.  However, I think we rode the storm better because we stuck together.   My dad was a fish dock lumper with three kids. We weren't really in poverty but we weren't well off.  The thing was, we had a back alley and all the neighbours shared stuff.  Why shell out for an expensive tool if it's sat on a shed shelf for most of the year?  The whole neighbourhood had something to lend others.  

Our house  was bloody freezing in the winter but at least the loo was inside.  We had a gas fire in the living room and it poured out heat for about a yard. We would all huddle around it.  The thing went on the blink during the winter of discontent, so it was dangerous to put it on.  We sat in the pitch black, wrapped in a mish mash of clothes.  My nan had an outdoor privy though, and if I stayed over at night , I'd just hold it in until the morning.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 66
pen penfras
November 16, 2022, 2:10pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -131
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Mayaman
As Rick12 pointed out, life was on the whole tougher back in the day.  However, I think we rode the storm better because we stuck together.   My dad was a fish dock lumper with three kids. We weren't really in poverty but we weren't well off.  The thing was, we had a back alley and all the neighbours shared stuff.  Why shell out for an expensive tool if it's sat on a shed shelf for most of the year?  The whole neighbourhood had something to lend others.  

Our house  was bloody freezing in the winter but at least the loo was inside.  We had a gas fire in the living room and it poured out heat for about a yard. We would all huddle around it.  The thing went on the blink during the winter of discontent, so it was dangerous to put it on.  We sat in the pitch black, wrapped in a mish mash of clothes.  My nan had an outdoor privy though, and if I stayed over at night , I'd just hold it in until the morning.

And this year people are crying poverty when it was 15C outside and they couldn't afford to have the heating on for 8 hours a day. We don't know how lucky we are and it boils my urine
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 66
psgmariner
November 16, 2022, 2:17pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33

Private Message
Reply: 59 - 66
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Torches

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.