November 15, 2022, 6:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from lukeo
I'd be happy with something like
"We disagree with the u21s teams in this cup and the format. Sadly, we was outvoted therefore they will remain. We understand everyone has their own views and they're entitled to them. But whilst we have to be in this cup we may as well try earn the club and team some money."

What he said struck me as being quite aggressive and not representative of the views that most fans have or in line with the Trust statement to the EFL about the second rearrangement of the Crewe game.

At the time I was disappointed that the club didn't come out and explain their stance, however tame it was contractually allowed to be but their silence made sense having seen his comment that night.

In my opinion, something like what you said or silence would have gone down much better with most of the fan base than a tweet that ended with "As you say, each to their own."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 37
lew chaterleys lover
November 15, 2022, 6:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
Never mind the Crewe game there is no promoting the Stevenage game in 4 days time, as far as I can see on the official site or Twitter.

I think they need a bit of a prod up the proverbial down at BP.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 37
MuddyWaters
November 15, 2022, 7:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
Never mind the Crewe game there is no promoting the Stevenage game in 4 days time, as far as I can see on the official site or Twitter.

I think they need a bit of a prod up the proverbial down at BP.

They’ve got a great new marketing team……haven’t they? 🤔
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 37
lew chaterleys lover
November 15, 2022, 7:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from MuddyWaters

It all seems a bit odd. This is schoolboy stuff.

They still are only opening one of the Osmond sections so therefore denying fans a wider choice of seats.

No reminders for season ticket holders to put their seat back on the market if they can't get to the game to try to avoid so many empty seats. There is more information about the Accrington game and the games that have already been played.

I suspect one problem might be the website looks very generic, as if it can only be changed within certain parameters or time frames - is the content outsourced?

Perhaps the club behind the scenes is in a transition period but things feel a bit flat.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 37
aldi_01
November 15, 2022, 7:52pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from MuddyWaters

To be fair, there has been little marketing for games early on in the season. Doesn’t make it right but in the interest of balance…

As for the Crewe game, it’s a mystery that’s probably out of the clubs hands.

I know folk will jump up and down that the club didn’t come out and denounce the pizza cup but I’m with my old welsh mate Pen, I’m not sure he could say anything else.

I suspect that if he were to come out and give an honest/personal opinion he’d probably be accused of bringing the game in to disrepute or some nonsense by the league.

It’s easy for fans to come out and say what we think and boycott and the likes but the clubs are essentially bound by the rules and regulations of the league. The only way things are likely to change is if all the clubs or a good number clubbed together and challenged it, I still suspect money would still talk for the EFL but the odd club and a few fans won’t change their mind. As I’ve said before, several finals since this abomination began have drawn large crowds which is typical of this trophy; shite crowds up until the final…I’m sure they’d argue little has changed…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 37
MuddyWaters
November 15, 2022, 7:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from aldi_01

To be fair, there has been little marketing for games early on in the season. Doesn’t make it right but in the interest of balance…

As for the Crewe game, it’s a mystery that’s probably out of the clubs hands.

I know folk will jump up and down that the club didn’t come out and denounce the pizza cup but I’m with my old welsh mate Pen, I’m not sure he could say anything else.

I suspect that if he were to come out and give an honest/personal opinion he’d probably be accused of bringing the game in to disrepute or some nonsense by the league.

It’s easy for fans to come out and say what we think and boycott and the likes but the clubs are essentially bound by the rules and regulations of the league. The only way things are likely to change is if all the clubs or a good number clubbed together and challenged it, I still suspect money would still talk for the EFL but the odd club and a few fans won’t change their mind. As I’ve said before, several finals since this abomination began have drawn large crowds which is typical of this trophy; shite crowds up until the final…I’m sure they’d argue little has changed…

In that respect, he would have been better saying nothing at all.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 37
moosey_club
November 15, 2022, 8:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,294
Gold Stars: 226
Roll up roll up, come and see the eight wonder of the world "Kong" don't worry, he can't hurt you....look at his magnificence....don't worry he can't hurt you....he is under control....

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 37
WOZOFGRIMSBY
November 15, 2022, 9:18pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,908
Gold Stars: 180
Am still at a loss as to figure out who invited, or engineered the thought of, the under 21s playing in a senior competition. Had someone been on their jollies and decided to watch Real Oviedo ‘B’ play Sporting Gijon ‘B’ and decided this is just what the English leagues need!

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 37
aldi_01
November 16, 2022, 6:57am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
Am still at a loss as to figure out who invited, or engineered the thought of, the under 21s playing in a senior competition. Had someone been on their jollies and decided to watch Real Oviedo ‘B’ play Sporting Gijon ‘B’ and decided this is just what the English leagues need!

The EFL saw pound signs. They thought by having some premier league teams in the competition it would increase interest, it didn’t. I suspect the premier league team chances their arm and deep down may be thought the EFL would tell them to sling their hook, they didn’t. Now we’re left with this mess. Let’s face it, it’s not just premier league teams, not all have signed up, or didn’t initially which always indicates a little apprehension from them.

The competition in its former style wasn’t overly exciting and attendances until area finals etc weren’t great so you can’t fully blame the u21 inclusion for that, but, I think you can point a finger at the frustration and anger shown by some for their inclusion. Fans are staying away for a reason this time rather than just not being arsed to go.

Sadly, I see no change and this discussion will rumble on for years. Perhaps, had the finals had few attendees that would may be have had an impact but Lincoln were so desperate for a final at Wembley it was obvious they were gonna sell as many tickets as possible rather than take a stand. Same with Sunderland, pompey etc…

GTFC can’t win either way. The previous regime saw pound signs and didn’t read the room so to speak. They understandably got hammered for it. They then voted against it I believe, still got hammered. The new regime have said they disagree but recognise we don’t really have a choice, they’ve limited ticket prices. They get hammered. If they hadn’t said anything, they’d get hammered.

Sadly, Fenty and Stockwood can’t win in this. I’m all for hammering Fenty but in this instance I don’t see how either could ever have won.

The club are powerless on their own, and I can’t see anyone else jumping to get on board with a protest. Didn’t Day tell us on that fateful night that the EFL were essentially paying clubs an additional fee to cover ground costs due to the lack of attendees? Naturally, I’ve tried to forget that night but I’m sure he mentioned it was an additional payment to the winners prize etc…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 37
Maringer
November 16, 2022, 7:48am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,646
Gold Stars: 189
Shaun Harvey, innit? Wanted to be associated with the big boys so was always going to take their coin and push it to the Football League (never EFL) clubs. Most of the clubs themselves are battling for survival every season, financially speaking, so you can see why the respective owners shrugged and went along with it.

In most respects, the fans of smaller clubs across the country understand what it's all about and have kept away, even after some years of U21 entrants. No doubt the younger generation will forget and the big clubs will continue to inveigle their way into the operations of the League. Next step definitely Premier League 2. Too many large clubs outside of the PL itself are desperate to have a piece of the pie, however small. The traditional 3rd, 4th and 5th tier teams don't come into their reckoning.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 37
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Crewe game

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.