This thread currently has 7,128 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
SchueysAtTheWheel
November 4, 2022, 12:20pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +56
Gold Stars: 18
Afternoon Mariners. Just thought I'd drop by to give you some insight into your FA Cup opponents tomorrow.

It wasn't a great draw for either side for various reasons. We were desperate for a home tie but it was inevitable we would be 1) drawn away and 2) drawn away to a team bloody miles away from Plymouth (though most are, to be fair). We've only been drawn at home in one out of our last 10 draws, and that was during Covid so was played behind closed doors!

Anyway, we're obviously going well in the league this season. We have a genius manager who keeps winning us games from losing positions with his subs or formation tweaks, and a number of young loan players who have been in scintillating form (and all of them are allowed to play tomorrow).

We play with wingbacks, two deep-lying ball-winners/playmakers and two No.10s behind a lone frontman. It's basically a 2-2 midfield box with the wingbacks pushing right up to essentially make it a 3-2-4-1 formation when we're in possession. We like to pass the ball around and wait for openings.

Our line-up tomorrow is anyone's guess. Some Wednesday and Ipswich fans predict we'll drop off when we go through an injury crisis, but they don't realise that we're going through one at the moment! We've currently got five first-teamers out injured so I suspect we'll play one or two young uns tomorrow - not because we'll underestimate you, but because we just can't risk losing any more key men. We don't have the strength in depth that Ipswich, Wednesday etc possess so may play a weakened side tomorrow.

A few other observations...

-We never, ever, ever score from corners so you can relax when we get one
-We score most of our goals from the 60th minute onwards, usually as a result of our subs coming on and changing the game
-Our biggest attacking threat is Morgan Whittaker, who plays in one of the No.10 roles. If he plays tomorrow, expect to see him shoot from anywhere and often
-Our second biggest attacking threat is our left wingback Bali Mumba, who is a real livewire and will keep your defence on their toes (again, if he plays)
-We've quite often looked shaky just before and just after halftime
-If you park the bus then it will be a long afternoon for everyone. Only one team has done that to us this season and it took us bloody ages to break them down
-We probably won't bring more than about 500 fans tomorrow, which is pretty poor but we're away to Lincoln the week after so I expect people will save their dough for that one.

That's about it.

I'm looking forward to coming back to Blundell Park to try and erase the memories of our last visit when you stopped us winning the League Two Title!

Oh, and it'll be good to see Ryan Taylor again. He was decent for us for a while, though his legs appeared to be made from glass.

Good luck for the game and let's hope both sides come through it unscathed, whatever the score.
Logged Offline
Private Message
DB
November 4, 2022, 2:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
Reading that Schuey Id call you a genuine football fan. Have a safe journey to and from the game.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 25
jamesgtfc
November 4, 2022, 2:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from SchueysAtTheWheel
Afternoon Mariners. Just thought I'd drop by to give you some insight into your FA Cup opponents tomorrow.

It wasn't a great draw for either side for various reasons. We were desperate for a home tie but it was inevitable we would be 1) drawn away and 2) drawn away to a team bloody miles away from Plymouth (though most are, to be fair). We've only been drawn at home in one out of our last 10 draws, and that was during Covid so was played behind closed doors!

Anyway, we're obviously going well in the league this season. We have a genius manager who keeps winning us games from losing positions with his subs or formation tweaks, and a number of young loan players who have been in scintillating form (and all of them are allowed to play tomorrow).

We play with wingbacks, two deep-lying ball-winners/playmakers and two No.10s behind a lone frontman. It's basically a 2-2 midfield box with the wingbacks pushing right up to essentially make it a 3-2-4-1 formation when we're in possession. We like to pass the ball around and wait for openings.

Our line-up tomorrow is anyone's guess. Some Wednesday and Ipswich fans predict we'll drop off when we go through an injury crisis, but they don't realise that we're going through one at the moment! We've currently got five first-teamers out injured so I suspect we'll play one or two young uns tomorrow - not because we'll underestimate you, but because we just can't risk losing any more key men. We don't have the strength in depth that Ipswich, Wednesday etc possess so may play a weakened side tomorrow.

-We score most of our goals from the 60th minute onwards, usually as a result of our subs coming on and changing the game
-Our biggest attacking threat is Morgan Whittaker, who plays in one of the No.10 roles. If he plays tomorrow, expect to see him shoot from anywhere and often
-Our second biggest attacking threat is our left wingback Bali Mumba, who is a real livewire and will keep your defence on their toes (again, if he plays)
-If you park the bus then it will be a long afternoon for everyone. Only one team has done that to us this season and it took us bloody ages to break them down
-We probably won't bring more than about 500 fans tomorrow, which is pretty poor but we're away to Lincoln the week after so I expect people will save their dough for that one.

That's about it.

I'm looking forward to coming back to Blundell Park to try and erase the memories of our last visit when you stopped us winning the League Two Title!

Oh, and it'll be good to see Ryan Taylor again. He was decent for us for a while, though his legs appeared to be made from glass.

Good luck for the game and let's hope both sides come through it unscathed, whatever the score.

I think we can all agree that it wasn't an ideal draw for either of us. Plymouth are a proper football club but from our perspective, we want a bit of a cup run and we've drawn the highest ranked team in the competition!

My hope is that promotion is worth far more than any cup run and you give the squad a good rotate.

Enjoy your trip up and all the best for the rest of the season. Hopefully we don't have a Tuesday night trip to Plymouth to pencil in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 25
DaleH
November 4, 2022, 3:01pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +816
Gold Stars: 168
That is very informative.

I'm really looking forward to seeing us up against a decent team in the magic of The FA Cup where anything can happen.

Playing decent teams is always a great challenge for any player in The FA Cup, and Plymouth are a decent team. But they aren't a great team, and in our lifetimes we have been in bigger cup fixtures than this, against much greater opposition. And we've upset some applecart's in doing so. So, whilst Plymouth fans will naturally be chipper about their start to the season, being top of league 1 (half way up the 92) after just over a quarter of the games played, it really isn't going to be anything massive to be worried about or fear.

Looking forward to it immensely.

Time to resurrect my Fishy signature again. So here goes.

"BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 25
HertsGTFC
November 4, 2022, 5:14pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from SchueysAtTheWheel

That's about it.

Thank you for taking the time on this have a safe journey up. All being well it will be a decent game. I’d suspect you’ll score from a corner tomorrow.

UTM!!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 25
Theimperialcoroner
November 4, 2022, 5:18pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,256
Gold Stars: 102
Love that detail Schuey. Have a degree of respect and affection for Plymouth. Just hope we actually bother to turn up unlike last time I saw us play them in a very one sided 3:0 down at their place a couple of years ago.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 25
CodHead
November 4, 2022, 5:20pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +169
Didn’t we play Plymouth in the FA Cup at Home Park a few years back? 2016 or 2017 I think.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 25
kevikov
November 4, 2022, 5:23pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +834
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Thank you for taking the time on this have a safe journey up. All being well it will be a decent game. I’d suspect you’ll score from a corner tomorrow.

UTM!!

Now the guys said it, you could pretty much bet on them scoring from a corner!

I was there, the day Bradley Wood scored a 35 yarder!

From the black and white striped shirts
To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby
And this is our chant.......... Grimsby! Grimsby! Grimsby!

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 25
TownSNAFU5
November 4, 2022, 5:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,894
Gold Stars: 42
Useful  background on Argyle thanks.

I have clear memories of 2 Plymouth fans.  I joined the RAF with a mad Plymouth fan.  He never stopped going on about them.  So much so that he was called”Plymouth”.  Most people forget what his real name was.  

The other Plymouth fan is quite a famous character in Devon I believe.    Ed Shillabeer is 83 years old and still working as a veterinary surgeon.  

He is more famous as an international race-walker, competing in the Olympic trials in his younger days.  I also witnessed his outstanding British track record over 100km (62 miles) set in the mid 1980s.  (I was supporting other walkers).  He is travelling to the game tomorrow.  Still a very active Plymouth supporter.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 25
moosey_club
November 4, 2022, 6:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,294
Gold Stars: 226
Thanks Schuey......we will report all that information to Hursty immediately so he can make the necessary tweaks to our approach to ensure we can negate any threats you may have or grab the initiative at your weaknesses......ie we can leave 6 up at a corner as you wont ever score.

Unless of course that's exactly what you was hoping we would do ?????

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 25
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Plymouth perspective

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.