Sandford1981
July 17, 2023, 9:13pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from ginnywings

That's a job I've done countless times, although the sleeper walls were still in situ and just required a dpm and wooden wallplate bedding on.

I once moved into a house, only to find a big hole in the floor which had been hidden by a rug and a piano on viewing. I started to investigate and 4 hours later, I had no floors or joists in either the front room or living room. Bit of a nightmare to say the least.

I have to say that the labour does sound a tad high to me, as does the materials cost, but I'm a bit out of touch with prices nowadays being semi retired and only taking on small jobs nowadays.

When you say the sleeper walls have one brick; do you mean one brick in height, which is unusual, or one brick single skin wall a few bricks high?

4 sets spread evenly across the width of the room consisting of one brick in height and 18 in length.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 37
ginnywings
July 17, 2023, 9:30pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Sandford1981

4 sets spread evenly across the width of the room consisting of one brick in height and 18 in length.

Righto!

18 bricks is 4 mts, so I presume it's a room roughly 4mts x 3mts.

Not a lot of brickwork and not a big room, so it does seem at the top end price wise to me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 37
Mappers
July 17, 2023, 10:04pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,422
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from chaos33
Junior doctor £14 p/h x 8  = £122 per day. Just saying.

Tbf you can make decent money from trades , I did a few bits to help a painter and decorator and then  brickie out a good few years ago was good crack and a decent handful of actual cash at the end in your hand .

It's suprising the amount of people you talk to now ,who went down the academic route who  wish they had learnt a trade instead (or maybe that's just the people I talk to ) .

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 37
Limerick Mariner
July 17, 2023, 10:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,730
Gold Stars: 138
Quoted from Mappers

Tbf you can make decent money from trades , I did a few bits to help a painter and decorator and then  brickie out a good few years ago was good crack and a decent handful of actual cash at the end in your hand .

It's suprising the amount of people you talk to now ,who went down the academic route who  wish they had learnt a trade instead (or maybe that's just the people I talk to ) .

Radio 4 the other day - AI won’t be a threat to the skilled trades - too much thinking on your feet so would be way too costly to build the algorithms to operate the robots. Professions are much more at risk from AI.

Multi-skill mechanical and electrical operatives for retrofitting renewable technologies in millions of homes - heat pumps, solar, batteries, heat batteries, infra red heat, storage heaters - solutions will be multifaceted dependent on the property’s design and the skills will be like gold dust. They are already in massive under supply, and the third level institutions are just not gearing up fast enough to deliver the skilled people.

The gas engineers in their late 40s and 50s won’t retrain to install heat pumps without a big financial incentive - they’ll just do the residual work left for gas boilers then retire.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 37
Sandford1981
July 18, 2023, 1:32am
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Righto!

Not a lot of brickwork and not a big room, so it does seem at the top end price wise to me.

Yep bang on, you presume correctly! Glad it’s not just me. Thank you for your help.

Private Message
Reply: 24 - 37
Sandford1981
July 18, 2023, 2:06pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Righto!

Just had another quote for the same job and the Labour is  £750 which to me is much more like it and what I would say is fair.

Private Message
Reply: 25 - 37
ginnywings
July 18, 2023, 3:38pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Sandford1981

Just had another quote for the same job and the Labour is  £750 which to me is much more like it and what I would say is fair.

Nice one.

I'll waive my 10% consultation fee this time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 37
Sandford1981
July 18, 2023, 4:52pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Nice one.

I'll waive my 10% consultation fee this time.

😂 cheers I appreciate it!

Private Message
Reply: 27 - 37
moosey_club
July 18, 2023, 5:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,298
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from chaos33
Junior doctor £14 p/h x 8  = £122 per day. Just saying.

Personally i would pay the £200 - £250 and get the builder to do the work rather than a junior doctor 😄

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 37
moosey_club
July 18, 2023, 5:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,298
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from ginnywings

Afraid not, no.

Done a few injection damp courses years back, which is relatively easy to do and you can hire the gear.

However, you first need to make sure you actually have rising damp as there are other reasons why a wall can be damp. Bridged damp course, poor ventilation, blocked air bricks etc. Beware unscrupulous builders who will charge you a fortune to 'fix' a problem that may not even exist and may not be cured with a damp course.

You need to bear in mind that damp proof remedies don't always work and that the work involved is very messy and disruptive because of the need to remove all the render and plaster up to a metre up the wall.

An effective and cheaper solution can be tanking, where you remove the render, paint the walls with a liquid membrane and re-render and plaster, with a waterproofing agent added to the render.

Then there is the traditional method of physically removing a course of bricks and fitting a DPC before replacing said bricks. This is done in small sections for obvious reasons.

I had quite a bad wall in my own house and I tackled it by covering it over with panelling made from water resistant MDF and painted. The damp is still there but you can't see it and it was done in 2 days.

Personally I would only go down the physical route in our local area. Injections, creams, etc just don't last/work. Same for osmosis. Whether that's the sea level , salt water , water table whatever...they just don't last.  
Got piles of useless "guarantees"  in our work files for properties with injections that were done 10 - 20 yrs ago but are riddled again.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 37
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › D.I.Y and Trades

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.