This thread currently has 3,114 views. Print
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
October 27, 2022, 10:48am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,086
Gold Stars: 200

Was a big fan of VAR but not so sure now.

Harry Kane's goal last night was ruled offside despite "ball went backwards" claim.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1585381377301962752

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Lincoln Mariner 56
October 27, 2022, 11:03am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,765
Gold Stars: 81
I was at the match and talk about destroying the joy of football!, it’s ruining the game as a spectacle and should be scrapped. Can you imagine how we would have felt if Waterfall’s goal at Wrexham had been struck off because of Smithy’s actions or Dissy’s goal at County for hand ball?

Bloody hate the system
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 40
blundellpork
October 27, 2022, 11:04am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,665
Gold Stars: 32
The whole point of VAR was to address clear and obvious errors. This is neither clear nor obvious. VAR is sucking the life out of football, and I’m grateful we don’t have it in the lower leagues.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 40
Hagrid
October 27, 2022, 11:05am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,490
Gold Stars: 536
kane was in front of the ball despite it going backwards....Right decision, even if i dislike VAR

I find it hard to have any sympathy at all with these clubs and the millions they spunk about on a yearly basis
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 40
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
October 27, 2022, 11:09am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.85
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,831
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from Hagrid
kane was in front of the ball despite it going backwards....Right decision, even if i dislike VAR

I find it hard to have any sympathy at all with these clubs and the millions they spunk about on a yearly basis

Correct. Technically it was offside.

If you’re a Sporting fan you’d be pïssed off it wouldn’t have been checked by VAR and the goal stood. Someone is going to be annoyed, that’s football. If the technology is there you have to use it.

It’s just an excuse for lazy, thick football pundits to show their lack of understanding of the laws of the game. Talksport would have nothing to moan about if VAR didn’t exist.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 40
Rodley Mariner
October 27, 2022, 11:09am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,257
Gold Stars: 178
Don't like VAR but have greatly enjoyed the selfie-stick footage of Spurs fans celebrating in a very self aware manner before going all sad. Loads of them on Twitter with a 'Game's finished' statement and they are all hilarious.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 40
lew chaterleys lover
October 27, 2022, 11:21am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Hagrid

Well he wasn't really was he? Where they draw the vertical line, connected to another line showed his kneecap half an inch ahead. Some may say that half an inch is half an inch, but it is subjective as to where you draw the lines, the angles and the precise moment the ball is headed across. It's not football to disallow goals like that.

Whenever a goal is scored the authorities are actively looking for ways to disallow it. Sometimes they go back and look during the build-up to the goal 30 yards out. It is completely ridiculous.

I have said it before but why don't the players or managers refuse to play with VAR as it is ruining the game.

My only team is GTFC but imagine the Spurs fans and staff and players last night - it is becoming a bloody nightmare.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 40
ska face
October 27, 2022, 11:23am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,753
Gold Stars: 851
This was always going to be the case and plenty of normal people had pointed out that introducing VAR was a “Pandora’s box” type situation, but the talking heads, pundits, managers, journos etc just wouldn’t let it be. The whole thing’s fúcked now and I wouldn’t swap our place for one in the Prem with VAR for any money.

It was best summed up by someone on MOTD the other week, might’ve been the City/Liverpool match where there was a contentious VAR decision that could’ve gone either way. The pundit said “some go for you, some go against you, they tend to balance themselves out over the course of a season”….err, yeah, that’s what happened since football was invented and everyone just accepted it. Now you’ve got the same outcome, but you can’t celebrate a goal in case it’s pulled back for someone farting the wrong way 50-yards up the pitch, and the game is held up for 10 mins while the ref does a performative stare at a TV monitor.

Said it before, if we had VAR in the playoffs we would’ve never had that joy we felt after the two goals at County or McAtee at Wrexham, which would’ve probably been all pulled up.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 40
diehardmariner
October 27, 2022, 11:25am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539

Correct. Technically it was offside.

If you’re a Sporting fan you’d be pïssed off it wouldn’t have been checked by VAR and the goal stood. Someone is going to be annoyed, that’s football. If the technology is there you have to use it.

It’s just an excuse for lazy, thick football pundits to show their lack of understanding of the laws of the game. Talksport would have nothing to moan about if VAR didn’t exist.

I feel incredibly disappointed in myself for agreeing with Andy Gray, but I don't go to football to see goals scrubbed out for offside knees.  

Yes, I completely agree that the rules are the rules and this belief that VAR is ruling goals out, when it's the application of it to the rules that is causing the issue.

But I just don't like what it's doing to the game as a spectacle.  It's too refined in the decisions.  Football isn't a perfect art.  It's the human errors in it that make it so fascinating, to me anyway.  I think referees need help and I think technology can certainly be used to do so, retrospectively after game in instances of diving etc.  But during the game, I think I'd be much happier if VAR wasn't a feature at all.  
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 40
Les Brechin
October 27, 2022, 12:00pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,717
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from ska face
This was always going to be the case and plenty of normal people had pointed out that introducing VAR was a “Pandora’s box” type situation, but the talking heads, pundits, managers, journos etc just wouldn’t let it be. The whole thing’s fúcked now and I wouldn’t swap our place for one in the Prem with VAR for any money.

It was best summed up by someone on MOTD the other week, might’ve been the City/Liverpool match where there was a contentious VAR decision that could’ve gone either way. The pundit said “some go for you, some go against you, they tend to balance themselves out over the course of a season”….err, yeah, that’s what happened since football was invented and everyone just accepted it. Now you’ve got the same outcome, but you can’t celebrate a goal in case it’s pulled back for someone farting the wrong way 50-yards up the pitch, and the game is held up for 10 mins while the ref does a performative stare at a TV monitor.

Said it before, if we had VAR in the playoffs we would’ve never had that joy we felt after the two goals at County or McAtee at Wrexham, which would’ve probably been all pulled up.

The thing is, if we had VAR then that Wrexham game would have been totally different. Maybe Wrexham's early award of a penalty would have been overturned but if not Mullin's goal would definitely have been disallowed for handball and the game would have played out completely different.

Keep VAR in the Prem, we don't bloody want it down here.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 40
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › VAR again

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.