This thread currently has 2,927 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
October 27, 2022, 8:57am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,086
Gold Stars: 200

Holloway is on BBC 1 Breakfast now pushing his book, no idea if he will mention his spell at Town.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
barralad
October 27, 2022, 9:14am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,297
Gold Stars: 127
Needless to say he didn't. He just came out with the type of guff which took the vast majority of us in. Looking at where we are now the only conclusion you can come to is that we ultimately dodged a massive bullet there.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 23
Poojah
October 27, 2022, 9:25am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,667
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from barralad
Needless to say he didn't. He just came out with the type of guff which took the vast majority of us in. Looking at where we are now the only conclusion you can come to is that we ultimately dodged a massive bullet there.

I don’t know about that, the bullet definitely hit. Without the urgent CPR applied by messrs Stockwood and Pettit we’d almost certainly be dead now.

Important to remember both sides of the coin.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 23
diehardmariner
October 27, 2022, 9:32am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Let's put a positive spin on it.

His arrival here was in some way linked to this bigger masterplan that involved Alex May, I'm pretty much convinced of that.  I'm not sure if it was a business arrangement or that Fenty/May felt that Holloway would have the connections to make the inroads they wanted.  Regardless, it happened.

That in turn brought the May saga forward, someone (thank you!) tipped off the local press and James Findlater (when we eventually get a new ground he's as deserving as anyone of a stand named after them!) dug and dug and dug, probably in very difficult circumstances to get that scoop and run with it.  

Once the story was out it absolutely copulated Fenty over.  Here was the second in command of the local council caught in bed with a convicted fraudster and it left him with his pants well and truly down.  Whatever plans he had business wise in this area were done and dusted.  

Had this not come out, Fenty wouldn't have let go on his grasp of GTFC because he viewed it as integral to whatever vision/scheme he had lined up.  Only when the reality hit that he wasn't going to get to see this through, did he decide to sell out as we were no longer of any benefit to him.

Holloway's regime (first four months aside) was a disaster.  But 22 months after he first arrived, we're in a ridiculously better position now.  It's not even recognisable.   I'm not grateful for his role in that because it wasn't intended, I'll sure as hell never thank him.   But without him as the catalyst for the shenanigans to develop, I'm not convinced we would have our current ownership.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 23
devs
October 27, 2022, 9:38am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,984
Gold Stars: 30
media don't know what he is going to say next - that's why they love him cos he's a bumbling idiot
Convinced if he didn't sound like a carrot cruncher they'd leave him well alone

They are laughing at him and not with him

From a neutral point of view he's very entertaining and I can see why he gets thousands for after dinner speeches

Shite footy manager ultimately
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 23
mariner91
October 27, 2022, 9:45am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,725
Gold Stars: 262
My partner text me saying "It's the football manager on BBC that you don't like" swiftly followed by "he seems like he's insane". I feel a bit bad cause she has no interest in football at all so I must have been really ranting about him for her to remember his name.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 23
promotion plaice
October 27, 2022, 9:46am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,086
Gold Stars: 200

Holloway couldn't understand why he's getting no calls from clubs and England will win the World Cup in Qatar, says it all.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 23
MuddyWaters
October 27, 2022, 9:49am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,277
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from promotion plaice

Holloway couldn't understand why he's getting no calls from clubs and England will win the World Cup in Qatar, says it all.

We’ll win the World Cup? Yep. That’s the normal populist guff that spews out of his mouth.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 23
Poojah
October 27, 2022, 10:01am
Vodka Drinker
I genuinely couldn’t bear to listen to the bloke. So much so that it occurred to me when we signed Ryley Towler last season that he’d ruined the West Country accent for me in the same way Hitler ruined the toothbrush moustache.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 23
thefish
October 27, 2022, 10:27am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -1
Approval: +2,267
Gold Stars: 67
Quoted from mariner91
My partner text me saying "It's the football manager on BBC that you don't like" swiftly followed by "he seems like he's insane". I feel a bit bad cause she has no interest in football at all so I must have been really ranting about him for her to remember his name.

Say what you want about the bald bloke from Bristol… his acting works for him: he’s built a character that a lot of people find amusing.

Let’s face it, he’s mentioned on here a LOT more than any other recent managers: Slade, Jolley, Bignot etc.

If he angers you, the best thing you can do is ignore him- any publicity is good publicity…
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 23
Garth
October 27, 2022, 10:32am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
Makes the flesh creep, every time I hear his name, that all I can say while vomiting
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 23
Poojah
October 27, 2022, 10:36am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from thefish

Say what you want about the bald bloke from Bristol… his acting works for him: he’s built a character that a lot of people find amusing.

Let’s face it, he’s mentioned on here a LOT more than any other recent managers: Slade, Jolley, Bignot etc.

If he angers you, the best thing you can do is ignore him- any publicity is good publicity…

Nah, his is an episode of our history we must not forget. Slade and Bignot did terrible jobs for us (Jolley does not fall into that category for me) but they were not part of a bigger scheme that could have destroyed the club, all for his financial benefit. And he also did the worst job of the lot of them to boot, but that frankly pales into insignificance.

Bignot and Slade I will forget in time; Holloway will remain hatefully remembered until the day that I die - and preferably not before he does.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 23
Mayaman
October 27, 2022, 10:37am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,421
Gold Stars: 74
[quote=123]Let's put a positive spin on it.

His arrival here was in some way linked to this bigger masterplan that involved Alex May, I'm pretty much convinced of that.  I'm not sure if it was a business arrangement or that Fenty/May felt that Holloway would have the connections to make the inroads they wanted.  Regardless, it happened.

That in turn brought the May saga forward, someone (thank you!) tipped off the local press and James Findlater (when we eventually get a new ground he's as deserving as anyone of a stand named after them!) dug and dug and dug, probably in very difficult circumstances to get that scoop and run with it.  

Once the story was out it absolutely copulated Fenty over.  Here was a the second in command of the local council caught in bed with a convicted fraudster and it left him with his pants well and truly down.  Whatever plans he had business wise in this area were done and dusted.  

Had this not come out, Fenty wouldn't have let go on his grasp of GTFC because he viewed it as integral to whatever vision/scheme he had lined up.  Only when the reality hit that he wasn't going to get to see this through, did he decided to sell out as we were no longer of any benefit to him.

Holloway's regime (first four months aside) was a disaster.  But 22 months after he first arrived, we're in a ridiculously better position now.  It's not even recognisable.   I'm not grateful for his role in that because it wasn't intended, I'll sure as hell never thank him.   But without him as the catalyst for the shenanigans to develop, I'm not convinced we would have our current ownership.[/quote

I hate you Diehard.  Now i cannot undo the image of Fenty with his trousers down.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 23
WOZOFGRIMSBY
October 27, 2022, 10:42am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,907
Gold Stars: 179
I would say he drew in 98% of people and we all thought that Fenty had pulled off some form of major coup when he was announced as manager. Rumours of Charlie Adam signing, his willingness to stump up £100k and ambition from the board were all, quite basically bullshit.

That first (half) season was promising but the major fu(k up of the signings pre covid season and the financial lies will all he will be remembered for.  And quite rightly so.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 23
diehardmariner
October 27, 2022, 11:17am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Mayaman

I hate you Diehard.  Now i cannot undo the image of Fenty with his trousers down.

[youtube]u9e0QgHjDZc[/youtube]

Can complete the picture now...
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 23
ex-merseymariner
October 27, 2022, 11:31am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,401
Gold Stars: 9
Jolley left with a classy goodbye message.

Hollow words / runaway promised to stay promptly left and never explained himself, I don't count that new owner contact nonsense weak excuse.

So I remember one as classy polite and wish him well

And the other quite the opposite

I'd actually be far interested in a jolley book or interview than a Holloway one  but that's the way these things work

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 23
Les Brechin
October 27, 2022, 12:08pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,717
Gold Stars: 174
Has anyone actually bought his new book?

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 23
Gainsbro_Mariner
October 27, 2022, 12:20pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +27 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 14
Quoted from promotion plaice

Holloway is on BBC 1 Breakfast now pushing his book, no idea if he will mention his spell at Town.

I would say we'll be in his book definitely.

He's mentioned us a few times since in podcasts and so forth, things that I have listened too out of morbid curiosity.

In one Podcast he said Grimsby fans are some of the best he's ever had in his career and that he is absolutely gutted that we all hate him now.

He commented that we'd raised X amount of money for a mental health charity during Covid times and he thought that was amazing.

Think he followed the usual drivel about leaving because he came here to work with the current regime, but went on to apologise for ruining anyone's football club (if we thought that) and that he didn't honestly mean to set out to do that  (I would imagine that's more aimed at us and Millwall fans)

Tony Gallimore nicked my Pint and my sausage roll
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 23
mariner91
October 27, 2022, 12:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,725
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from Gainsbro_Mariner

I would say we'll be in his book definitely.

He's mentioned us a few times since in podcasts and so forth, things that I have listened too out of morbid curiosity.

In one Podcast he said Grimsby fans are some of the best he's ever had in his career and that he is absolutely gutted that we all hate him now.

He commented that we'd raised X amount of money for a mental health charity during Covid times and he thought that was amazing.

Think he followed the usual drivel about leaving because he came here to work with the current regime, but went on to apologise for ruining anyone's football club (if we thought that) and [b[that he didn't honestly mean to set out to do that  (I would imagine that's more aimed at us and Millwall fans)[/b]

He wouldn't have intended to but the fact remains that it seems extremely likely that he got into bed with Fenty and a convicted fraudster in a nefarious bid to make them all some money using the club as the vehicle to do so. His own arrogance would have made him think that he could have carried the football side of things and been the front for it. I doubt it was even his idea, he would have been seen by Fenty and May as the extremely useful idiot to help keep things sweet on the pitch.

Doesn't excuse him though, he's still a nob.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 23
scrumble
October 27, 2022, 12:45pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +986
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from diehardmariner
  (trimmed for brevity) That in turn brought the May saga forward, someone (thank you!) tipped off the local press and James Findlater .

With a good script writer this would make a decent drama, like a modern version of the Watergate scandal, maybe call it "All the not Chairmans men"

Byddwn ond yn canu pan fyddwn yn pysgota
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 23
diehardmariner
October 27, 2022, 1:07pm
Vodka Drinker
If we're going down a political thriller type, it has to be the Ides of March May.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 23
Bristol Mariner
October 27, 2022, 2:06pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
Holloway was told he would have money to spend.....

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 23
aldi_01
October 27, 2022, 2:52pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
For a man that’s had nothing funny to say for nigh on 20 years, he rarely shuts up.

Fraud, charlatan, crook…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 23
horsforthmariner
October 27, 2022, 4:50pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,633
Gold Stars: 9
He just spouts garbage. Fundamentally we signed players (with the exception of Scannell) who were at best National League level (Williams) and in Gibson, Rose, Jackson, Bennett who were substantially below that level. It's no wonder we got relegated.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 23
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Holloway on BBC 1 Breakfast

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.