Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back  (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 207 Guests

Just Back  (merged)

This thread currently has 9,557 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
pontoonlew
October 26, 2022, 10:08am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
I’ve woken up still annoyed which is a rarity, I’m not worried and completely accept it’s a one off. However, for those who didn’t watch that, it’s hard to describe how abject that performance was, the inability to string a simple pass together was incredible to watch.

Always seems to be on a Tuesday night when we fall to pieces, very bizarre.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 78
barralad
October 26, 2022, 10:22am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,297
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from HerveJosse
I can’t take this tired long journey can’t play on Saturday on Tuesday stuff. Barrow where away to Gillingham on Saturday 600 mile round trip live and train around Manchester and travel up to Barrow to play . We were outfought everywhere on the pitch.

The coach set off after we did which I thought was surprising. I know Barrow isn't the most picturesque of towns but I thought we'd have travelled up on Monday.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 78
Rodley Mariner
October 26, 2022, 10:23am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,257
Gold Stars: 178
Was just on all round bad performance. Summed up when Hunt actually burst forward near the end and found a bit of space and Simmonds failed to find him with a lay off from all of 2 yards. Really annoying that despite that we should have had a point if we hadn't defended that cross so poorly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 78
ska face
October 26, 2022, 10:24am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,753
Gold Stars: 851
You should’ve watched Bake Off, gents.
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 78
diehardmariner
October 26, 2022, 10:58am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Interesting point Hurst made about their pitch, almost as if it was better than they expected it to be.

We didn't play football much at all last night.  Wonder if Hurst is thinking he was too keen to stick with the high tempo from Saturday rather than let our better footballers do what they can.  

Hindsight is fantastic but Holohan pushed further forward worked well on Saturday because Bradford were open as hell, that'll happen against the supposed better sides of the division - those who will play against us fully expecting to get all 3 points.  

Barrow were tighter and you probably need more about you than high press and forcing mistakes.  Richardson looks to be someone who will make something happen himself rather than force an error.  Think we definitely need to see more of him, operating in and around Taylor rather than out wide too.

Again, with that beauty of hindsight, Clifton at left-back with Holohan deeper then Khan and Richardson behind Taylor would probably have worked better.  
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 78
A.l.f.
October 26, 2022, 10:59am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +687
Gold Stars: 7
Just up after getting back in the early hours.  Well we were well off our usual pace and not sure if it was us that was bad or whether Pete Wilde had done his homework and stifled us completely.  Barrow outworked us, which is rare and pushed us back closed us down with great effect.  We seemed to struggle with the bounce of the pitch and failed to create anything of note out wide.
Hopefully a ‘one’ off but we’ll see.  Too many players had off nights and to only lose 1-0 was the only real plus point I guess.
Long trip for the 462 of us which is great credit to us all. I’m not going to moan like some have about the long trip as I’ve been rewarded many times after long trips…..sadly last night it didn’t happen.
On to Saturday UTM

PS - Not a penalty but well saved Max
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 78
Chrisblor
October 26, 2022, 11:21am

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,933
Gold Stars: 238
Quoted from A.l.f.
Just up after getting back in the early hours.  Well we were well off our usual pace and not sure if it was us that was bad or whether Pete Wilde had done his homework and stifled us completely.  Barrow outworked us, which is rare and pushed us back closed us down with great effect.  We seemed to struggle with the bounce of the pitch and failed to create anything of note out wide.
Hopefully a ‘one’ off but we’ll see.  Too many players had off nights and to only lose 1-0 was the only real plus point I guess.
Long trip for the 462 of us which is great credit to us all. I’m not going to moan like some have about the long trip as I’ve been rewarded many times after long trips…..sadly last night it didn’t happen.
On to Saturday UTM

PS - Not a penalty but well saved Max

It was very similar to Halifax away last season (same opposition manager and also on a Tuesday night) - we looked rubbish and created little, they spent the whole game hassling us and nicked a goal through a penalty. Think Wild's just figured out how to counter Hurst's usual tactics.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 78
Son of Cod
October 26, 2022, 11:26am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from Chrisblor
Glennon phoned in sick this morning, Kiernan was missing for personal reasons and JMD and Orsi were both injured in training.

Ah okay fair, cheers mate. Did listen to the pre-match, I must be have been distracted.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 78
Lincoln Mariner 56
October 26, 2022, 11:36am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,763
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from barralad

The coach set off after we did which I thought was surprising. I know Barrow isn't the most picturesque of towns but I thought we'd have travelled up on Monday.

Must say I was surprised when in his pre-match interview PH said they were travelling on the day and with the increased revenue this season I would expect this to have been an overnight stop. I note some comparisons given Barrow travelled to Gillingham on Saturday but they would have had recovery time on Sunday/Monday whilst we appear to have got straight off the bus into the game.

Anyway all teams lose games throughout the season and have matches where they’re crap and this appears to have been one of those.

I expect nobody is interested but I popped down to Lincoln United and saw Grimsby Borough win 2-0 in a very feisty affair. Very impressed with Borough’s left back who scored a cracking goal in what was clearly a more enjoyable game than the town match.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 78
diehardmariner
October 26, 2022, 11:40am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from Chrisblor

It was very similar to Halifax away last season (same opposition manager and also on a Tuesday night) - we looked rubbish and created little, they spent the whole game hassling us and nicked a goal through a penalty. Think Wild's just figured out how to counter Hurst's usual tactics.

Wild's also a very, very good manager.  

Overperformed at Halifax, overperforming at Barrow now as well.  The only slight stain on his copybook is at Oldham, where he left with a decent record and he's gone on record as saying he knew it was a poisoned chalice.  I like his honesty in that.  Boyhood club or not, smart enough to recognise the situation.

I think a few clubs will fall victim of underestimating him and his team this season, also won't surprise me if he's snapped up again in the summer.
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 78
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back  (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.