Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Who has surprised you so far?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 242 Guests

Who has surprised you so far?

This thread currently has 4,367 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
HertsGTFC
October 16, 2022, 9:13am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
They’ve all surprised me, yesterday we beat the NL champions and are above them in the league whilst they’re finding it a challenge and looking below them we have ambitions to aim higher than our current position, most thought it would be the opposite way around.

What I’m not surprised about is the manner in which we’re doing it, Hurst’s values and culture runs through the playing side of this club from top to bottom.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 33
pen penfras
October 16, 2022, 9:28am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from It Bites
Harry Clifton. Not only has he stepped up a level he's starting to look like a good league one prospect. Someone will come in with a lot of money in Jan . There aren't many players around like him anymore .he's been simply magnificent

Clifton for me too, he's clearly confident and our biggest threat in the box with his late arrival. Not got the quality of Disley, but got the best engine I've ever seen. He won't command a big fee, because he's too limited elsewhere, but certainly a solid L2 midfielder and would probably do ok in L1.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 33
Croxton
October 16, 2022, 9:35am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,020
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Mariner93er
Efete is getting a bit of stick of late but I actually think Glennon has been worse. They barely got in at all down our right hand side yesterday and all their chances came down our left. It's something that I thinks been happening a bit too often of late and I suspect teams have worked out the Smith-Glennon combo is our weak point.

At this level there will be crunch moments when a team creates an overload by good movement and passing. Both Efete and Glennon needed back up at times. Waterfall is alert, decisive and vocal. Smith's strength is his pace but needs to communicate better perhaps. Efete needs telling when he has allowed his winger to ghost behind him and Glennon had to be helped out by Khan a few times.

I like the fact that we have a fluid system when we go three at the back and push wing backs further on. We certainly get better out of Glennon who has the nous of a winger when needed whereas Michee makes the mistake of thinking too hard and should be more positive and instinctive with the final ball. I had doubts over Michee's ability to adjust but his heading strength was again useful yesterday.

Work in progress all over the pitch. Biggest surprise for me was how commanding Green was at matching Stockport's physicality and his level of fitness after looking a bit laboured as a sub at Salford.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 33
GhostDan
October 16, 2022, 9:49am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +984
Gold Stars: 12
I’ve been surprised at the standard of the League in general, I think there’s 10/12 decent sides, most of whom look to get the ball down and play generally albeit Stockport were incredibly direct yesterday.

Players wise for us - I wasn’t enamoured with Holohan last season but he’s been outstanding for me this year.  Clifton, Waterfall, Smith all brilliant aswell.

I’ve been slightly critical of Green a few times on here this season, mainly because we’d all seen how  good he was against us for the Shaymen and he hasn’t looked anything remotely like that player.. until yesterday. Playing in his proper position he was colossal, proper warrior and I hope he can kick on and be a huge player for us for the next few years.

The thought of a fully fit McAtee and Scannell coming back into this squad really is exciting.

UTFM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 33
Kris2
October 16, 2022, 10:44am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
Waterfall has been one of our best players again this season. Not only did he bounce back from a relegation season where most would have been happy to see him move on with a player of the season performance in a NL promotion but he's been an important player for us this season too. Regularly wins headers, defensively solid and a leader at the back. Crocombe has provided some much needed confidence between the sticks and gives us something we have struggled with for a while in the ability and confidence to claim crosses and cut out attacks along with pulling off some great reaction saves. Corners and crosses are no longer a panic moment where we expect a clanger.

Just because nobody mentioned him I'll throw Khan in there as a really good signing. Has some really good anticipation of the game and great with the ball at his feet. Been involved in many of our goals since coming into the side after an unfortunate pre season injury. Great to have a player who always looks like he wants the ball and will beat his man.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 33
forza ivano
October 16, 2022, 11:01am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,267
Gold Stars: 266
Crocombe & Khan for me. Waterfall, clifton Smith n Morris have been the most impressive
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 33
RonMariner
October 16, 2022, 11:11am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,790
Gold Stars: 226
Holohan, Crocombe and Clifton have all upped their game this season.  They all look like very solid EFL players and I think they could all hold their own in L1. As could Waterfall, Glennon, Smith, Green and Morris to name but a few. When MacAtee returns we will have a side well capable of challenging for a play-off place.

And as we know, anything can happen in the play offs.  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 33
TAGG
October 16, 2022, 11:18am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,939
Gold Stars: 126

Green has been excellent for me, we looked infinitely better with him and it Morris in the middle. [/quote]

When was this??
IMO Morris has looked no better than Gav, Harry or Hunt and will struggle to get back in the side as yesterday showed.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 33
HertsGTFC
October 16, 2022, 11:39am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from GhostDan
I’ve been surprised at the standard of the League in general, I think there’s 10/12 decent sides, most of whom look to get the ball down and play generally albeit Stockport were incredibly direct yesterday.

Players wise for us - I wasn’t enamoured with Holohan last season but he’s been outstanding for me this year.  Clifton, Waterfall, Smith all brilliant aswell.

I’ve been slightly critical of Green a few times on here this season, mainly because we’d all seen how  good he was against us for the Shaymen and he hasn’t looked anything remotely like that player.. until yesterday. Playing in his proper position he was colossal, proper warrior and I hope he can kick on and be a huge player for us for the next few years.

The thought of a fully fit McAtee and Scannell coming back into this squad really is exciting.

UTFM

Khan, McAtee & Scanz in a front 3 would be interesting.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 33
Bristol Mariner
October 16, 2022, 2:56pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
Truss - she's worse than I thought

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 33
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Who has surprised you so far?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.