This thread currently has 11,728 views. Print
8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
October 15, 2022, 8:04pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,086
Gold Stars: 200

Both teams in good form, sold out away end, Andy Cook returns to one of his old stomping grounds, looking forward to it.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
crusty ole pie
October 15, 2022, 8:05pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,384
Gold Stars: 66
One of those games that make your hairs stand up really can’t wait
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 76
ska face
October 15, 2022, 8:13pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,753
Gold Stars: 851
Only 5 singles & 32 restricted views left in the Main. The two blocks in the Osmond were taken off sale nearly a week & half back and haven’t been opened since, so again people are being forced into poor seats while decent ones are sat empty. Surely they’ll have to be opened up Monday?
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 76
zorro_is_a_Mariner
October 15, 2022, 9:11pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +30 / -6
Approval: +1,369
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from ska face
Only 5 singles & 32 restricted views left in the Main. The two blocks in the Osmond were taken off sale nearly a week & half back and haven’t been opened since, so again people are being forced into poor seats while decent ones are sat empty. Surely they’ll have to be opened up Monday?

The osmand is open mate but you have to ring club shop to book the tickets in there.

Gtfc all the way
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 76
zorro_is_a_Mariner
October 15, 2022, 9:12pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +30 / -6
Approval: +1,369
Gold Stars: 4
Block a was nearly sold out when I got my ticket Thursday too.

Gtfc all the way
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 76
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
October 15, 2022, 9:14pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.85
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,831
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from promotion plaice

Both teams in good form, sold out away end, Andy Cook returns to one of his old stomping grounds, looking forward to it.

I might as well say this now - Andy Cook has pulled out. So if anyone wants to leave, now's the time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 76
AndyGTFC
October 15, 2022, 9:32pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +804
Gold Stars: 5
So everywhere's sold out apart a few seats in the Main Stand to confirm?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 76
Scenes on toast
October 15, 2022, 9:36pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +393
Gold Stars: 2

I might as well say this now - Andy Cook has pulled out. So if anyone wants to leave, now's the time.

Still good news on the chocolate oranges tho.......
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 76
ska face
October 15, 2022, 9:58pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from zorro_is_a_Mariner

The osmand is open mate but you have to ring club shop to book the tickets in there.

If I were a casual fan I’d look at the seats available online & abandon the idea of going. I’ll give it a rest now, it’s even boring me saying the same thing every few weeks, no idea what the club are thinking, it’ll be farcical if there are empty seats on Saturday.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 76
FPVmariner
October 15, 2022, 11:48pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +337
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from ska face

If I were a casual fan I’d look at the seats available online & abandon the idea of going. I’ll give it a rest now, it’s even boring me saying the same thing every few weeks, no idea what the club are thinking, it’ll be farcical if there are empty seats on Saturday.

You had the opportunity to buy a season ticket……..but that wouldn’t have suited your purpose to moan about anything and everything would it.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 76
ska face
October 16, 2022, 8:05am

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from FPVmariner

You had the opportunity to buy a season ticket……..but that wouldn’t have wsuited your purpose to moan about anything and everything would it.

How would me having a season ticket stop the club forcing fans to buy restricted views tickets? I’m sat in the middle of the Pontoon mate, I don’t follow your logic.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 76
Phil the cod
October 16, 2022, 6:55pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +5 / -5
Approval: -332
Gold Stars: 61
It's the £5 for a sausage roll that's the real issue here.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 76
HertsGTFC
October 16, 2022, 8:01pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
When I opened this thread I thought it would be a thread about the game rather than the new found obsession.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 76
wiggers
October 17, 2022, 7:26am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Approval: +469
Gold Stars: 11
They’re best player Andy Cook against our best player Luke Waterfall. Clash of the Titans!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 76
ginnywings
October 17, 2022, 8:49am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
It'll be a good test of where we are at. We have very similar stats to them, and they have won their last four away games.

Difference being that Cook has scored 60% of their goals, so keep him quiet and you're halfway there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 76
ska face
October 17, 2022, 10:11am

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ska face

As if by magic, Block A now online again. Good to see.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 76
Poojah
October 17, 2022, 10:34am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,669
Gold Stars: 1,508
Really looking forward to this one. A sellout crowd, the biggest gate of the season so far and the kind of occasion being back in the league is all about. Bradford have always been good value for making a bit of noise here in the past.

We’re just over a quarter of the way through the season and the table is beginning to have a degree of structure about it. Just 4 points separates 5th from 12th, the same total that separates 12th from 13th. We’re now 5 points and a vastly superior goal difference clear off the bottom half, so I think it’s clear which end of the table we intend to be at; for me Saturday is a test of just how far we can realistically go.

A win would take us above Bradford, who recruited impressively (and expensively) in the summer with the likes of Richie Smallwood and Vadaine Oliver, though admittedly Oliver has been outshone by a certain Andy Cook who is the league’s second top scorer so far.

I always liked Cookie, who somehow looks fitter at 31 than he did at 21. I’ll like him even more if he behaves himself on Saturday…

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 76
diehardmariner
October 17, 2022, 10:37am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from ska face

I’ll give it a rest now.

No, don't.

It's a persistent issue that needs addressing.

It shouldn't matter if your a ST holder or not, where you sit or even if you're going to that game.  This is a massive area of improvement that the club need to be looking at as a priority.  I'm sorry if some people find it boring or repetitive, but it simply isn't good enough that the painfully poor seats are sold before the decent view seats are offered up.  Or this random approach that happens from game to game with seats in the corner on sale, but only via telephone.  Surely it's all via one ticketing system?

I've got my seat, the same seat I've had for 30+ years.  I'm alright, Jack.  But I want to see this club grow and I want to see more and more fans coming in through the gates and returning for years to come.  Ignoring this issue isn't going to help that.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 76
queenybantam07
October 17, 2022, 10:54am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +84
Looking forward to this one, I’m just gutted that I couldn’t secure a ticket.

The allocations in this league are farcical. We’ve sold out every away game this season, bar Tranmere and Colchester on Tues nights, and the away average currently sits just under a 1,000. Which highlights my point regarding allocations as a whole.

Anyway, the match. Cook notched his 13th goal of the season at the weekend. Although he reaps the awards and headlines, the team as a whole have done very well so far - barring last weekends awful display at home to County.

We’ve won our last 4 away games - a record we haven’t achieved since winning League One in 1985. If we can keep this form going beyond next Saturday, it’ll be mightily impressive.

Gilliead missed the weekend due to the birth of his son. It’ll be harsh on Ryan East, but I think he’ll have to make way for Gilliead’s return.

GK: Harry Lewis

RB: Brad Halliday
CB: Matt Platt
CB: Romoney Critchlow
LB: Matty Foulds

CM: Ritchie Smallwood
CM: Alex Gilliead

RW: Dion Pereira
CAM: Harry Chapman
LW: Tyreik Wright

ST: Andy Cook

We’re still missing Jamie Walker, Abo Eisa, Manny Osadebe, Scott Banks and Liam Ridehalgh.

Predict a close encounter: 1-1
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 76
Theimperialcoroner
October 17, 2022, 10:58am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,257
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from queenybantam07

The allocations in this league are farcical. We’ve sold out every away game this season, bar Tranmere and Colchester on Tues nights, and the away average currently sits just under a 1,000. Which highlights my point regarding allocations as a whole.

Anyway, the match. Cook notched his 13th goal of the season at the weekend. Although he reaps the awards and headlines, the team as a whole have done very well so far - barring last weekends awful display at home to County.

We’ve won our last 4 away games - a record we haven’t achieved since winning League One in 1985. If we can keep this form going beyond next Saturday, it’ll be mightily impressive.

Gilliead missed the weekend due to the birth of his son. It’ll be harsh on Ryan East, but I think he’ll have to make way for Gilliead’s return.

We’re still missing Jamie Walker, Abo Eisa, Manny Osadebe, Scott Banks and Liam Ridehalgh.

It’s good to see Cook doing well, I always thought he was decent but lacked a bit of application/common sense.
This’ll be a big test for us, we are as good as anyone in this league on our day but lack a bit of consistency at home to really push forward just yet. You’re lucky McAtee is still not fit as I think we’ll really find our groove then.
Will be good to see Blundell Park full. Hope you get hammered of course.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 76
diehardmariner
October 17, 2022, 11:07am
Vodka Drinker

Unfortunately that's the issue with fourth division football.  Most grounds are of a fairly small capacity.  It doesn't make it a farce though, it's just what it is.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 76
Poojah
October 17, 2022, 11:21am
Vodka Drinker

The allocations are what they are, a reflection of ground sizes at this level that are incompatible with the followings of clubs like Bradford (and Grimsby). At most grounds, the allocations on offer are ample for 18 or 19 games a season.

We’re not fiddling you out of tickets as an act of shíthousery; if we can meet the requirements laid down by the EFL whilst selling every other seat in the ground to home supporters then we can, and we will. I’d expect every other club to do the same, though I appreciate its particularly unfortunate for Bradford who have the capacity to offer most clubs as many tickets as they want, alongside a season ticket holder base of 15k plus which doesn’t compute well with most away ends. Only one solution to that…

Your anticipated lineup looks strong for this level, and I thought at the start of the season you would, and should be up there. On the balance of everything we know I’d have the Bantams down as slight favourites on Saturday; if anything I’d be more confident playing you at Valley Parade at this moment in time.

All that said, we are overdue a good performance at home; our 3-0 win against Crawley last time our asked as many questions as it answered about our home form. It would certainly be a great occasion to turn it on.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 76
queenybantam07
October 17, 2022, 11:22am
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner

Unfortunately that's the issue with fourth division football.  Most grounds are of a fairly small capacity.  It doesn't make it a farce though, it's just what it is.

Each to their own.

Barrow - 620
Colchester - 467 (Tues)
Hartlepool - 704
Mansfield - 1,750
Tranmere - 985 (Tues)
Harrogate - 600
Salford - 1,341

Barrow, Hartlepool, Harrogate and Salford could’ve allocated us more, but chose not to. This is was I mean by the allocations being farcical. It’s not as though the games are at their capacity, as there’s ample space in the home ends.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 76
Poojah
October 17, 2022, 11:38am
Vodka Drinker

Each to their own.

Barrow - 620
Colchester - 467 (Tues)
Hartlepool - 704
Mansfield - 1,750
Tranmere - 985 (Tues)
Harrogate - 600
Salford - 1,341

Barrow, Hartlepool, Harrogate and Salford could’ve allocated us more, but chose not to. This is was I mean by the allocations being farcical. It’s not as though the games are at their capacity, as there’s ample space in the home ends.

Notts County did the same to us in the play-offs last year when a good 2,000 seats in the away end remained empty. We had the last laugh though, and how we laughed!

I’m not sure whether issues over segregation requirements plays a role in those low numbers. Harrogate is my closest away game if the season and I’m not looking forward to getting a ticket in the away end.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 76
Mariner_09
October 17, 2022, 11:48am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
It's a good opportunity to get our season up and running (from the perspective of home games). Although we won last week, we were still pretty ordinary. Having won their last 4 away games, they'll come to us full of confidence and hopefully take the game to us a bit more than some sides have.

We then have two eminently looking away games to follow Bradford. It could be the start of becoming a serious side. There are 6 points between 3rd and 12th. Promotion doesn't feel unrealistic if we can get our home form something like.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 76
Son of Cod
October 17, 2022, 11:54am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196

Surprised Levi Sutton is struggling to get in the side this season, thought he was doing well for you last season. I reckon he'd be a good one for you to start against us, he'd be chomping at the bit to put in a good performance after he came on and got instantly sent off for Scunny a few seasons ago.

Quoted from Poojah

Notts County did the same to us in the play-offs last year when a good 2,000 seats in the away end remained empty. We had the last laugh though, and how we laughed!

I’m not sure whether issues over segregation requirements plays a role in those low numbers. Harrogate is my closest away game if the season and I’m not looking forward to getting a ticket in the away end.

I do wonder had we not had those restrictions away at Notts and Halifax last season if we'd still have slashed our allocations this season. It's obviously not as bad for us to do so if we're filling the home ends, but I do think we're setting a bit of a dangerous precedent here. It's always (in recent history) been 1800+ and the full Osmond for visiting supporters and I think that's what it should always be if they can shift them. We'll be giving Donny the same lower allocation and who's to say they aren't going to turn around and drop our allocation from 4000 down to 1500? Definitely got some sympathy for those Bradford fans selling out most away ends and scrambling for tickets like they are. The irony of it is that we could end up with a higher away average than them this season purely because of them giving us a decent allocation.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 76
ginnywings
October 17, 2022, 12:05pm

Recovering Alcoholic

In seasons past, you would have been given whole Osmond stand, but since the new owners took over and our promotion from non-league, the interest of home fans has increased massively, and we now give the segregated part of the Osmond to home fans, whilst still meeting the away allocation percentage set out by the EFL.

We ourselves have and will come across games when the demand outstrips the supply.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 76
Les Brechin
October 17, 2022, 12:13pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,717
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from ginnywings

In seasons past, you would have been given whole Osmond stand, but since the new owners took over and our promotion from non-league, the interest of home fans has increased massively, and we now give the segregated part of the Osmond to home fans, whilst still meeting the away allocation percentage set out by the EFL.

We ourselves have and will come across games when the demand outstrips the supply.

Harrogate on Boxing Day is going to be one mad scramble for tickets if we're still in half decent form.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 76
gytone
October 17, 2022, 12:13pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,029
Gold Stars: 8
Now block A of the osmond stand is nearly sold out, wonder if block B will be open ?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 76
Maringer
October 17, 2022, 12:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,646
Gold Stars: 189
Cook's problem when he was with us was that he simply wasn't fit. He was a young lad who moved across the country and was reportedly homesick and he just didn't look after himself. I wasn't at all bothered when he left because he didn't look particularly bothered when he was playing for us.

His record since seems to show he's sorted himself out, so no doubt the curse of the ex is a risk once again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 76
Limerick Mariner
October 17, 2022, 1:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,727
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from gytone
Now block A of the osmond stand is nearly sold out, wonder if block B will be open ?

Think it will be already be open for telephone and in person sales.

Our next 5 home league are really tasty and testing - 4 teams at the top end plus Donny. Great isn't it...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 76
HertsGTFC
October 17, 2022, 1:35pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228

If you can field that 11 then I suggest we've got a challenge on our hands but one I know our lads we'll be up for. Though I want us to be winning more at home I'd take 1-1 now if I could.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 76
grimps
October 17, 2022, 4:43pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,136
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from Son of Cod

Surprised Levi Sutton is struggling to get in the side this season, thought he was doing well for you last season. I reckon he'd be a good one for you to start against us, he'd be chomping at the bit to put in a good performance after he came on and got instantly sent off for Scunny a few seasons ago.

I do wonder had we not had those restrictions away at Notts and Halifax last season if we'd still have slashed our allocations this season. It's obviously not as bad for us to do so if we're filling the home ends, but I do think we're setting a bit of a dangerous precedent here. It's always (in recent history) been 1800+ and the full Osmond for visiting supporters and I think that's what it should always be if they can shift them. We'll be giving Donny the same lower allocation and who's to say they aren't going to turn around and drop our allocation from 4000 down to 1500? Definitely got some sympathy for those Bradford fans selling out most away ends and scrambling for tickets like they are. The irony of it is that we could end up with a higher away average than them this season purely because of them giving us a decent allocation.

I think the difference and the frustrating thing about those two clubs restricting our allocation was that there was thousands of empty seats in the ground .
Our ground will be full against Bradford so they can’t really have the same complaint
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 76
immariner
October 17, 2022, 6:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,414
Gold Stars: 61
Quoted from Son of Cod

If we hadn't mate, it would have left circa only 1000 tickets for pay on the day Town fans. Had we topped the league from the off we'd have had home sell outs with the ridiculous prospect of 50 away fans in the whole of the Osmond. As galling as it is for Bradford, Donny and possibly Mansfield fans who won't be able to get tickets, it was absolutely the right call. I hope those clubs recognise that and don't go for a spiteful mammary approach, because it isn't tat to begin with
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 76
fishboyUTM
October 17, 2022, 6:05pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,071
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Maringer
Cook's problem when he was with us was that he simply wasn't fit. He was a young lad who moved across the country and was reportedly homesick and he just didn't look after himself. I wasn't at all bothered when he left because he didn't look particularly bothered when he was playing for us.

His record since seems to show he's sorted himself out, so no doubt the curse of the ex is a risk once again.

He seems to have a bizzare hatred of us. He scored against us a while ago and went out of his way to celebrate wildly in front of our supporters. We got behind him when he was here, we did have the dark cloud of Fenty hanging over us and I suppose it may have transferred to the pitch somewhat, but I don't see what his problem is.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 76
lukeo
October 17, 2022, 6:30pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,396
Gold Stars: 149
Toughest game of the season so far I'd say. Hoping we can get a win which would be absolutely brilliant. A draw I'd be pleased with. If we lose, as long as we contest and give a real go at it l, it's not the end of the world. Their wage bill is probably quadruple ours.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 76
The Yard Dog
October 17, 2022, 11:00pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,514
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from fishboyUTM

He seems to have a bizzare hatred of us. He scored against us a while ago and went out of his way to celebrate wildly in front of our supporters. We got behind him when he was here, we did have the dark cloud of Fenty hanging over us and I suppose it may have transferred to the pitch somewhat, but I don't see what his problem is.

He is a nice lad, took time out to help with school fayre during his time at Town, he was a young lad who was taken in by leeches that hang around footballers.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 76
ska face
October 18, 2022, 10:42am

Vodka Drinker
Didn’t he have a touch of Harry Pells about him? That was the chant away at Mansfield a few years back, not sure of the background.

Anyway, down to 10 single seats in the home end, 6 restricted views in the Main. Block B not open yet…
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 76
Mariner_09
October 18, 2022, 10:52am
Whiskey Drinker
Suspecting the crowd will be 7,700-8,000. Capacity is 8,400 (as that’s what the attendance for the Forest game was), so you’d expect 400-700 no shows each week, as Bradford have sold out. We need to try and create a good atmosphere and put them under pressure, something we’ve failed to do almost all season at home.

Private Message
Reply: 38 - 76
Poojah
October 18, 2022, 11:14am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Mariner_09
Suspecting the crowd will be 7,700-8,000. Capacity is 8,400 (as that’s what the attendance for the Forest game was), so you’d expect 400-700 no shows each week, as Bradford have sold out. We need to try and create a good atmosphere and put them under pressure, something we’ve failed to do almost all season at home.

I’d like to think marginally higher or at least in line with the Forest game, with that being on a Tuesday night bang in the middle of holiday season.

Agree re: atmosphere, it’s been flat at times to the point that Hurst has commented on it. I do though think that it’s easier to generate an atmosphere when there’s a noisy away end, which Bradford should bring, so fingers crossed that helps too.

We’re entering a potentially defining stage of the season; Saturday is a great opportunity to couple a solid home performance with a win, and finally but those questions to bed.

Bradford can’t win 5 on the bounce away from home; can they?

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 76
Mariner_09
October 18, 2022, 11:51am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

I’d like to think marginally higher or at least in line with the Forest game, with that being on a Tuesday night bang in the middle of holiday season.

Agree re: atmosphere, it’s been flat at times to the point that Hurst has commented on it. I do though think that it’s easier to generate an atmosphere when there’s a noisy away end, which Bradford should bring, so fingers crossed that helps too.

We’re entering a potentially defining stage of the season; Saturday is a great opportunity to couple a solid home performance with a win, and finally but those questions to bed.

Bradford can’t win 5 on the bounce away from home; can they?

It was a total sell out for Forest. I'd be surprised if we got above 8,000 on Saturday but I've been wrong before.

We could do with a statement victory, beating a fancied side who've won the last four away games would be just that.

Private Message
Reply: 40 - 76
out of town
October 18, 2022, 11:52am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.40
Rep Score: +0 / -2
Approval: +717
Gold Stars: 10
I’m selling my ticket in the Pontoon for £15 if anyones interested?

Gutted to be missing this one
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 76
chipsandgravy
October 18, 2022, 11:58am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Approval: +3,632
Gold Stars: 38
Were a quarter of the way through the season and we lie 10th and in spitting distance of the playoffs so a pretty decent start. The next quarter could have a major impact on our season looking at some of the games starting Saturday. For the first time in ages we have decent strength in depth and in the short term Morris to return and longer MCatee and Scannel so who knows how far we can go. Like I say the next couple of months will be interesting but one thing I know this team has boll@cks by the bucket load - which we will undoubtly need.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 76
Poojah
October 18, 2022, 12:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Mariner_09

It was a total sell out for Forest. I'd be surprised if we got above 8,000 on Saturday but I've been wrong before.

We could do with a statement victory, beating a fancied side who've won the last four away games would be just that.

I think Saturday will be a sellout. Virtually just the one block in the Osmond to go and I suspect people are waiting for that to open so they can buy seats together.

I’d be surprised if it isn’t a sellout. Which is mad really; I just looked up the attendance from our Championship days when Benito Carbone scored a 30 yard free-kick to secure a 1-0 win for Nicky Law’s Bradford. 5,054, which presumably included around 2,000 Bradford fans who would have had the full Osmond (and possibly the green seats too).

These are really great times to be following Town after some pretty appalling ones, to be fair. I have to remind myself to take stock of that and cherish these moments.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 76
Mariner_09
October 18, 2022, 12:24pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

I think Saturday will be a sellout. Virtually just the one block in the Osmond to go and I suspect people are waiting for that to open so they can buy seats together.

I’d be surprised if it isn’t a sellout. Which is mad really; I just looked up the attendance from our Championship days when Benito Carbone scored a 30 yard free-kick to secure a 1-0 win for Nicky Law’s Bradford. 5,054, which presumably included around 2,000 Bradford fans who would have had the full Osmond (and possibly the green seats too).

These are really great times to be following Town after some pretty appalling ones, to be fair. I have to remind myself to take stock of that and cherish these moments.

But Forest was a Cup game, so all non sold ST went on the open market. No shows were therefore not an issue. Here we will likely have 400-800 ST no shows.

Private Message
Reply: 44 - 76
Poojah
October 18, 2022, 12:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Mariner_09

But Forest was a Cup game, so all non sold ST went on the open market. No shows were therefore not an issue. Here we will likely have 400-800 ST no shows.

Yeah, valid point. To be fair I bought a ticket for the Forest game but ended up not being able to go last minute; sure there will have been a few in that boat but agreed, less than Saturday.

Either way, we’ve come a long way in a short space of time. Found the video of the 2002 game I mentioned above; the ground looks deserted in places.

Oh, and Carbone’s free kick was not an inch further than 19 yards; funny what the memory does. I also had no recollection whatsoever of Bob Taylor’s bizarre sending off.

https://youtu.be/qzQomPglXUA

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 76
Corkyefes
October 18, 2022, 1:40pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: -140
Really looking forward to Saturday, which will be our toughest game up to now this season.

Bradford are bound to make some noise and hopefully our fans can replicate it, as in all honesty the atmosphere at BP isn't always the best.

This game will show us where we really are.

Heart says we win, but head says I'd be happy with a draw.
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 76
Maringer
October 18, 2022, 1:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,646
Gold Stars: 189
Oddly enough, I didn't remember the free-kick at all, but clearly remembered the bizarre red card. He kicked the air in frustration (their nearest player didn't know anything about it) but the referee somehow saw it as a sending off.

Robert Taylor, another striker who came, did nowt and quickly left. I've seen a lot of those over the years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 76
Poojah
October 18, 2022, 1:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Corkyefes
Really looking forward to Saturday, which will be our toughest game up to now this season.

Bradford are bound to make some noise and hopefully our fans can replicate it, as in all honesty the atmosphere at BP isn't always the best.

Going into the Stockport game I was of the opinion 4 points from that game and Bradford would be a cracking result. It’s easy to get greedy having already got the first 3 on the board, but on the face of it a draw on Saturday wouldn’t be a bad result at all.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 76
Poojah
October 18, 2022, 1:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Block B now open, for those still looking to buy a ticket.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 76
Corkyefes
October 18, 2022, 3:30pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: -140
Quoted from Poojah

Going into the Stockport game I was of the opinion 4 points from that game and Bradford would be a cracking result. It’s easy to get greedy having already got the first 3 on the board, but on the face of it a draw on Saturday wouldn’t be a bad result at all.

Totally agree...

To be fair, before we kicked off on Saturday I personally would of been happy with two points from the Stockport and Bradford games. 3 points very happy and 4 points even happier!

So come Saturday, if we manage to secure another 1 or 3 points, we've had a fantastic 4 weeks.

UTM!
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 76
diehardmariner
October 18, 2022, 3:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Bob Taylor just couldn't stay fit when here, I think that was probably why he was here to start with!  Whenever he did play he looked effective and a natural foil for Boulding.

That red card hasn't got any better in the last 20 years.  Best bit is you can clearly see Taylor go to kick the air in frustration/protest, spot their guy and holds his air-kick until he's gone past.
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 76
Son of Cod
October 18, 2022, 5:26pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from grimps

I think the difference and the frustrating thing about those two clubs restricting our allocation was that there was thousands of empty seats in the ground .
Our ground will be full against Bradford so they can’t really have the same complaint

Quoted from immariner

If we hadn't mate, it would have left circa only 1000 tickets for pay on the day Town fans. Had we topped the league from the off we'd have had home sell outs with the ridiculous prospect of 50 away fans in the whole of the Osmond. As galling as it is for Bradford, Donny and possibly Mansfield fans who won't be able to get tickets, it was absolutely the right call. I hope those clubs recognise that and don't go for a spiteful mammary approach, because it isn't tat to begin with

Yeah, I obviously understand and agree to an extent with this argument. I'm just coming it from the angle of away fans, probably because I go to more away matches than I do home ones. I'd be annoyed if we started only getting 1000 or so for Mansfield for example. While home ends selling out definitely justifies that, it wouldn't stop me being disappointed if I couldn't then get a ticket. It's great that we're in this position, so I hope I don't come across as negative as that's not what I'm intending.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 76
headingly_mariner
October 18, 2022, 6:28pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,393
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from ska face
Didn’t he have a touch of Harry Pells about him? That was the chant away at Mansfield a few years back, not sure of the background.

Anyway, down to 10 single seats in the home end, 6 restricted views in the Main. Block B not open yet…

I'm not sure why it was, but it completely threw him. He stopped warming up near us and barely touched the ball when he came on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 76
ginnywings
October 18, 2022, 6:42pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Corkyefes

Not so sure that Bradford are some kind of yardstick to measure ourselves against. They have very similar stats to us after 13 games.

My concern would be that they are on a great away run and we have been pretty average at home so far.

The key will be keeping Cook quiet as he has scored most of their goals this season, whereas we have spread them around as we did last season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 76
aldi_01
October 19, 2022, 7:07am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from ginnywings

Not so sure that Bradford are some kind of yardstick to measure ourselves against. They have very similar stats to us after 13 games.

My concern would be that they are on a great away run and we have been pretty average at home so far.

The key will be keeping Cook quiet as he has scored most of their goals this season, whereas we have spread them around as we did last season.

Just call him a sex case all game…it worked last time.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 76
grimps
October 19, 2022, 8:23am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,136
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from Poojah

I’d take any given attendance figures from the 80s to the early 2000s with a pinch of salt , I never paid to get in for years and many others did the same .
Everyone seemed to have a scam going and I’m sure the club was at it too for tax fiddles
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 76
1mickylyons
October 19, 2022, 8:49am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,389
Gold Stars: 56
This game feels like a big game which is great for both sets of fans when you consider its league 2. I just hope we can pinch it we've 4 massive.home games on the spin in the league be nice to start off with a win.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 76
WOZOFGRIMSBY
October 19, 2022, 1:50pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,907
Gold Stars: 180
Quoted from Maringer
Oddly enough, I didn't remember the free-kick at all, but clearly remembered the bizarre red card. He kicked the air in frustration (their nearest player didn't know anything about it) but the referee somehow saw it as a sending off.

Robert Taylor, another striker who came, did nowt and quickly left. I've seen a lot of those over the years.

Ironically, that petulant kicking out was the closest he got to scoring all game

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 76
Abdul19
October 19, 2022, 2:03pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,576
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Maringer

He did it twice too!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 76
coddy60
October 19, 2022, 2:33pm

Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +7 / -16
Approval: +656
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from ska face

The lad who started the chant just made the allegation up, and everyone else joined in!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 76
rancido
October 19, 2022, 7:02pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,617
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from ska face

As if by magic, Block A now online again. Good to see.

Are you happy now?

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 76
ska face
October 19, 2022, 7:13pm

Vodka Drinker
No, but thanks for asking.

Haven’t you got grass to be cutting?
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 76
gytone
October 19, 2022, 8:49pm
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,029
Gold Stars: 8
Roughly 30 odd tickets left on Wednesday night, should sell out now, should be a cracking atmosphere.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 76
Poojah
October 19, 2022, 9:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Apparently we haven’t beaten Bradford for 24 years and two days - 16 attempts. I remember the game and winning goal vividly, Lee Nogan looping a header over Gary Walsh in front of the Pontoon - I just hadn’t realised we hadn’t beaten them since.

We were enjoying something of a purple patch then, having just been promoted at the first time of asking.

It’s time, isn’t it?

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 76
rancido
October 19, 2022, 9:58pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,617
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from ska face
No, but thanks for asking.

Haven’t you got grass to be cutting?

Finished both lawns this afternoon. Last cut of the season and now the lawn mower can be readied for its winter break.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 76
diehardmariner
October 20, 2022, 12:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Poojah
Apparently we haven’t beaten Bradford for 24 years and two days - 16 attempts. I remember the game and winning goal vividly, Lee Nogan looping a header over Gary Walsh in front of the Pontoon - I just hadn’t realised we hadn’t beaten them since.

We were enjoying something of a purple patch then, having just been promoted at the first time of asking.

It’s time, isn’t it?

Let's not forget when we failed to beat them, despite centre-back Mark Bower going in their goal for 75 minutes....I think that has to be up there as one of the most frustrating Town performances I've ever seen.
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 76
queenybantam07
October 20, 2022, 2:37pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner

Let's not forget when we failed to beat them, despite centre-back Mark Bower going in their goal for 75 minutes....I think that has to be up there as one of the most frustrating Town performances I've ever seen.

Was that when we equalised via a pen in the last minute? I recall being on your pitch for that one.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 76
Poojah
October 20, 2022, 2:49pm
Vodka Drinker

Was that when we equalised via a pen in the last minute? I recall being on your pitch for that one.

This was best footage I could find of it. This was of course 2007, four years before retinas were invented.

https://youtu.be/STZ3H4zGYUg

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 76
DB
October 20, 2022, 2:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
8,500 tickets sold, so far. Those who have already predicted can change their prediction,so note on prediction thread.

https://gtfc.co.uk/bradford-city-update/

It's an absolutely fantastic number sold, so the ground should be rocking, especially with a Town victory.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 76
Limerick Mariner
October 20, 2022, 3:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Approval: +5,727
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from DB
8,500 tickets sold, so far. Those who have already predicted can change their prediction,so note on prediction thread.

https://gtfc.co.uk/bradford-city-update/

It's an absolutely fantastic number sold, so the ground should be rocking, especially with a Town victory.

At last! GTFC have effectively declared the capacity of BP is not 9,052.

I predict 8,100 declared on Saturday.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 76
Chrisblor
October 20, 2022, 5:33pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,932
Gold Stars: 238
Sounds like half our squad's ill, which isn't great!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0d8cwyf

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 76
WOZOFGRIMSBY
October 20, 2022, 5:43pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,907
Gold Stars: 180
Quoted from rancido

Finished both lawns this afternoon. Last cut of the season and now the lawn mower can be readied for its winter break.

That fu(king World Cup has a lot to answer for

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 76
Poojah
October 20, 2022, 8:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Don’t appear to be any seats available anywhere in the ground at the time of writing. The club won’t announce a sellout of course, while they allow for those who can’t make it to release their seats, but it’s bloody good going for a regular league season game in October.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 76
Meza
October 20, 2022, 9:33pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,647
Gold Stars: 50
The last time i saw Town play Bradford was 1990 when i was 16 it was a good game just couldn't get the winner.  1990 was the start of me watching Town, use to sit on the bar around the half way line getting players autographs with my mates smelling the wintergreen from the players haha good times.

Heres a youtube clip of some games during the 1990 season.

Featuring:
Grimsby Town v Stoke City (27th Oct 1990)
Bradford City v Grimsby Town (26th Jan 1991)
Huddersfield v Grimsby Town (2nd Feb 1991)
Grimsby Town v Southend (9th Mar 1991)
Grimsby v Brentford (16th Mar 1991)
Grimsby Town v Reading (30th Mar 1991)

[youtube]Upg1IRbbOec[/youtube]

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 76
queenybantam07
October 20, 2022, 11:11pm
Lager Top Drinker
Massive boost for City!

Scott Banks and Abo Eisa back available.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 76
promotion plaice
October 21, 2022, 12:14am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,086
Gold Stars: 200

Bradford City 1-3 Grimsby Town, 16 April 1979.

I was there, feared for my life coming out of the ground that day.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 76
8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Let's talk about the Bradford game

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.