Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back.
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 205 Guests

Just back.

This thread currently has 12,434 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
wigworld
October 10, 2022, 5:53pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,080
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from acko338

Who would want to see a scraped promotion bid as we are, and maybe a relegation season to follow?

I get what you mean, but wasn't last season a scraped promtotion, and we seem to be doing OK at the moment.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 60 - 79
mimma
October 10, 2022, 6:13pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
If we are promoted then our income increases and we attract and pay for better players, so promotion scraped or otherwise will mean we will be able to get better players to hopefully improve further.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 79
MuddyWaters
October 10, 2022, 6:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from davmariner

Wearne hasn’t done anything to warrant a run of games. Other than a decent 10 minutes at home to Northampton he’s not shown anything at all.

He’s disappointed me for sure. Whilst Maguire Drew wasn’t effective on Saturday, he does seem to have something about him compared to Wearne (and Kiernan for that matter).
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 79
pontoonlew
October 10, 2022, 6:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from davmariner

Wearne hasn’t done anything to warrant a run of games. Other than a decent 10 minutes at home to Northampton he’s not shown anything at all.

Kiernan hasn’t shown a single thing to show he deserves his place though, for that alone, Wearne deserves another shot.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 79
TheRealJohnLewis
October 10, 2022, 6:59pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Quoted from pontoonlew

Kiernan hasn’t shown a single thing to show he deserves his place though, for that alone, Wearne deserves another shot.

What about his goal?

Private Message
Reply: 64 - 79
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
October 10, 2022, 7:09pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.85
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,831
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis

What about his goal?

There was also that delicious flick late on against Salford, that set former boo-boy target Clifton away. It should have resulted in Orsi winning the match for us; even after two bites of the cherry.

I thought Kiernan played a major role in our late rally against Salford. He’s had a few bright moments, including the abandoned Carlisle match. Just a typical inconsistent L2 forward / wide man; perhaps a quarter yard short of pace and goal threat but with a decent touch.

If Kiernan is a super strength, reliable condom, Wearne is featherlite and prone to splitting and JMD is bareback (pleasurable at times but very risky).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 79
SouthLakesMariner
October 10, 2022, 8:12pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +938
Gold Stars: 21
Quoted from mimma
If we are promoted then our income increases and we attract and pay for better players, so promotion scraped or otherwise will mean we will be able to get better players to hopefully improve further.

It does get a bit trickier though given we have generally offered longer contracts, so less less scope for new signings.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 79
Poojah
October 10, 2022, 8:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,669
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from SouthLakesMariner

It does get a bit trickier though given we have generally offered longer contracts, so less less scope for new signings.

Crocombe
Amos
Cropper
Pearson
Smith
Kiernan
Morris
Wearne
McAtee
Maguire-Drew
Pepple
Richardson
Scannell
Simmonds
Taylor

That’s 15 senior players who will have either reached the end of their contract or their loan no later than June next year. Contrast that with just 10 senior players contracted beyond the end of the season, I’d say there’d be scope to improve regardless of what league we find ourselves in next August.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 79
jamesgtfc
October 10, 2022, 8:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from SouthLakesMariner

I'd say that at least half of our squad are out of contract at the end of this season. Some of them will probably get a deal but McAtee will be gone, Taylor isn't getting any younger and it's unlikely that Smith will be back again next season.

The board regularly talk about continuous improvement so I would definitely say there is scope for new signings in January. Kiernan's loan is up in January and one of Richardson/Simmonds is.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 79
Mariner_09
October 10, 2022, 9:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from Poojah

Crocombe
Amos
Cropper
Pearson
Smith
Kiernan
Morris
Wearne
McAtee
Maguire-Drew
Pepple
Richardson
Scannell
Simmonds
Taylor

That’s 15 senior players who will have either reached the end of their contract or their loan no later than June next year. Contrast that with just 10 senior players contracted beyond the end of the season, I’d say there’d be scope to improve regardless of what league we find ourselves in next August.

I think, as the season progresses, injuries permitting, Green and Morris will be the mainstays of our midfield. However, apart from Khan I think the front three/four will need some serious surgery if we’re going to really challenge. Taylor will be another year older, Keirnan isn’t up to it as a winger for a serious challenger, JMD hasn’t done much when he’s started (although that’s more to do with how we haven’t got the ball to him enough I think), Wearne hasn’t shown much more than Keirnan and McAtee and Richardson will have gone. Apart from that, I think we’ll retain basically all the other starters (bar Smith). I don’t know if JS/AP would look at injecting more cash if they thought there was a genuine shot at promotion on offer, we’ll have to put ST prices up to get anymore money out of gate receipts (unless we expand the capacity somehow). So, there is scope to improve but it will be quite hard, Hursty will have to get his recruitment even more spot on than he usually does.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 79
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.