ska face
October 6, 2022, 11:10am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,753
Gold Stars: 851
Quoted from Poojah

Cheers. It’s a murky world, gambling. Back in the early days of my career I used to work with a number of big gaming firms; Betfred, Skybet, Blue Square, Sporting Index and the like. I’d have access to the back-end reporting numbers and some of the individual losses were absolutely eye watering, and the unhealthy patterns as clear as day. You could see bets being chased. Put me off gambling for life.

There are absolute reprobates working in those firms. A couple of chaps stand out in particular. One bloke, an ex-Etonian…

People like that should be put against the wall in front of their families.

There was a documentary on the BBC probably about a year ago that looked at how the big gambling firms actively targeted people they knew were problem gamblers and bombarded them with incentives, special deals, preferential treatment just to keep them gambling. PHE reckon over 400 suicides each year are related to gambling, I personally know more than a handful of people who have lost everything after being targeted the same way and it’s all for the benefit of a small number of disgustingly wealthy people at the top.

The bet365 boss Denise Coates personally took home over £421m in 2020, then £300m last year. Another candidate for the wall treatment.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 19
HertsGTFC
October 6, 2022, 11:12am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
I know the club my have to toe the line on indirect funding but I’d prefer we did our best to gravitate away from betting, it’s an incredibly dangerous pastime for some people.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 19
diehardmariner
October 6, 2022, 11:20am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from ska face

People like that should be put against the wall in front of their families.

There was a documentary on the BBC probably about a year ago that looked at how the big gambling firms actively targeted people they knew were problem gamblers and bombarded them with incentives, special deals, preferential treatment just to keep them gambling. PHE reckon over 400 suicides each year are related to gambling, I personally know more than a handful of people who have lost everything after being targeted the same way and it’s all for the benefit of a small number of disgustingly wealthy people at the top.

The bet365 boss Denise Coates personally took home over £421m in 2020, then £300m last year. Another candidate for the wall treatment.

This one?  https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0019dz9/gambling-a-game-of-life-and-death

Absolutely awful viewing.  I remember watching it genuinely thinking 'but for the grace of God...'
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 19
October 6, 2022, 12:56pm
Guest User
Quoted from promotion plaice

Of interest to me as I have suffered with panic attacks for decades. My wife works for NAViGO and met Paul Hurst and the players last week at the Paul Merson event held by NAViGO at the Grimsby  Auditorium.

(snippet of related article in today's Telegraph)

"Grimsby Town have announced that their next League Two fixture at home to Crawley Town this Saturday will be the first dedicated Mental Health Awareness Matchday for the club.
At the end of July, the club revealed they had begun a new partnership for the 22-23 season with social enterprise NAViGO who provide various services surrounding mental health care for people in the North East Lincolnshire area.
NAViGO will be heavily involved in the awareness matchday, which will aim to encourage positive conversations around the subject amongst supporters.
Various activities will be taking place at Blundell Park on the day."

I sympathise with you mate, I have had anxiety since my late tee, still have it too.  Also I was diagnosed with PTSD some years ago, so that doesn't help, we just have to grin and bear it.

Reply: 13 - 19
marinerjase
October 6, 2022, 10:45pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,665
Gold Stars: 147
Have mental health issues/problems myself,  Good to see the subject is been given some attention/credence, plenty suffer in various ways/forms..and there are avenues you can go to for help, hope those who aren’t aware can get some more of an idea on Saturday , be that by talking or through information. And nice to see the club highlighting the subject, know they are taking steps to try and help/do more/raise awareness, I’m doing something with the club myself tomorrow on this very subject.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 19
aldi_01
October 7, 2022, 8:19am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
There’s a simple logic…you hurt your arm or leg etc and you go to a doctor, the same approach should work for your head.

Suicide has killed so many people it’s untrue, there’s your real pandemic. Sadly, mental health support and therapy comes with a price that the government seemingly don’t care about.

They added mental health to the SEND Code of Practice but offered little in the way of support and training, similarly, without real research they’ve now added ‘Covid’ to the list of ACEs. Without getting into debate about ACEs, simply adding it is hardly helpful of the funding provided to schools is purely for English and maths.

I don’t know much about the gambling world but I see countless people wasting thousands over the course of a year with little return in truth. Government don’t care, and sadly, I can’t see too many clubs caring given the money they believe they can make.

Something has to give and if continued raising awareness takes place then I’m all for it…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 19
Rick12
October 7, 2022, 8:47am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from aldi_01
There’s a simple logic…you hurt your arm or leg etc and you go to a doctor, the same approach should work for your head.

Suicide has killed so many people it’s untrue, there’s your real pandemic. Sadly, mental health support and therapy comes with a price that the government seemingly don’t care about.

Very well said Aldi. I remember doing a assignment on this for my psychology degree and mental health traditionally before was at the bottom of the pile. Patients with various problems were shipped out to rural communities eg seaside towns where there was little provision. Many were housed in cheap hostels and left to fend for their selves.Things are changing but more needs to be done.

Funnily enough I was on the cleethorpes beachfront near Grimsbys ground recently and I saw a bus with a big advertisement saying along the lines of loosely  "talk  to a mate and prevent suicide" which was nice to see .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 19
FPVmariner
October 8, 2022, 8:44am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +337
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Lost in Lincoln

You could post that you had won the Euromillions, you plan to give every member of the fishy 100k and give the rest to the club and some would still red cross it...

Yeah, it needs to be a £200k gift ……….
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 19
BraStrap
October 8, 2022, 10:35am
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +3 / -5
Approval: +92
Gold Stars: 1
A person kills themselves by jumping in front of a train every day on average in the UK. And that's just 5% of the total suicides.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 19
DB
October 8, 2022, 1:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
We do have a thread on the non football site for anybody who wishes to post.

https://forum.thefishy.co.uk/Blah.pl?m-1603379389/

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 19
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Mental Health Awareness Day

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.