Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Early Kick-Off?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 224 Guests

Early Kick-Off?

This thread currently has 3,228 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
HertsGTFC
October 2, 2022, 8:49pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from aldi_01
Don’t get me wrong, I can see the logic and I get why clubs would think about it but if it’s not really gonna save you anything, given the potential lost revenue then it hardly seems worth it.

The amount of inconvenience it would cause me upset among fans is something to consider. A big shift at GTFC has been fan engagement and gaining fan support. I know they’ve made the odd mistake but they’ve rectified it, this has the potential to be something that could upset fans but cause long term damage to work that’s been done already.

We’ve a relatively high amount of exiles for a club of our size, they travel in, and as Poojah says, it would potentially render his season ticket pointless, May be not all season but for a large part of it.

1700 of us parted with our cash during covid on the slim hole thr government would see sense and open stadiums, they didn’t for us but I took that gamble.

This is different in that I know games like Mansfield away or Donnie could potentially move but almost every game KOs at 3. That works for exiles and locals…

The question has to be, how much would they save?

I heard an interview with Mark Palios on Friday and he was talking about the potential costs to a club, he quoted Tranmere’s bill and it was a stupid amount, I can’t recall exactly but my initial thought was “f**k me energy companies rinsing people again” I seem to think it was not far off £800k a year but they’d fixed their rates like a domestic customer.

If a club hadn’t fixed they could be facing a massive cost increase so a saving could be made if they use less, just the same as any other user.

I’m a STH and an exile and to get to a home game it takes me around 3 hours, I’d prefer not to leave 2 hours earlier than I already do and understand the impact on others.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 25
October 2, 2022, 9:44pm
Guest User
Maybe time to put a wind turbine in one of the corners. We must be able to get one cheap given the connections.
Reply: 11 - 25
MarinerDevil
October 2, 2022, 10:12pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,779
Gold Stars: 80
I think there was an EFL meeting a few days ago where it was considered. No agreement was reached, at least judging by this tweet from Dale Vince:

https://twitter.com/DaleVince/status/1575403110691905536
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 25
GY1
October 2, 2022, 10:21pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +133
Gold Stars: 1
I paid a hundred and forty quid for an overseas mariners TV subscription. With a 1.00pm kick off I would have to get up at 4.30am to watch a game. I wouldn't renew for next year with that kick off time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 25
LH
October 2, 2022, 10:36pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,567
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from 140381
Maybe time to put a wind turbine in one of the corners. We must be able to get one cheap given the connections.

I have thought about this before. Grimsby Road side of the Findus roof is ideal for solar panels. I would say the Main Stand too but i don’t know if it could take the weight. I’m sure the board are probably thinking the same things. Football ground roofs, warehouses, supermarkets etc etc could be utilised for solar energy far more than they are. Far better than turning arable fields into solar farms.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 25
aldi_01
October 3, 2022, 6:47am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Interesting that Vince reckon it’ll only cost £100 a game, I know it’s kinda the thing not to like him etc but he does make a valid point that the meeting was most likely a waste of time if nobody had any figures.

£100 really isn’t a lot when you think about it, and you’d likely lose much more moving them forward, that said, floodlights vary massively across stadiums so I’d imagine for some clubs, the figure will likely be much higher.

I noticed on Saturday though, glorious sunshine yet the floodlights were on. Energy crisis or not, that seems ridiculous…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 25
WOZOFGRIMSBY
October 3, 2022, 9:42am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,904
Gold Stars: 180
Scunny have decided to kick off all games at 1pm for the rest of the season

Then again at 1:15

And again at 1:25

(You get the gist)

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 25
oochiad
October 3, 2022, 9:52am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,725
Gold Stars: 28
I see the logic BUT most of us exile season ticket holders of which there is a lot of, bought under the understanding that matches start at 3. A 1 o’clock kickoff would have meant for me and I suspect many it impossible to get there in time and I wouldn’t have forked out(which I have for years). I would be extremely peed off!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 25
aldi_01
October 3, 2022, 10:43am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from oochiad
I see the logic BUT most of us exile season ticket holders of which there is a lot of, bought under the understanding that matches start at 3. A 1 o’clock kickoff would have meant for me and I suspect many it impossible to get there in time and I wouldn’t have forked out(which I have for years). I would be extremely peed off!!

I live in town but I’d still not be happy. I get it, I understand and I could see why it would be a suggestion but I’m not convinced it saves the clubs much given the potential loss of income from fans and the frustration it is likely to cause.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 25
diehardmariner
October 3, 2022, 2:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Vince's £100 quote has to come from the large use of sustainable/cheaper energy sources, surely.

Wonder what the cost is for those without wind turbines and solar panels.

Moving to 1pm KO's is a no-go, but we maybe need to evaluate these costs and what we can do to cut those (not just us but all clubs).
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 25
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Early Kick-Off?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.