This thread currently has 11,312 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Les Brechin
September 28, 2022, 9:29am

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,717
Gold Stars: 174
We just need to start cutting out these individual errors if we can.

On the whole our performances at home haven't been that bad but if you're going to gift the opposition a couple of goals every game it going to be bloody hard work to win!

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 74
Bigdog
September 28, 2022, 9:40am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
The one thing with Taylor is that how we play the ball up to him and how static he is backing into defenders, it's very easy to defend, predictable and we lose possession a high percentage of times. He's also not strong enough to play the hold up role, he's got to do better for the team than the odd clever flick on. A more willing runner like Orsi opens the pitch up, stretches defences, pulls defenders about and leaves gaps for runners and passes.  

It was nice to see wide players with guile, a willingness to beat a man and both have an eye for a pass. First full games for both, so I can only see improvement there as match fitness improves. We'll revert to type though and both won't start an away game at Salford.

Although he's exactly what we need, Hunt had a bit of an off night with his passing,  and we were so wasteful from set pieces, which should be a major strength. And we've got to be braver on the ball rather than working it back to an aimless Waterfall ball forward. We lose possession that way anyway, so we should take more chances in midfield rather than thinking backwards ball retention is doing us any good.

On a positive note Maher looks like a really good acquisition and Richardson looked lively and a real threat when he came on.

And no one can ignore the two mistakes that led to a limited Carlisle side's two goal lead, but Efete had a better game and looked more like himself otherwise. Like I said you just can't ignore the two crucial mistakes, but other than over running the ball once, he didn't put a foot wrong if you have the time to look back at the whole game.

I think we've got a decent team in the squad somewhere, but I don't think the best blend of eleven players has been on the pitch at the same time yet due to PH's selection or player availability.

Interesting to see what our starting line up will be in a month's time. I hope Hurst doesn't go ultra cautious as I can't see us picking up too many points without looking a goal threat. We need to give teams more to worry about rather than bore them into submission..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 74
lee65
September 28, 2022, 9:52am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,486
Gold Stars: 10
Regarding Efete last night, I think these few words from Poojah sum it up very succinctly,

"I believe he’s every bit a competent League Two full back; I’m not convinced he does"

I was willing him to at least give it a go in just knocking the ball in to space past his man (as usually plenty of pitch left when starting on half way) but I don't think he did it once.  He did look better after his goal when we were pushing, but seeing him close up (from the Osmond) his body language at times looks like he's frightened to be there.

I have to say though that I was saddened at the negativity and vitriol aimed at him by a significant minority of people (I wont say fans) in the Osmond corner, it's totally out of order with one of your own team  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 74
pontoonlew
September 28, 2022, 9:53am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from Garth

I thought Hunt was awful tonight, his passing and corners were woeful, Taylor always gives his best but had a poor partner tonight, Effete needs a rest from first team duties

His corners were but his passing wasn’t, he had a much better game than people are giving him credit for IMO.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 74
HerveJosse
September 28, 2022, 10:01am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.88
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,217
Gold Stars: 144
Horror stat. Since PH returned we have played  41 home league games  In the 17 in which Mcatee appeared we won 14 in the 24 he didn’t appear in we have won 4 . Draw your own conclusions
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 74
Poojah
September 28, 2022, 10:07am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,669
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from HerveJosse
Horror stat. Since PH returned we have played  41 home league. In the 17 in which Mcatee appeared we won 14 in the 24 he didn’t appear in we have won 4 . Draw your own conclusions

It’s all Michee Efete’s fault?

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 74
Zmariner
September 28, 2022, 10:30am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,131
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from HerveJosse
Horror stat. Since PH returned we have played  41 home league. In the 17 in which Mcatee appeared we won 14 in the 24 he didn’t appear in we have won 4 . Draw your own conclusions

That is a horror stat.
My take on last night, a few of the players individually did okay I thought Amos came back well and should keep his place. Morris is clearly a bad miss for us. The young lad upfront, Simmonds in the first half only touched the ball twice. I am a big Taylor fan but this set up is not working in home games and I think I would bring him on as an impact sub
A couple of observations:
When crossing a ball you have to miss the first man I do not know how many times we failed on that last night but to add to that we haven’t got a forward  outside of Taylor who can win a header in the oppositions box and so crossing high is a waste of time anyway
I always get the feeling in these home games that we will never score and as somebody earlier said Goals seem to come right out of the blue. This cannot be right and begs the question is our formation right
Smith has been excellent this season, okay a poor game against Swindon but I thought very hard to drop him
Not particularly fair on Clifton But I would be interested to see him play right back, full of energy, great athlete and I would like to see him locked into one position sooner than playing the role of utilityman
The Arrogance of McAtee is really missed and he lifts the complete team, I am certain there would be more points on the board with him in this team.
Not despondent at all, and as I have said many times when we were in the National League, I will watch any old crap in the football league but the National League was hard work for me utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 74
zorro_is_a_Mariner
September 28, 2022, 10:46am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +30 / -6
Approval: +1,369
Gold Stars: 4
11th after 10 games not a bad return with a few of our main players coming back and our star man coming back by the end of the year. Joint 3rd best defence we are doing OK we know the problem is scoring goals at the moment.

Gtfc all the way
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 74
September 28, 2022, 11:24am
Guest User
[quote=136845]We need to give teams more to worry about rather than bore them into submission..[/quote]

Exactly this!  When we are at home, we should go out with an attacking formation and let them worry about us!

Reply: 48 - 74
Grimsby2012
September 28, 2022, 11:25am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +12 / -8
Approval: -1,464
Gold Stars: 22
As I've been saying since the start of the season, I think we are really going to regret bit signing a more experienced striker instead if relying on Taylor who just simply isn't good enough to be a main striker.

Although I respect people's opinions and their love for Taylor for his help in getting us promoted. We need to be realistic here and realise he isn't a 20 goal player and this shows in our lack of goals.

Stats are facts.

Yes, I have received ridiculous and mostly childish abuse for this opinion, but slowly it will become evident that I was right.

I blocked seeing red ticks years ago so go ahead   If I don't reply to you then i didn't read your replies  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 74
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.