Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Grimsby Borough FC...
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 205 Guests

Grimsby Borough FC...

This thread currently has 3,377 views. Print
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
aldi_01
September 18, 2022, 10:33am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Never really been arsed with either but have to say, this years friendly against Clee Town was odd and to be honest, wouldn’t arsed if we didn’t play them again.

Wasn’t helped by the boring girl private who was stood near us all came just trying to be a clever twit, making comments to town players etc, was clearly part of the Clee Town clique.

To be honest, on the occasions I haven’t been to see town away but wanted footy I’ve gone to Brigg.

I forget Clee Town and borough exist to be honest. Couldn’t tell you what league they’re in, who plays for them or what their results are. Nothing against either but I just don’t care, it’s not for me. I would imagine there’s a rivalry between both sets of players although I would agree, given the levels of investment in Clee Town, to find themselves in the same division as Borough must be annoying…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 18
jamesgtfc
September 18, 2022, 10:48am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from aldi_01
Never really been arsed with either but have to say, this years friendly against Clee Town was odd and to be honest, wouldn’t arsed if we didn’t play them again.

Wasn’t helped by the boring girl private who was stood near us all came just trying to be a clever twit, making comments to town players etc, was clearly part of the Clee Town clique.

To be honest, on the occasions I haven’t been to see town away but wanted footy I’ve gone to Brigg.

I forget Clee Town and borough exist to be honest. Couldn’t tell you what league they’re in, who plays for them or what their results are. Nothing against either but I just don’t care, it’s not for me. I would imagine there’s a rivalry between both sets of players although I would agree, given the levels of investment in Clee Town, to find themselves in the same division as Borough must be annoying…

I see quite a bit of that level for work, the division both teams find themselves in has a lot of quality at the top end but the likes of Lincoln United, Grimsby Borough, Tadcaster and Bridlington are miles off it in terms of budget and quality. Lincoln, Bridlington and Sheffield FC were awful last season. One of them, I think it's Sheffield only stayed up because the NPL kicked Yorkshire Amateur out who finished 10th for failing to meet ground standards.

Marske and Liversidge ran away with that league last season and both went up so it should be much closer at the top. If Clee don't do it this season though, you have to wonder if they ever will. Promotion is a big step up as it would pit them against the likes of South Shields and FCUM if they stay down again. South Shields are full time but you've also got Gainsborough at that level who are kicking around the bottom end most seasons with no budget and often unable to name 5 subs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 18
forza ivano
September 18, 2022, 11:05am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,267
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I see quite a bit of that level for work, the division both teams find themselves in has a lot of quality at the top end but the likes of Lincoln United, Grimsby Borough, Tadcaster and Bridlington are miles off it in terms of budget and quality. Lincoln, Bridlington and Sheffield FC were awful last season. One of them, I think it's Sheffield only stayed up because the NPL kicked Yorkshire Amateur out who finished 10th for failing to meet ground standards.

Marske and Liversidge ran away with that league last season and both went up so it should be much closer at the top. If Clee don't do it this season though, you have to wonder if they ever will. Promotion is a big step up as it would pit them against the likes of South Shields and FCUM if they stay down again. South Shields are full time but you've also got Gainsborough at that level who are kicking around the bottom end most seasons with no budget and often unable to name 5 subs.

few names in that Grimsby Borough squad that are familiar - Jack barlow, Adan Drury, Louis Adlard. Think Bemrose was at Town as well  see they have a keepr named Musselwhite - son of Paul??

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 18
aldi_01
September 18, 2022, 11:12am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I guess teams like this always end up with the nearly men, thr never was or the wishes they were types.

Like I say, I couldn’t tell you what league they’re in, who they play or what their results are. I know Clee Town have had some serious investment and I know plenty of kids play for both town and borough which can only be a good thing.

I’ve no idea where the investment comes from, I remember when I worked in sleaford there were some unhappy fellows with Clee towns investment coming from someone local to Sleaford way on who had bypassed Sleaford Town to head for here but I didn’t really take much notice.

GTFC are my club, it just so happens that we’re a football league club. I know people Bob down and watch Clee Town and I guess families/mates of lads playing do but I don’t understand why you’d make a conscious choice to pick them. I dunno, each to their own I guess.

The community element is what interest me and if they keep kids out of bother by getting them in to various levels of football that can only be a good thing.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 18
ncfc_chalky
September 18, 2022, 12:09pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +422
Gold Stars: 58
Currently Cleethorpes are 4th in the Northern Premier League  (East) and Grimsby are bottom without a point and Carlton Town are 12th,are Cleethorpes this leagues Wrexham then?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 18
dapperz fun pub
September 18, 2022, 1:33pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,021
Gold Stars: 83
Quoted from ncfc_chalky
Currently Cleethorpes are 4th in the Northern Premier League  (East) and Grimsby are bottom without a point and Carlton Town are 12th,are Cleethorpes this leagues Wrexham then?

I’m told they get a good few quid pumped in but I don’t think they are a Wrexham as you say but I’d imagine the budgets of Grimsby boro and Clee town are miles apart. I’ve been quoted a certain ex GTFC player for Clee was getting 500 a game .. how true I don’t know
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 18
Yoda
September 19, 2022, 6:43am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,189
Gold Stars: 72
Stockton have a massive budget and are the favourites to win the league, they are currently top.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 18
thornemariner
September 19, 2022, 10:28am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +665
Gold Stars: 22
I've written for the Grimsby Borough programme and preferred them to Cleethorpes Town though I take an interest in both clubs' fortunes. I watched Borough when they were three levels lower and playing at the College's ground on Hereford Avenue. I'd go down after a Town game that had kicked off early.

They then had to move to Brigg Town and because of the facilities there were invited to join the North Counties East League where they initially struggled. There have been some very good people involved at the club and I've seen them when they play over in Yorkshire. The level they play at now is overpriced in my opinion though.

I saw Nunsthorpe FC at Appleby Frodingham in a friendly last month. Not everyone can afford to watch EFL  or PL football so it provides an opportunity for people to see a live game. They are very competitive in the Lincolnshire League and are looking at progressing on and off the field including producing a paper programme which certainly gets my vote!

My local side Club Thorne Colliery play in the Central Midlands League and I get to see them at home on Wednesdays. There is an U21 competition for this league with games played every night of the week.

I watched Harworth Colliery U21 on Thursday nights last season and they won three out of four trophies available. £2 to get in and 50p for a programme. Top scran too.

I write match reports for Club Thorne Colliery and Harworth U21 so always get a really warm welcome.

Grassroots football kept me sane between lockdowns. I got nearly forty games in during the 2020-21 season and made many new friends.

One of the best games I saw last season was Barton Town v Garforth Town in the NCEL Cup Final at the Keepmoat. Barton won 3 2 AET. The quality was very good and judging by the songs, there are plenty of Barton fans going to Town games! Cracking atmosphere.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 18
Lincoln Mariner 56
September 19, 2022, 12:07pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,765
Gold Stars: 81
Similarly me and the lad go watch Lincoln United when not watching town. Firstly, because we love watching football at any level, including our village’s Sunday league team, and secondly because I meet guys I played with and against many years ago and get the chance to reminisce and tell ourselves what great players we used to be.

When you stop playing and managing clubs it leaves a massive gap in your life and going down to watch local teams helps fill that void, well it does for me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 18
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Grimsby Borough FC...

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.