5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
TonySmith
September 7, 2022, 3:38pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +968
Gold Stars: 11
Well he did merely win the Champions League 15 months ago and the World Club Championship 9 months ago! What a loser! Utter insanity!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 42
Garth
September 7, 2022, 4:15pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from Son of Cod
Ridiculous sacking. Dinamo Zagreb aren't even that weak a side. It's not like they've been done by a tiny minnow who has snuck in thanks to some miraculous qualifying campaign.

At the risk of tempting fate, I think we're pretty solid with regards to Hurst for now at least. I think he buys into the philosophy of JS, AP, Debbie, et al. We've spoken before on these pages about how Hurst is in some kind of zenlike state in comparison to his previous time at Town. His relationship with us and the local media and more than likely the old regime wasn't particularly healthy before. I think now though, he might well have a greater appreciation of us as fans (with all due respect, we're supported better than both Shrewsbury and Scunny even at lower levels) and he seems relaxed every time he's interviewed. He's been unfairly axed at Ipswich and Scunny and had to deal with Fenty before that so I think the being back at a club (after Shrewsbury) that gives him the freedom, time and tools to build what he wants is a massive draw for him. He's been burnt before, so he'll be wary of jumping ship. However, on the other hand he is extremely ambitious and no doubt wants the fair crack at the second tier that he never got at Ipswich. The difference between then and now though was that he knew his Shrewsbury side was going to get picked apart and that repeating what he had just done in L1 was going to be tough. I think he'll genuinely be hoping to get Town promoted this season or next. That's not to say I think we're good enough to go up this year by the way...however, I didn't think we were good enough to go up last year until Luke Waterfall put a 119th minute header past into the back of the Wrexham net so what do I know.

Without knowing too much about Nathan Jones, you could probably say the same about him too. He's back at Luton after being burnt by a bigger club. Would he jump at the first opportunity again?

Probably yes, money talks and Hurst won't do himself any harm switching clubs, anyone who thinks differently is kidding themselves and is naive
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 42
TownSNAFU5
September 7, 2022, 4:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,894
Gold Stars: 42
According to some football people on talkSPORT who have links to Chelsea, there was a lot more gong on behind the scenes. The timing was a surprise but not the sacking itself.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 42
Son of Cod
September 7, 2022, 4:27pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from Garth

Hurst won't do himself any harm switching clubs

He had to take two terrible jobs two levels lower than he'd previously been at as a result of his switch to Ipswich.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 42
Poojah
September 7, 2022, 4:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,669
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from Garth

Probably yes, money talks and Hurst won't do himself any harm switching clubs, anyone who thinks differently is kidding themselves and is naive

I agree, but it would take something a lot juicier than it did in 2016. He ain’t leaving for a club bottom of League One this time around, that’s for sure - if you listen to his post-Newport interview he is fully aware that this is a good place to be right now.

Realistically, you’re looking a small number of clubs in the Championship who might be interested if a vacancy arose (Luton and Rotherham probably the two standouts) and one of the bigger clubs in League One, particularly if more geographically convenient, Wednesday being the most obvious one (I think Hurst is a Wendy, despite his career at Rotherham).

I think the risk of us losing him is small, and much less than it was 6 years ago, but it’s not non-existant.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 42
Maringer
September 7, 2022, 6:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,646
Gold Stars: 189
Don't cry for Tommy Tuchel. He's taken the petrodollar at his last two clubs and will have earned an absolute fortune, even by being sacked at both. He'll soon be back in a top level job somewhere. Possibly Italy?

Looks a bit of a tense guy to me. He ought to go and sit on a nice beach somewhere for six months, sipping Pina Coladas to wind down.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 42
DaleH
September 7, 2022, 6:49pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +816
Gold Stars: 168
Madness. The bonkers world of football business .

Time to resurrect my Fishy signature again. So here goes.

"BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 42
louth_in_the_south
September 7, 2022, 6:50pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,704
Gold Stars: 96
I know the feeling. But not the prospect of being able to .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 42
RonMariner
September 7, 2022, 7:22pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,798
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from TonySmith
Well he did merely win the Champions League 15 months ago and the World Club Championship 9 months ago! What a loser! Utter insanity!

Yes, but he lost 2 games this season so obviously had to go…..

Crazy. I wonder what his severance package is. More than our budget for the next five years I’d imagine.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 42
ginnywings
September 7, 2022, 7:42pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Poojah

I agree, but it would take something a lot juicier than it did in 2016. He ain’t leaving for a club bottom of League One this time around, that’s for sure - if you listen to his post-Newport interview he is fully aware that this is a good place to be right now.

Realistically, you’re looking a small number of clubs in the Championship who might be interested if a vacancy arose (Luton and Rotherham probably the two standouts) and one of the bigger clubs in League One, particularly if more geographically convenient, Wednesday being the most obvious one (I think Hurst is a Wendy, despite his career at Rotherham).

I think the risk of us losing him is small, and much less than it was 6 years ago, but it’s not non-existant.

9 months ago, most Town fans would have gladly helped PH pack his bags and driven him to anywhere he chose.

The fickle world of football,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 42
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Thomas Tuchel

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.