2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Stew0_0
September 5, 2022, 9:52pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,188
Gold Stars: 35
Wanted to gauge everyone's opinions on the 2 squads and I'm starting with these opinions ....

Goalkeepers.
Probably last season's duo or Crocombe and McKeown edge our 2 keepers this term. However, Crocombe seems to have grown as a keeper in the summer. Obviously with the help of Croudsen, he's making better decisions, commanding his box better and has improved his shot stopping. His distribution. Has never been in doubt as the pass to Taylor Vs Wrexham proved last season.

Defence
Not too much change here except left back. Glennon is way and above this level and with the improving Efete we surely have 2 of the best full backs in the league. Maher looks a good solid addition which puts Pearson further down the pecking order but the waterfall/Smith partnership continues to blossom and up to now we are pretty solid at the back.

Midfield.
This is the area I had the most fear about as I was a massive fan of Fox's workrate and engine but in Morris , Hunt and Greene we've replaced and surpassed last year's engine room. Add to that Kiernan is a huge improvement on Sousa. Wearne and Simmonds look handy and Clifton's carried on from where he left off. Khan will be like a new signing again when he returns and has great ability. All's looking good.

Attack
McAtee is obviously a huge loss for the team but we've improved no end up front with our recruitment. Mani, Lenny, Abraham's and Adlard have been replaced by Orsi who I think will prove to be a handy addition, Richardson, an England under 19 international with great pedigree and ability to cover mcatees number 10 spot till his return shows plenty of improvement on last term.

Tactics and formation

The new players have brought a greater flexibility to the squad with a 2 and a 3 already deployed in the middle of the park. Hurst also seems to be enjoying sending the team out with freedom to play, with no fear of the opponent and seemingly less pressure. Meaning the players are playing with a smile on their faces, the backing of our great fans and giving a hostile reception for any opponents home and away.

Leadership
Finally a mention to Stockwood, Pettit and Cook who continue to live up to promises with continued financial backing, club improvement, better facilities and matchday experience for the fans and the club are a gulf away from where we were under the last regime.

I for one am getting excited and impatient for each game to come so I can cheer on my beloved Mariners.
Logged Offline
Private Message
GrimExile
September 5, 2022, 10:58pm
Live in Bucks born and bred in Grimsby.
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,280
Gold Stars: 36
Fantastic post Stew. 👏👏👏👏👏👏
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 15
blackandwhitelaces
September 6, 2022, 5:16am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +152
Post of the week already

made in cleethorpes
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 15
Mariner93er
September 6, 2022, 8:56am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,736
Gold Stars: 28
Great post. I think Holohan deserves a mention too. I and I bet many other didn't expect him to be a first choice before the season, but he's been brilliant so far and really stepped up to the mark and brings more to the team than he did last season (when he was already very good).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 15
Rick12
September 6, 2022, 8:58am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Mariner93er
Great post. I think Holohan deserves a mention too. I and I bet many other didn't expect him to be a first choice before the season, but he's been brilliant so far and really stepped up to the mark and brings more to the team than he did last season (when he was already very good).
Yes I liked the look of him as a footballer technically when I saw him against Sutton recently .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 15
RonMariner
September 6, 2022, 9:58am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,798
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Rick12
Yes I liked the look of him as a footballer technically when I saw him against Sutton recently .

Indeed, and ‘footballer’ being the operative word. He, Morris, and now Hunt also, are all players that can read the game well and pick out a telling pass. I can’t remember when we last had three players of this calibre in midfield at the same time. Plus Smith is adept at playing the ball out of defence. All in all we now have the players to play a passing game, on the deck, in a manner not seen since the heady days of Sir Alan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 15
TownSNAFU5
September 6, 2022, 12:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,894
Gold Stars: 42
At the end of last season you would be pessimistic if you knew that we would or could lose 4 of our best players:

McTee:
Injured and sold (although loaned back, after excellent negotiations).

Fox:
Sold and then injured (He had a very good offer)

Smith:
Returning to Hull.(He was loaned back for another season, we had helped his development)

Clifton:
Possibly sold to FGR (an offer hard to refuse as from a club 2 divisions higher)

We could easily have ended up struggling at the bottom of the table.  He decided to stay.

The fans did not know that players would generally work out ok.  They did not know what new (good) players would come in.    They had faith in the Club, Paul Hurst and his ability to get the right players in.  And keep many of the key players.

The record number of STHs (many new) is testimony to the new-found optimism as to where the Club is going.  They want in.  This is perhaps the greatest change on last season.  People voting with their feet (ok seats) during difficult economic times.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 15
1mickylyons
September 6, 2022, 12:28pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,389
Gold Stars: 56
Am I the only one who thinks Efete has been struggling with his form in particular his attacking/crossing?
I really like the player but personally feel he's not yet at his best.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 15
Rick12
September 6, 2022, 12:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from RonMariner

Indeed, and ‘footballer’ being the operative word. .
Worked hard as well when I saw him which was another added bonus Ron.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 15
toontown
September 6, 2022, 12:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from 1mickylyons
Am I the only one who thinks Efete has been struggling with his form in particular his attacking/crossing?
I really like the player but personally feel he's not yet at his best.

He's always struggled with his crossing in my opinion, not a strong part of his game or something you see him do very often he prefers to pass to someone else to cross it.

I do think that he seems less confident of attacking than he should be, I thought that last season though. I think he might do better simply with more self belief.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 15
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › GTFC last season Vs this season

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.