This thread currently has 8,254 views. Print
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
September 3, 2022, 7:30pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,086
Gold Stars: 200

Was happy with consolidation before the season started but after what I've seen so far I see no reason why we can't make the play-offs.

One point outside the play-offs with a game in hand as it stands.

Hurst really has got us working as a unit and we are only going to get better.

Consolidation would still be good though IMO.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
lukeo
September 3, 2022, 7:32pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,396
Gold Stars: 149
Automatic promotion. Although I'd like another weekend in London following town  

All joking aside I stick with what I've always said. If we're within touching distance of the play offs with a couple of game remaining it's been a good season... But... I do have a funny (good) feeling about this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 57
jamesgtfc
September 3, 2022, 7:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
I want to not be looking over our shoulders. I would like to get to the end of the season with an effective alternative to the departing McAtee rather than relying on that person coming in next summer.

Discipline, team spirit and a will to win means anything is possible.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 57
Lost in Lincoln
September 3, 2022, 7:42pm
Formerly siy2k5
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +388
Gold Stars: 7
On today's performance we look a really good, well drilled side.

There were a couple of iffy moments, of our own making, but other than that we were ever in trouble.

We should easily be top half and with a good shot at better IMHO.

First game: 7/5/88 Aldershot (h) 1-1 (R)
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 3 - 57
chaos33
September 3, 2022, 7:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,981
Gold Stars: 361
In the simplest terms - haven’t really changed my ‘expectations’. This is a tough league. More competitive than some might think. I want us to establish ourselves and be competitive. If we can build a play off campaign this season, that’d be great. That’s a hope, not an expectation. With these owners and management team it’s clear we will be constantly looking to evolve and improve. So long as the team give their all, and the staff strive for high standards I’ll be happy. And I am.
It’s brilliant - the values and ethos in this club. So much more aspirational, strategic, informed etc than the previous regime.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 57
Brazilnut
September 3, 2022, 8:17pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +979
Gold Stars: 30
Just remember last season we started great....all good unbeatable even if we drew some ....same this season ....Will the bottom fall out our world like it did last year ....could make a big difference  them 2 to 2 1/2 months we was shite to where we end up

<*(((><

Town have given me some of my highest highs and my lowest lows ........ God it is like a marriage
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 57
MaccasBoots
September 3, 2022, 8:17pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Approval: +695
Gold Stars: 23
It's a very tough league but have to say we've looked great especially in the more recent fixtures, and I think the players who came through the door on deadline day will massively help us. I will be happy with anything that isn't relegation, but I truly believe we have a decent shot at play offs
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 57
September 3, 2022, 8:20pm
Guest User
I think last years outlook is the best way forward. Emphasis on optimism rather than expectation.
Reply: 7 - 57
ncfc_chalky
September 3, 2022, 8:42pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Approval: +422
Gold Stars: 58
I don't normally bother with any league except the one that Notts are in but I took a wander over to League Two and was pleasantly surprised to see Grimsby just outside the playoffs,that's a fantastic start to the season and looks like you've started where you left off last season, there's a long way to go yet of course but as long as you stop in the league come May then I would see it as a success... But there's nothing wrong with eyeing up a playoff place though
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 57
Poojah
September 3, 2022, 8:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,669
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from ncfc_chalky
I don't normally bother with any league except the one that Notts are in but I took a wander over to League Two and was pleasantly surprised to see Grimsby just outside the playoffs,that's a fantastic start to the season and looks like you've started where you left off last season, there's a long way to go yet of course but as long as you stop in the league come May then I would see it as a success... But there's nothing wrong with eyeing up a playoff place though

Stick double figures past Scunny and you can have a biscuit.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 57
Mariner_09
September 3, 2022, 8:47pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from Brazilnut
Just remember last season we started great....all good unbeatable even if we drew some ....same this season ....Will the bottom fall out our world like it did last year ....could make a big difference  them 2 to 2 1/2 months we was shite to where we end up

I can’t see it. Until extra time in the playoffs we were essentially a one man team last season. Of that rubbish run (2 wins in 14 in all competitions) had McAtee unavailable for 10 of them. We were better from when he got injured at King’s Lynn but still chucked in some rubbish results at Barnet and home to Maidenhead. This season, Hursty has successfully upgraded the rest of the squad so we’re not even remotely reliant upon him, the only game we’ve lost was the one he played in. The only positions we’re exposed to an injury is GK and ST. We don’t have a natural replacement for Taylor and I dare say Battersby isn’t ready for a run as a L2 keeper yet. There will of course be a dodgy run somewhere and players will lose form and get injured or suspended but we’re better equipped to deal with those this season.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 57
ncfc_chalky
September 3, 2022, 8:56pm
Beer Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

Stick double figures past Scunny and you can have a biscuit.

Notts have a nasty habit of flipping it up against bottom clubs,it wouldn't surprise me one bit if we lost to them tbh
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 57
Poojah
September 3, 2022, 9:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ncfc_chalky

Notts have a nasty habit of flipping it up against bottom clubs,it wouldn't surprise me one bit if we lost to them tbh

It would me, mate, they are absolutely shíte. Like Dover on ketamine.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 57
MuddyWaters
September 3, 2022, 9:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from jamesgtfc
I want to not be looking over our shoulders. I would like to get to the end of the season with an effective alternative to the departing McAtee rather than relying on that person coming in next summer.

Discipline, team spirit and a will to win means anything is possible.

Worth remembering that we’re 5 unbeaten without McAtee. We couldn’t manage without him last year.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 57
TAGG
September 3, 2022, 9:11pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,939
Gold Stars: 126
Put money on Town at the start of the season for automatic promotion and still think the same.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 57
ncfc_chalky
September 3, 2022, 9:14pm
Beer Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

It would me, mate, they are absolutely shíte. Like Dover on ketamine.

Every dog has its day though Poojar and it's usually against Notts,if the game is on TV then it's a recipe for disaster (TBF that's unlikely though )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 57
Poojah
September 3, 2022, 9:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ncfc_chalky

Every dog has its day though Poojar and it's usually against Notts,if the game is on TV then it's a recipe for disaster (TBF that's unlikely though )

The dog is dead.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 57
promotion plaice
September 3, 2022, 9:19pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,086
Gold Stars: 200
Quoted from ncfc_chalky

Three horse race this season between Wrexham, County and Chesterfield  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 57
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
September 3, 2022, 9:30pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.85
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,831
Gold Stars: 555
In an alternate universe, Rochdale take their chances (I know there is some conjecture about the number of chances but being there, sat whimpering behind Stevie Crowdson, it felt like a mauling without the kill for 30/40 mins) and we’re bottom after 3 matches with one point.

The Sutton bore draw still follows (we could have played each other until Windrush Britons receive their compensation…and it would still be 0-0) The Fishy, Denni and the fans get restless and we then lose expectedly at Walsall and Newport.

So…enjoy where we currently are. We can push on but if we don’t I won’t cry into my haddocky scraps (I still think we’ll finish lower mid-table but I’m a happy chappy).

We have incredible fans for a town(s) of our size, a great management team and promising owners.

Hurst has a squad that appear to have more technical ability and tactical flexibility than two days ago. If we maintain the incredible work ethic and attitude of the promotion squad then we may make the playoffs.

All I ask as a fan is a management team, players and squad who try their best [snowflake]. For the past 18 months I’ve had that.

Shaun Pearson didn’t even make the squad today but I bet he was spinning his salty, stiff sail like Waltham Windmill both pre and post match.

Team spirit will only get you so far but it goes a hell of a long way at this level.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 57
ncfc_chalky
September 3, 2022, 9:35pm
Beer Drinker
Quoted from promotion plaice

Only two go up though and there's always a suprise package in the playoffs 😏
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 57
RonMariner
September 3, 2022, 9:43pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,797
Gold Stars: 226
It’s incredible to think how far we have come in 20 months.  In January 2021 we were the worst team in the EFL and couldn’t beat an egg.

Look at us now. Amazing, just amazing. I wonder sometimes if this is a dream and I am about to wake up,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 57
LondonMariner43
September 3, 2022, 9:54pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,978
Gold Stars: 64
I was thinking today that 11 points from 6 means we only need another 30 or so from 40 games to stay up.   If we are on 20 points with 30 games to go, I’ll be pretty happy.  

First goal is to stay up.

Second goal is to finish higher than we have for however any years (14th?)

Top half is great.

Play offs would be amazing.

Promotion is dreamland and at the moment we can dream but there is a very long way to go.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 57
HertsGTFC
September 3, 2022, 10:03pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Did I expect us to be competitive? Yes but I thought it would start to look that way after Christmas and not this early.

On and off the pitch we’re further on than I expected and light years away from what we’d been conditioned to put up with in the last decade before the arrival of AP, JS, DC and the return of PH.

The squad is deep, strong, as one and confident with 2 of our best players in McAtee and Scanz set to return close to Christmas.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 57
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
September 3, 2022, 10:28pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,698
Gold Stars: 72
Im confident of top half now, weve played a range of teams that span the entire division including the top and the bottom team. I think to be where we are in the table with a game in hand, despite the team still gelling and today being the first time weve really played well for the whole 90 minutes (in the league). I think even with some injuries and no one particularly excelling goalscoring wise top half would still be possible from this well drilled hard working side. But if some players do excell and mcatee comes back in great form then playoffs is on the cards. The times were weve been frustrated in games has been down to our own play, and were consistantly outpassing and out working every team. Were having majority of possession and completing more passes away from home. Even in that first half against wycombe we had 60% possession. It bodes really well imo
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 57
Poojah
September 3, 2022, 10:43pm
Vodka Drinker
9th in the league with a game in hand and unbeaten in 5; all without a forward scoring a goal. We have the joint best defensive record in the league along with top of the table Leyton Orient - if we can start converting more in the attacking third we are going to be a force to be reckoned with.

Having only scored 6 goals I wanted to see where that put us versus the rest of the division, and whilst it’s the joint lowest in the top 18 it’s nothing on Gillingham. They’ve scored 1 and conceded 8 in 7 games, yet somehow accrued 5 points so far. They must be an absolute joy to watch.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 57
MarinerDevil
September 3, 2022, 10:57pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,779
Gold Stars: 80
Avoiding a relegation fight is always the first priority and I'm very confident now that there's going to be at least 2 teams worse than us, which means we can actually enjoy a season in L2 for once. I think we'll probably carve out a comfortable mid-table position for ourselves until Christmas. After that, with our best player back, I really think we can challenge for the play-offs. Exciting times.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 57
grimps
September 3, 2022, 11:27pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,136
Gold Stars: 46
To be honest we’re doing as well as I expected , I think there’s still this dark cloud hanging over a lot of our fans that’s just doesn’t quite believe.
We’ll be play offs or there abouts this season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 57
Swansea_Mariner
September 3, 2022, 11:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,468
Gold Stars: 63
All things point positive, and with it comes the possible. I think we'll do well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 57
Boonsy
September 3, 2022, 11:33pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +61
Gold Stars: 2
Woa... slow down... consolidation in the football league is the best goal Grimsby will score this and likely next season..  be happy with that and take time to build a strong foundation and an academy that can spew potential.. all is well now however the downturn will come and it’s then that your core, mature and experience will drive the club on.. despite those that will call for your managers head!  Liverpool lad here btw.. caught Grimsby matches in play offs and said ide keep an eye.. you are my secret affair, but keep it real.. I hear your support is best in league, keep it that way, I speak from knowing the passion of the players starts and ends with passion of the terraces..  cheers
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 57
Abdul19
September 4, 2022, 12:08am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,576
Gold Stars: 218
I think that come the run in, we'll be in with a shot of the playoffs

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 57
MrThirsty
September 4, 2022, 1:15am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +236
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from promotion plaice

I wouldn’t write off Solihull just yet

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 57
lukeo
September 4, 2022, 4:21am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,396
Gold Stars: 149
Quoted from TAGG
Put money on Town at the start of the season for automatic promotion and still think the same.

I have us for promotion in my lucky 15 alongside sheff Wednesday, Norwich and Wrexham.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 57
DB
September 4, 2022, 5:53am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
I haven't changed my expectations since 5th June. Two words "Going UP".

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 57
fishcake63
September 4, 2022, 7:37am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
We have nothing to fear but i'm not getting carried away just yet if we finish top 12 i'll be over the moon if we make play offs i'll give paul hurst manager of year
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 57
gtfc98
September 4, 2022, 7:48am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,061
Gold Stars: 68
Expectations at the start of the season were really just to stay up and not get dragged into a relegation fight if we can help it. I'd like to think we can look up rather than over our shoulder now, but it's still very early days and we could have easily been 3-0 down at Rochdale who still haven't picked up a win. Watched their highlights earlier and Quigley looked a real handful, scored 2 and assisted the other.

As a lot of others have said, anything over 14th is a good season.

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 57
September 4, 2022, 9:48am
Guest User
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Worth remembering that we’re 5 unbeaten without McAtee. We couldn’t manage without him last year.

The thing is, come next season he won't be here, and I'm guessing that Smith won't be here also, It's highly probable that Taylor and Pearson won't make the squad next season too, so could it be possible that we will be looking to replace them in the January window?

Reply: 35 - 57
exiledmeggie
September 4, 2022, 9:59am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +1 / -6
Approval: -227
Gold Stars: 19
Is it time to think about putting some ice on the Champagne?

Living in Exile since 1980, but still have Black and White blood!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 57
Oggyfish
September 4, 2022, 11:39am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: +41
Based on last season and replacing Scunny, I'd just be happy to take Lincolns place this season and Hulls the following season. 😁UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 57
DB
September 4, 2022, 12:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from 123614

The thing is, come next season he won't be here, and I'm guessing that Smith won't be here also, It's highly probable that Taylor and Pearson won't make the squad next season too, so could it be possible that we will be looking to replace them in the January window?

Being positive and optimistic we might need to replace other players who aren't League 1 quality when we get promoted. While the squad is more than adequate for the challenge this year I wonder if some are up to League 1 standards. There is a large gap between NL and League 1 so I hope most of the squad are up to it.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 57
TheRealJohnLewis
September 4, 2022, 12:26pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
I initially expected us to start strongly as the short closed season will have kept our fitness levels up, with very little time to get unfit, along with the momentum from the end of last season and the club still being on a high. I then thought we would tail off towards the end of the season as fatigue and injuries set in, due to the short pre-season.

With the excellent additions to the squad this season, and now having a deep squad with plenty of cover in most areas, I don't see why this momentum can't continue to the end of the season and fatigue shouldn't be a problem now. My expectations have increased from a mid-table finish to a play-off push.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 57
ginnywings
September 4, 2022, 6:56pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
In a similar thread before the season started, I said I couldn't see why we can't be top ten and pushing for a play off spot. This is not an expectation on my part at all, but we have the backing from the fans and the board, and most importantly, we have an excellent management team, supplemented by a much improved back room staff.

PH has got to 6 play off finals in his career, including Shrewsbury, who he took from the bottom of league 1 to the top of the league in a year, before just missing out on an automatic spot. They were favourites for relegation in his second season there, just like some pundits think of our chances this season. They are about comparable to us in terms of supporter numbers, albeit playing a division higher.

When he left us to go to the Shrews, we were near the play off spots in league 2 with what I consider to be an inferior team to the one we now have.

I think the worst we will do is mid table.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 57
acko338
September 4, 2022, 7:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,230
Gold Stars: 33
There is a far more professional management and backroom set up now, which will be added to, once the new training ground is finalised and in full use.

I hope that with all these new things in place  that potential new players on the next transfer wanted list will be less likely to kick us into touch on location grounds.

Longer contracts for players on the A list wll also give more settlement to players with families.

Would purchasing or renting a couple of good quality local properties for single players be cheaper and more home like for new additions on their first arrivals?

Perhaps a housekeeper in place for the weekly laundry and shopping needed to keep young and / or new players on board, and away from attractions that would stop them concentrating on their games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 57
HerveJosse
September 4, 2022, 8:17pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.88
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,217
Gold Stars: 144
4 of next 5 at home. Ask again after that
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 57
FPVmariner
September 4, 2022, 8:23pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +337
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from ginnywings
In a similar thread before the season started, I said I couldn't see why we can't be top ten and pushing for a play off spot. This is not an expectation on my part at all, but we have the backing from the fans and the board, and most importantly, we have an excellent management team, supplemented by a much improved back room staff.

PH has got to 6 play off finals in his career, including Shrewsbury, who he took from the bottom of league 1 to the top of the league in a year, before just missing out on an automatic spot. They were favourites for relegation in his second season there, just like some pundits think of our chances this season. They are about comparable to us in terms of supporter numbers, albeit playing a division higher.

When he left us to go to the Shrews, we were near the play off spots in league 2 with what I consider to be an inferior team to the one we now have.

All of this plus no dirty black cloud.
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 57
Poojah
September 4, 2022, 8:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

After 6 games, we have 5 more points (45%) than that 2016 side did. Another 40 to go in the league of course, but all the signs are that our current crop are superior to 6 years ago.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 57
Mariner_09
September 4, 2022, 9:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
I was actually doing a comparison in my head earlier on of the 2016/17 team to this one.

That teams was something like:

McKeown
Davies       Gowling        Collins      Andrew
Chambers Summerfield Comley     Berrett
                  Bogle            Jackson

Pearson, Bolarinwa and Vernon also played a good bit.

Apart from 2016 Omar, can you honesty say anyone else walks into our current team? There’s just about a case for Andrew and Davies to be made, but they aren’t givens. If Omar had stayed until the end of the season, we’d probably have ended up on the fringes of the playoffs, if not in them. Having said that, I genuinely think promotion is a realistic ambition. I have said on numerous occasions how our extra fitness, belief and set piece delivery (especially now we have Hunt), plus throw in a deep squad with options to change it from the bench when it’s not working, will make the difference in plenty of games given how close games seem to usually be at this level.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 57
forza ivano
September 4, 2022, 9:17pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,269
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from DB

Being positive and optimistic we might need to replace other players who aren't League 1 quality when we get promoted. While the squad is more than adequate for the challenge this year I wonder if some are up to League 1 standards. There is a large gap between NL and League 1 so I hope most of the squad are up to it.

good point Think it was Jason who said that if you want to be promoted to league 1 we need to recruit, or have players in your team, who are capable of playing league 1, whilst still being a league 2 team.
Think you've probably got that in Morris, Glennon & Smith (& Clifton given that FGR were keen on signing him) plus the injured McAtee & Scannell.
we will know about Orsi, Efete & Crocombe in the next 6 months!

on the fitness/tiredness comment , given the short ore season, thank god we've got the strength and conditioning coaches and the analysts to pick up on that sort of thing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 57
RonMariner
September 4, 2022, 9:49pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,797
Gold Stars: 226
Under the old regime everything the club did was amateur with a capital A. That included training facilities and methods. Now we seem to have invested in professional coaching resources in depth, so we have excellent off field backup in terms of fitness and preparation. The way we got Holohan and MacAtee fit for the Wrexham game five days after they could barely walk off the pitch at Notts County in the playoffs is testament to how well it is working backstage.

At Walsall  though we looked so much fitter than the opposition in the last quarter of an hour. It explains why we score so many late goals.

Added to that the quality of players in the squad now is the best I can remember since the team we had when we were last in the Championship.

To be just outside the playoff after a pretty tough set of opening fixtures, having played a game less than everyone above us and having played only two home games is incredible.

Three away wins on the bounce. Make no mistake, we are a handful in this division, and will only get stronger when MacAtee and Scannell return and Orsi, Kahn, and Maher are fully fit.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 57
Abdul19
September 4, 2022, 11:01pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,576
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Mariner_09

And some people moan about Clifton playing on the left!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 57
hheh2
September 5, 2022, 12:09am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +759
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from Mariner_09
I was actually doing a comparison in my head earlier on of the 2016/17 team to this one.

That teams was something like:

McKeown
Davies       Gowling        Collins      Andrew
                  Bogle            Jackson

Pearson, Bolarinwa and Vernon also played a good bit.

Apart from 2016 Omar, can you honesty say anyone else walks into our current team? There’s just about a case for Andrew and Davies to be made, but they aren’t givens. If Omar had stayed until the end of the season, we’d probably have ended up on the fringes of the playoffs, if not in them. Having said that, I genuinely think promotion is a realistic ambition. I have said on numerous occasions how our extra fitness, belief and set piece delivery (especially now we have Hunt), plus throw in a deep squad with options to change it from the bench when it’s not working, will make the difference in plenty of games given how close games seem to usually be at this level.

Jackson

Poojah's fishy
[img]https://image.ibb.co/dgpebm/Dascyllus_melanurus_1.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 57
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
September 5, 2022, 12:45am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,698
Gold Stars: 72
Quoted from hheh2

Jackson

To extend on that what about signings made in that entire league 2 stint
Dembele
Dean henderson
Sam jones? Though hes done NOTHING since us
Hessenthaler was pretty good, but did he just look better in a worse team, still only playing in league 2
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 57
kyan_goodrich04
September 5, 2022, 1:46am

Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +0 / -3
Approval: -238
Gold Stars: 5
DEAR COMRADES! I had a death scare last saturday when my heart started stopping in its THUM DUM RUM!

Do not fear for I am still kicking AT 98!! 🤯🏍🛺

spoken by a true gimsbosian

Attachment: download1_6636.jpg
Size: 3.35 KB

free the fife from here they chains!!!! rally the troops from the muck!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 57
aldi_01
September 5, 2022, 7:34am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Whilst expectations have to be realistic and there’s no point getting carried away, at present we look a good, we’ll organised, hardworking side that has an ability to grind out results.

We’ve a handful of home games coming up which could be a good measure of where we are and where we’re going.

I’ve no doubt that at the back of everyone’s mind, the plan was to stay up and consolidate but what we do know is that the club isn’t sponsored by failure anymore. We aren’t happy with
Mediocrity or failure as s celebration, if we see an opportunity I’ve no doubt we’ll take it and go for it.

On a side note, other than Bogle, I’m not sure I’d have any kf the 2016 anywhere near this side. That’s said, I don’t blame them or Hurst, namely the lack of ambition and once again, it highlights the state of the club that it didn’t bust a gut to keep that team together for at least 6 months.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 57
Mariner93er
September 5, 2022, 7:46am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,736
Gold Stars: 28
I get the impression Hurst is more concerned about looking up than over his shoulder.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 57
buckstown
September 5, 2022, 11:16am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,187
Gold Stars: 79
I think upper mid table looks right, especially with the defence looking tight. We'll need to start scoring more to get into the play offs, so hoping Richardson proves to be the missing link
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 57
lew chaterleys lover
September 5, 2022, 11:44am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from buckstown
I think upper mid table looks right, especially with the defence looking tight. We'll need to start scoring more to get into the play offs, so hoping Richardson proves to be the missing link

If we win our home game in hand we will already be in the playoff positions, so if we start scoring more goals and Richardson is indeed the catalyst then we should be looking for top 3 shouldn't we?
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 57
Mayaman
September 5, 2022, 12:12pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,421
Gold Stars: 74
Didn't we think we started off well footiewise but we managed to get a result.  That's the sign of a good team.  PH has done some good recruiting of late and you could see a vast improvement going forward already.  Play off place , I reckon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 57
Corkyefes
September 5, 2022, 12:47pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: -140
Gold Stars: 10
Before the start of the season, I would of been happy to take a mid table finish for our first season back, however looking at our recent performances, there's no reason now why we cant aim for a play off place.

If we can try and reduce the amount of silly mistakes we are making, which admittedly is difficult, then we certainly can make some noises.

Hopefully either Richardson, Orsi or Pepple find their shooting boots and really give us a chance, but in all honesty, I would be more than happy for 3-4 players to chip in with 10+ goals each!

As much as we want to see McAtee back in the team, I'm hopeful that when he is ready, he finds it difficult to get back into the starting 11, as this means we are on the right track!
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 57
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Expectations after 6 games

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.