2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
HertsGTFC
September 3, 2022, 7:41am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
So as the window closes we now have the best squad depth we’ve had in years and though a work in progress and we’ve not seen them all the quality feels decent and we’ll be competitive I’m sure.

So here’s the thing how does Paul and his coaching team keep them all happy? When/if everyone is for a few are going to be disappointed each week not to make the match day squad.

A nice problem to have but one that does present a challenge.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
promotion plaice
September 3, 2022, 8:09am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,086
Gold Stars: 200

It's the way football works isn't it, these are professional footballers and know the score.

Work hard and do well in training and Hurst will have a decision to make.

Hurst will also rotate the squad to rest players so should be able to keep most happy.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 10
The Yard Dog
September 3, 2022, 9:14am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,514
Gold Stars: 74
Its a nice problem to have, its a squad game now, we have quality and variety across all positions and Hurst has shown that he can ring the changes to plan A,B,C when the game is not going our way, plus the desire from the players never knowing then they are beat.

I have no expectations as to were we will finish, just going to sit back and enjoy the ride.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 10
crusty ole pie
September 3, 2022, 9:19am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,384
Gold Stars: 66
And this is why the cup games now become very important a good run in the EFL Micky mouse cup gives him the perfect chance to mix and match
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 10
moosey_club
September 3, 2022, 9:20am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,294
Gold Stars: 226
Think some campers may find themselves loaned out to non league and we may yet discover that some aren't wind or waterproof and just may never be used.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 10
quebec38
September 3, 2022, 10:10am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,588
Gold Stars: 48
Strongest looking squad I can remember for approaching 20 years, at least in terms of depth but hopefully it will prove quality too.

Not sure about today but before long I can see Hunt being a nailed on starter at the base of midfield where Morris is playing at the minute.

A lot depends on Richardson for me. If he’s more of a McAtee type than a centre forward to play alongside/instead of Taylor then I guess he will start most games in the 10 role. That only leaves one slot for either Morris, Holohan or Green. Morris has been good so far but sees himself as more of an 8. Holohan has played his best stuff for Grimsby this season. Green has been ok but offers something different to the other two and I think he could compliment Hunt.

Out wide we have:
Clifton - not everyone’s cup of tea but fairly solid and Hurst likes him there.
Keirnan - looks good
Wearne - probably a squad player but a good option
Simmonds - I may be wrong in calling him a winger
JMD - class act IMO. Narrative of him being lazy etc being pushed too much at the minute. He doesn’t run around like others but then they can’t do half of the stuff he can with the ball either.
Scannell - out of action right now
Khan - see above

Some great problems to have and obviously we can rotate depending on the opposition and fitness concerns but IMO our best 11 available now is:

Max
Efete    Waterfall    Smith     Glennon
                    Hunt
Keirnan                     Morris     Clifton
             Richardson*
                         Taylor

*based on very little.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 10
moosey_club
September 3, 2022, 6:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,294
Gold Stars: 226
Given Hursts answer to the post match interview question about is he able to keep the squad happy then I definitely suspect some will be leaving shortly.  Saying that players can knock on his door and ask and that if he feels it right then he will help any player try and find a place elsewhere to help them play.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 10
ginnywings
September 3, 2022, 7:03pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
It's not unique to us is it? Most, if not all teams have way more players than can be accommodated on a match day.

It's a squad game and some will play every week, some will play a percentage and some will only play when the other options aren't available for whatever reasons.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 10
aldi_01
September 3, 2022, 7:05pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I’d imagine that whilst some will go out on loan to play a game, I’d imagine that JMD is probably the only one annoyed at his current situation, which in some ways is understandable but we all know Hurst is brutal and if he doesn’t see what he wants or needs in JMD, he won’t play.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 10
headingly_mariner
September 3, 2022, 7:53pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,391
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from aldi_01
I’d imagine that whilst some will go out on loan to play a game, I’d imagine that JMD is probably the only one annoyed at his current situation, which in some ways is understandable but we all know Hurst is brutal and if he doesn’t see what he wants or needs in JMD, he won’t play.

I don't think he will ever play for us again. He'll be out on loan by next Saturday and never return.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 10
grimps
September 4, 2022, 7:11am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,136
Gold Stars: 46
It’s hard for anyone to complain while we’re winning , every e will get their chance this season it’s just down to them to take it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 10
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Keeping All The Campers Happy

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.