Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Transfers so far.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 207 Guests

Transfers so far.

This thread currently has 5,081 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Limerick Mariner
August 27, 2022, 10:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,722
Gold Stars: 137
PH has done great business so far and would have expected to have McAtee and Orsi available at this point and had neither, despite this we have had a pretty good start. Bim did well today - he's made great progress in a short time because he looked lost v Crewe. But we need a forward, and I expect we'll get one before the deadline.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 39
sam gy
August 27, 2022, 11:27pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from denni266

Totaly agree with this  18 months or more without a main striker is a bit beyond belief realy..  Yes good strikers are not as plentyfull as other areas and cost money  but without one you will struggle as you go up the leagues . Hurst needs to start living in the real world and spend some cash because thats what it takes

Firstly, we got promoted last year and secondly, if we’d have played with this ‘main striker’ we apparently didn’t have then where would McAtee have played and would he have been as effective.

It’s 2022, football has moved on from having to have a traditional number 9 poacher in the starting line up.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 39
Norseman
August 27, 2022, 11:31pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +281
Gold Stars: 48
Yes we need a striker .But to say our recruitment has been poor is astonishing .Maher and green both in national League team of the year .Wearne looks decent,another loan for Smith .Khan looked useful in the clee town game .Morris has been great .Pepple looks useful and orsi is a wait and see .5 games in the league and we've lost 1 .UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 39
aldi_01
August 27, 2022, 11:39pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from Norseman
Yes we need a striker .But to say our recruitment has been poor is astonishing .Maher and green both in national League team of the year .Wearne looks decent,another loan for Smith .Khan looked useful in the clee town game .Morris has been great .Pepple looks useful and orsi is a wait and see .5 games in the league and we've lost 1 .UTM

The only folk saying it’s poor are either a sarnie short of a picnic or WUM…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 39
immariner
August 28, 2022, 12:52am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,414
Gold Stars: 61
This apparent need for a prolific number 9 to be successful is a fallacy. Yeah it would be nice but It's just one way to crack a nut. We literally just flipping proved there are other just as effective ways to crack a nut. As did Exeter City and Port Vale who got promoted with top scorers on 14 and 12 goals respectively.. Plus we don't know what Orsi and Khan can do. We don't have McAtee at the minute. Had the game finished against Carlisle and we snuck a 1-0 win, we'd be 7th after 6 games. Chill the intercourse out with the one track nonsense, it's boring. Have a tight defence and you're always in a game
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 39
LondonMariner43
August 28, 2022, 7:52am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,978
Gold Stars: 64
Not a signing this year but what a signing Max Crocombe had turned out to be.  I’m sure no Town fan knew anything about him before he signed and many didn’t like him replacing Macca but he is turning into one of Town’s great keepers.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 39
lukeo
August 28, 2022, 8:21am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,395
Gold Stars: 149
If we can stay within touching distance of the play offs by November / December... By then the likes of Ordi should be fit and McAtee coming back!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 39
Mariner_09
August 28, 2022, 9:15am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from LondonMariner43
Not a signing this year but what a signing Max Crocombe had turned out to be.  I’m sure no Town fan knew anything about him before he signed and many didn’t like him replacing Macca but he is turning into one of Town’s great keepers.  

His improvement over the last 6-8 months has been dramatic. He’s way way better with the ball at his feet and when crosses come into the box than Macca was ever going to be. It’s got to the stage where I have faith and confidence in him when a ball goes in. His shot stopping has been spot on too. If he carries on like this, we’ll have a problem holding onto him next season.

Regards the overriding point of this thread, there is an unhealthy obsession with a No9. We got promoted last season without one, Man City have won the league the last 2 years without one, Exeter and Vale got promoted with their top scorers having low to mid teen goals. I think our poacher is Orsi anyway, he looked lively and clever when he came on yesterday. The striker we’re going to sign will likely be a younger, fitter, more mobile version of Taylor I’m imagining, given the way we play and it being far from ideal to make Ryan play 90 mins every game.

Our recruitment this close season, although a small sample size looks very good at first glance. Morris is an excellent player. Green will be good once he’s up to speed properly. Glennon has been excellent both in open play and from dead balls. We haven’t seen Maher or Khan yet. Bim looks a lively and useful addition and Andy Smith is a cut above at this level.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 39
jamesgtfc
August 28, 2022, 9:20am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from LondonMariner43

What a gamble he took as well. He was going to Boston as their first choice keeper and at the eleventh hour we came in, doubling his money as second choice. Fast forward a year and he's our undisputed first choice. I hope he gets a call up to the New Zealand squad.

Matthew Gould (grandson of Bobby, son of Jonathan) is third choice but barely plays for Altrincham. They have another keeper Oliver Sail who plays for Wellington Phoenix over in New Zealand and then Stefan Marinovic who signed for Hapoel Tel Aviv earlier this year.

Surely he's worthy of a place in the New Zealand squad?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 39
Maringer
August 28, 2022, 1:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,646
Gold Stars: 189
I'm not sure Crocombe is the most brilliant shot-stopper, but he still does a decent job in that regard and his kicking is pretty good as well.

His best attribute is his confidence coming out to collect crosses which is a massive bonus in this division where so many teams put it into the box over and over again. Having the confidence to try and catch the ball to retain possession rather than just 'being safe' and punching it out is very helpful, especially when you're under pressure. He hasn't made too many ricks that I can remember, either.

All-round very solid-looking keeper which is all you can really hope for.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 39
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Transfers so far.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.