August 25, 2022, 1:00pm
Formerly siy2k5
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +388
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from MaccasBoots

Oh do one you prat, I was singing and shouting all game the other night and managed to avoid running on the pitch, throwing flares or using racist/abusive language. Might surprise you but it is possible to support your club with all your heart and not be a toss pot at the same time.

Sarcasm not your thing?

First game: 7/5/88 Aldershot (h) 1-1 (R)
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 30 - 34
DB
August 25, 2022, 1:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from diehardmariner
Anyway...

I'm so torn on this whole issue.   There's the purist part of me that thinks there's nothing greater than seeing fans stream on the pitch in celebration after knocking out a far bigger side or achieved some notable success.

I'll never forget the joy of being involved in this and then watching it repeatedly via VHS for many years to come as a young fan.

[youtube]Wjz1IAuWgWg[/youtube]

As much as Cockers' beating the offside trap, as much as him just bundling his way through defenders to force the ball into the net, as much as hanging on after Mark Cooper's strike went in, as much as watching in agony as Murray Jones (yes, the one and only) hit the post with a looping header....this is as much of the memory of that promotion campaign.  Sheer and utter joy and adulation.  The invasion is in the final few seconds of that clip, right at the final whistle, but go back a few seconds and you can see fans are up to the touchline all around the pitch.  

The problem, to my eyes and mind anyway, is that it's just become the norm rather than the expectation in the last 20 years.  Pitch invasions at the end of season games that have no real meaning, why?  It's not as simple as that but a pitch invasion should mean something.  

The issues at the back end of last season were a long time coming.  There's this culture of goading players and staff to get a reaction.  Andy Warhol would have been in his element observing on this moronic need for faux adulation by getting a shaky selfie as you're flicking V's behind the back of the Portsmouth physio.   It's probably because I'm old but I just don't get it.

I don't want to see the joy of celebrating success removed.  As I've got older, I'm less inclined to want to run on the pitch but I get it.  I get it completely that it's a release, no doubt adrenaline and maybe even slightly alcohol fueled, to want to celebrate that success.  But when you get tosspots like the guy who headbutted Billy Sharp getting on the pitch, what can you do?  It was fortune that Sharp wasn't more seriously injured.  But for all the condemnation from the football community, you can guarantee there will be some who saw that happen and think it was great, thinking they can do it too.   Where does it stop, at what point someone get seriously hurt or even killed because some absolute cretin gets the opportunity to do so.

Football clubs are powerless.  Unless they employ absolute shitloads of stewards, who have absolutely no real power, or bring in incredibly expensive policing support they've got no chance of keeping fans off the pitch.  If enough fans want to get onto the pitch, they'll do it.  

Society isn't helping, it's ignoring this as a problem wider than football.  Six-months in jail was what was dished out to Billy Sharp's assaulter, he's probably out now.  

Knowing that clubs can't contain wannabe pitch invaders and that there's always a loose cannon in the midst, there's only one way this is going and that's for us to be penned in behind fences again.  The writing is absolutely on the wall.

Society ignoring its responsibility when it comes towards actions at or around football grounds and then a very hard-line response....this sounds familiar doesn't it?

I enjoyed the vid and agree with your post. Your comments about the Billy Sharp incident are very poignant. The courts should down heavy on these types of people and give six years not six months. Let us not forget that it was deliberate ad wilful attack on somebody doing his job.

I did find another photo of that Exeter match

https://i2-prod.grimsbytelegra.....Exeter-City-1991.jpg

( Sorry I couldn't download the photo)

This shows exactly how a well behaved crowd celebrated the sheer jubilation of Town's victory. Tuesday night's good behaviour was another example which escaped our press. The press are quick to show bad events and can't be bothered to show good news.

It would be a good idea for the press to praise in large print the initiatives and events that are good instead of focusing on a tiny minority of bad events. But then alas as their saying goes 'Bad news sells papers, good news doesn't.

Incidentally, did you see what a full was in those days, over 14,000.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 34
jamesgtfc
August 25, 2022, 1:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from aldi_01

Whilst I agree with your first point I can pretty much guarantee that had a bloke head butted someone like that outside a pub on a Saturday night they wouldn’t have received a prison sentence u less they had priors, if they did they’d feel hard done to given the inconsistent sentencing in this country.

And therein lies another issue for me, inconsistency in policing of football. We saw countless examples of that last season. No coincidence that working with fans and clubs seems to be more effective than working in silos.

Articles like the Times/Talksport one don’t help anything and having spoken with friends who police football they tend to agree with us in that they create a hysteria that is unnecessary and actually throw them under the bus as much as fans.

I have a relative in the police and I spoke to him a couple of months ago, dropping in that I find police cause a lot of the issues at football games themselves. His response was "of course we do, it's boring otherwise."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 34
male private Nale
August 25, 2022, 1:41pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -924
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I have a relative in the police and I spoke to him a couple of months ago, dropping in that I find police cause a lot of the issues at football games themselves. His response was "of course we do, it's boring otherwise."

Back in the day, the likes of PC Seymour, the ex copper who owned the newsagents down Sea view Street and Jim Raper got as much enjoyment out of the pre and post match activities as any thug did.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 34
Posh Harry
August 25, 2022, 3:52pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,370
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from diehardmariner
Anyway...

I'm so torn on this whole issue.   There's the purist part of me that thinks there's nothing greater than seeing fans stream on the pitch in celebration after knocking out a far bigger side or achieved some notable success.

I'll never forget the joy of being involved in this and then watching it repeatedly via VHS for many years to come as a young fan.

[youtube]Wjz1IAuWgWg[/youtube]

As much as Cockers' beating the offside trap, as much as him just bundling his way through defenders to force the ball into the net, as much as hanging on after Mark Cooper's strike went in, as much as watching in agony as Murray Jones (yes, the one and only) hit the post with a looping header....this is as much of the memory of that promotion campaign.  Sheer and utter joy and adulation.  The invasion is in the final few seconds of that clip, right at the final whistle, but go back a few seconds and you can see fans are up to the touchline all around the pitch.  

The problem, to my eyes and mind anyway, is that it's just become the norm rather than the expectation in the last 20 years.  Pitch invasions at the end of season games that have no real meaning, why?  It's not as simple as that but a pitch invasion should mean something.  

The issues at the back end of last season were a long time coming.  There's this culture of goading players and staff to get a reaction.  Andy Warhol would have been in his element observing on this moronic need for faux adulation by getting a shaky selfie as you're flicking V's behind the back of the Portsmouth physio.   It's probably because I'm old but I just don't get it.

I don't want to see the joy of celebrating success removed.  As I've got older, I'm less inclined to want to run on the pitch but I get it.  I get it completely that it's a release, no doubt adrenaline and maybe even slightly alcohol fueled, to want to celebrate that success.  But when you get tosspots like the guy who headbutted Billy Sharp getting on the pitch, what can you do?  It was fortune that Sharp wasn't more seriously injured.  But for all the condemnation from the football community, you can guarantee there will be some who saw that happen and think it was great, thinking they can do it too.   Where does it stop, at what point someone get seriously hurt or even killed because some absolute cretin gets the opportunity to do so.

Football clubs are powerless.  Unless they employ absolute shitloads of stewards, who have absolutely no real power, or bring in incredibly expensive policing support they've got no chance of keeping fans off the pitch.  If enough fans want to get onto the pitch, they'll do it.  

Society isn't helping, it's ignoring this as a problem wider than football.  Six-months in jail was what was dished out to Billy Sharp's assaulter, he's probably out now.  

Knowing that clubs can't contain wannabe pitch invaders and that there's always a loose cannon in the midst, there's only one way this is going and that's for us to be penned in behind fences again.  The writing is absolutely on the wall.

Society ignoring its responsibility when it comes towards actions at or around football grounds and then a very hard-line response....this sounds familiar doesn't it?

Thanks for the highlights, brought back some great memories. Remember the pontoon being so rammed that day that when we scored you went about 10 rows forward without your feet touching the ground.

When they hit the post it was like it was slow motion with my life flashing before my eyes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 34
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Crawley Pitch Invasion

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.