4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
sam gy
August 24, 2022, 11:26am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 56
Sounds like he had a really good game last night - he's one that's gone under the radar a bit so far, but what are peoples opinions of him? Seem's to be quietly getting better and better with every game. I've only seen him at Northampton, so don't have a lot to go on.

Fair to say he's a bit of an all rounder? Good passing range, decent set pieces but also not afraid to put his foot in?

Could turn out to be a classic Hurst signing...sorta came with little fanfare, but hopefully on his way to becoming a really good player for us.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
blundellpork
August 24, 2022, 11:55am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,665
Gold Stars: 32
Whilst Green was the player Hurst has said was at the top of his list, to date, I think Morris has been the better midfielder.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 39
jimgtfc
August 24, 2022, 12:35pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,100
Gold Stars: 45
Was going to start a thread on him myself. He’s been my stand out player so far this season, and last night I’d argue he was up there as one of the best players on the pitch. Always makes himself available, calm on the ball, rarely gives it away and always looks to play forward. Looks more effective in the deeper role than the more advanced one to me.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 39
GtfcGarner
August 24, 2022, 12:39pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +30 / -14
Approval: +1,793
Gold Stars: 26
League 2 Busquets. never seems flappy when on the ball, calm and composed and can pick a short or a long pass. Always making himself available to recycle the ball. Really liked the look of him from what I've seen so far.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 39
Stew0_0
August 24, 2022, 1:06pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,188
Gold Stars: 35
I was concerned when we lost Fox in the Summer but in Greene and Morris have brought in some quality in the middle of the park. Morris has good vision and passing ability whilst also possessing a good delivery from set pieces and both he and Greene have a good engine in the centre.

Impressed so far and almost had a superb gol to his name at Rochdale, something we need add more from these areas in the absence of McAtee
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 39
Mariner93er
August 24, 2022, 2:58pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,736
Gold Stars: 28
Stood out last night. Not many league 2 footballers are comfortable receiving the ball when being pressed by a premier team, but he was. And I don't remember him misplacing a pass.

Hate to say it, and I know we need to give him time, but Green looks a shadow of the player Morris is. Technically not very good at all.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 39
diehardmariner
August 24, 2022, 3:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
I think that's harsh on Green.

Technically he's not as good as Morris.  But then I don't think Morris has the engine or tenancity to match Green either.  Different types of player altogether.  

Green has stepped up a level and has been asked to play in a slightly different role to what he was used to at Halifax.  His mistake last night was sloppy and sluggish, no escaping that.  But I think he's looked absolutely fine so far.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 39
MuddyWaters
August 24, 2022, 3:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,277
Gold Stars: 236
Both have strengths that compliment each other. Morris is technically very good, Green more of an enforcer, both excellent signings but last night’s game played more to Morris’s technical strength.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 39
Mariner93er
August 24, 2022, 3:25pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,736
Gold Stars: 28
Does Green have a good engine though? Looks knackered most of the time and think holohan and Clifton cover much more ground.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 39
diehardmariner
August 24, 2022, 3:47pm
Vodka Drinker
I'm not sure Clifton is the litmus test for fitness, he's just a freak of nature.

I'd argue over who covers more ground between Green and Holohan, instead I'll just say Green is high energy allover the park, whereas Holohan seems more focused in those central areas.  To my eyes anyway.  
He does seem to get leggy 70 minutes onwards which I think is a reflection of his style of play and perhaps he needs to conserve his energy slightly to make sure he lasts the full game.  

But, on Saturday he looked dead on his feet and he made two superb last ditch tackles late on.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 39
Maringer
August 24, 2022, 3:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,642
Gold Stars: 189
I think Hurst has mentioned that Green's fitness isn't quite where he wants it to be, in part due to the injury in pre-season?

Might play himself into fitness a bit.

I've been impressed with Morris in the two games I've seen as he's been very comfortable in possession and hasn't wasted too many passes. Looks solid in the air and in the tackle as well, so potentially a very good player for us this season, providing he can stay fit.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 39
quebec38
August 24, 2022, 4:21pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,588
Gold Stars: 48
Yep also impressed with Morris. Doesn’t stray too far from his position chasing the ball but more guards the back 4 and lets Holohan and Green do that. Drops in when a defender makes a foray forward and always shows for the ball when in possession. Has a decent range of passing too.

Interesting that he sees himself as more of an 8 and started the season alongside Holohan but now he seems to have swapped roles with Green.

Real steady signing.

I do like Green because I think he offers a physical presence and aggression but if McAtee came back tomorrow I would love to see Morris and Holohan with McAtee in front.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 39
MrThirsty
August 24, 2022, 5:55pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +236
Gold Stars: 4
Morris has certainly started impressively. He hasn’t stayed anywhere too long but was at Shrewsbury at the same time as Paul Hurst. If he continues perform at the same level as last night then I believe it would be worth looking at a longer contract.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 39
Mariner_09
August 24, 2022, 6:38pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
We have a strong group of midfielders for the first time ever by my reckoning, one of the three of them won’t be playing once McAtee comes back in, to give us an idea of how strong we are there. Morris is one of the more composed and classy players we’ve had in quite a while. He moves the ball quickly and sees passes and can execute them well, players aren’t checking their runs or having to stretch to get there most of the time. Think he’s only playing for us because of injuries in the last 2 years. I think that’s why he’s only signed a one year contract because he fancies moving back up a level after a full injury free season with us ideally.

Green is an interesting one, clearly not as much of a footballer as Morris but plays his heart out and is effective at winning the ball high up the pitch. He’s moved up a level, missed most of preseason so is probably still getting to grips with us, this league and his fitness, plus his new role. He does need to dawdle on the ball less though, he got caught last night and it could easily have happened in League games but I’m sure he’ll improve that element of his game. Plus when he’s fully fit I think he’ll be top notch.

Holohan seems a better player in the league than he did the Conference if you ask me. He seems to have really benefited from a full preseason under Hursty and this more advanced, freer role in the absence of McAtee. He tries lots of stuff and it will come off often enough to justify him doing it, he nearly scored a belter on Saturday. However, it’s his energy levels that have surprised me. Last season he was blowing after 65-70 mins most games, now he’s still charging around in stoppage time. Feel that has really unlocked him, if only JMD could do the same and we’d have a seriously good player on our hands!

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 39
ginnywings
August 24, 2022, 7:43pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Morris was excellent last night and my pick for MOM. Think he's been the best of the signings so far but it's early in the season and the others maybe need a bit more time to settle. Having played at a higher level most of his career, I think Morris is finding League 2 well within his scope and is very tidy on the ball. Wins the ball back regularly too.

Impressed so far.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 39
Davec
August 24, 2022, 7:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
I am sure there is more to come from Green once he is fully fit and settled in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 39
mariner91
August 24, 2022, 8:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,726
Gold Stars: 262
I think Morris is excellent. One of those quietly competent midfielders who does their job with minimum fuss. Very confident on the ball, positions himself really well to intercept a lot in the middle of the pitch and moves it about quickly. Couldn't ask for more. Great signing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 39
louth_in_the_south
August 24, 2022, 8:34pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,704
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Mariner93er
Stood out last night. Not many league 2 footballers are comfortable receiving the ball when being pressed by a premier team, but he was. And I don't remember him misplacing a pass.

Hate to say it, and I know we need to give him time, but Green looks a shadow of the player Morris is. Technically not very good at all.

Only just seen the highlights from the game and my immediate thought was that it was a hospital throw from cropper to green that was a gift for Forest to press , win and set up an easy finish . To throw into the centre from that distance is suicidal when playing a quality team .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 39
HertsGTFC
August 24, 2022, 8:49pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
I like Morris he can clearly play. What I liked about him Green and Gav last night was they had the confidence to try and play, can’t argue with that !

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 39
wiggers
August 24, 2022, 9:52pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Approval: +469
Gold Stars: 11
I think midfield and defence are looking really good. Looking forward to seeing Maher and Khan also. The only thing missing is a Centre Forward. If we could get a decent striker I really believe we would be in with a great shout for a top 6 finish. It’s speculate to accumulate time. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 39
easypeersy
August 24, 2022, 10:20pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +301
Gold Stars: 11
How much money was made from last night’s bumper crowd.
Surely the money made from that can be invested in a decent striker?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 39
MuddyWaters
August 24, 2022, 10:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,277
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from easypeersy

Surely we made money from promotion, season ticket sales and the sale of McAtee? There must be a decent war chest.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 39
toontown
August 24, 2022, 10:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
We only get 45% of takings minus stewarding and police costs, which would be far more than normal.

Basically the equivalent of a 4k crowd. It will help a little but nothing dramatic
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 39
jamesgtfc
August 24, 2022, 10:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from toontown
We only get 45% of takings minus stewarding and police costs, which would be far more than normal.

Basically the equivalent of a 4k crowd. It will help a little but nothing dramatic

Most of a usual home crowd has been paid for up front so 4k worth of revenue is the equivalent to us having a crowd of 9000 at a league game.

And you can't really budget for drawing a Premier League team at home so it's unbudgeted income.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 39
Mariner_09
August 24, 2022, 11:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
I’m pretty certain that the money for a striker is there. The trouble is what sort of quality that can buy. It seems everyone’s looking for a striker. You only need to look at the opposition we’ve faced so far this season for evidence. Orient had loads of play in the first 20 mins, but didn’t score despite numerous chances. They only won courtesy of a wonder goal and a dodgy pen. Rochdale, if they could finish their dinner, would’ve been out of sight within 25 mins. If Sutton had a top striker, you’d imagine they may have scored against us in the first half, although if the reverse was true we’d have scored in the second.

Given how thin on the ground they are, anyone who’s half decent is going to be charging top dollar and we’ll likely have to offer even more to get them to NE Lincs. Although people don’t want to hear it, it doesn’t matter how good the new owners are, how fantastic the culture of the club is, how tightly knitted the dressing room is, NE Lincs is still harder to sell than London, Manchester or South Yorkshire. We don’t have daft money to throw around and nor would I want us to overstretch ourselves. It’s definitely going to be easier to attract players now given those reasons listed but some fundamentals remain.

The 4-5 sides who do manage to find a striker to knit it all together will be the ones who finish right at the sharp end, as there isn’t much between the sides in this league otherwise. We just have to pray Hursty can find him and then get him. I’m pretty convinced this illusive striker isn’t a poacher either, it’s a fitter, more mobile version of Taylor who carries more of a goal threat.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 39
Nutsy
August 25, 2022, 1:17pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +157
Gold Stars: 5
I really think this midfield is head and shoulders above what we’ve had the last few years, it is worth noting that individuals have been superb (Matete and Embleton are doing well at the top end of the Championship)

I really think Morris, Holohan and obviously McAtee are L1 quality
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 39
lew chaterleys lover
August 25, 2022, 1:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Mariner_09
I’m pretty certain that the money for a striker is there. The trouble is what sort of quality that can buy. It seems everyone’s looking for a striker. You only need to look at the opposition we’ve faced so far this season for evidence. Orient had loads of play in the first 20 mins, but didn’t score despite numerous chances. They only won courtesy of a wonder goal and a dodgy pen. Rochdale, if they could finish their dinner, would’ve been out of sight within 25 mins. If Sutton had a top striker, you’d imagine they may have scored against us in the first half, although if the reverse was true we’d have scored in the second.

Given how thin on the ground they are, anyone who’s half decent is going to be charging top dollar and we’ll likely have to offer even more to get them to NE Lincs. Although people don’t want to hear it, it doesn’t matter how good the new owners are, how fantastic the culture of the club is, how tightly knitted the dressing room is, NE Lincs is still harder to sell than London, Manchester or South Yorkshire. We don’t have daft money to throw around and nor would I want us to overstretch ourselves. It’s definitely going to be easier to attract players now given those reasons listed but some fundamentals remain.

The 4-5 sides who do manage to find a striker to knit it all together will be the ones who finish right at the sharp end, as there isn’t much between the sides in this league otherwise. We just have to pray Hursty can find him and then get him. I’m pretty convinced this illusive striker isn’t a poacher either, it’s a fitter, more mobile version of Taylor who carries more of a goal threat.

If its easier to attract strikers if you are in London or big cities, how come, as you say Leyton Orient and Sutton (London) and Rochdale (near Manchester) didn't have any?

This has been debunked loads of times. Players move for all sorts of reasons including money, location, family, club reputation/manager and often move from one end of the country to another. We are no different to any other part of the country as shown by our signings so far this season who have come from Harrogate (very posh) and London (very big) amongst others. Of course some will say I am not moving to Grimsby as others might say I'm not moving to Exeter or Carlisle.

Obviously all this is predicated on the money being acceptable and I agree in a seller's market we will have to pay top dollar.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 39
male private Nale
August 25, 2022, 1:44pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -924
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from blundellpork
Whilst Green was the player Hurst has said was at the top of his list, to date, I think Morris has been the better midfielder.

Morris is the proven league player whereas Green stepping up and adjusting, I think second half of season we will see the best of Green.

If Morris can maintain his form then it bodes well for us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 39
LN8Mariner
August 25, 2022, 1:48pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +329
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from easypeersy

Back of an envelope calculation, about £58k before costs but after VAT. So roughly 20 to 25% of a Tshimanga.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 39
diehardmariner
August 25, 2022, 2:45pm
Vodka Drinker

If its easier to attract strikers if you are in London or big cities, how come, as you say Leyton Orient and Sutton (London) and Rochdale (near Manchester) didn't have any?

This has been debunked loads of times. Players move for all sorts of reasons including money, location, family, club reputation/manager and often move from one end of the country to another. We are no different to any other part of the country as shown by our signings so far this season who have come from Harrogate (very posh) and London (very big) amongst others. Of course some will say I am not moving to Grimsby as others might say I'm not moving to Exeter or Carlisle.

Obviously all this is predicated on the money being acceptable and I agree in a seller's market we will have to pay top dollar.

I wouldn't say easier or harder, just that clubs that are in or near a big city have a bigger pool to go at.  But of course there's then more clubs nearby who are scrapping for them.

In the age of short-term contracts, our previous sell of a cheaper to live area is pretty redundant as few players will up roots, instead preferring to commute.  If you're a player from anywhere west of about Brigg you've got Doncaster as a closer alternative at the same level.  If they offer the same money, they win that battle 9 times out of 10.  At the level above us you've got the likes of Barnsley who can offer a higher level of football, better pay and be closer to home.  

To the south, anyone past Caistor is within closer reach to Lincoln at a level above.   Once you got to Lincoln it's then quicker to get to Mansfield, Chesterfield, Notts County etc. and beyond.  To the North, we probably do a little better but anything that's north of Hull have other League Two clubs within closer reach of us.  

Our local pool of options is limited.  There's quite a poor local non-league infrastructure of clubs that could be seen as potential feeders into our system, getting here is a ball ache and our approach is not to just throw money at it to attract players who don't buy into the ethos of the club.  It must be a bloody hard gig getting players to come here.  Whenever we've got interest from the same level, unless we're prepared to outbid then there's not a lot we can offer extra that other clubs can.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 39
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
August 25, 2022, 3:08pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.85
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,831
Gold Stars: 555

So it hasn’t been debunked then.

We are geographically isolated and will always be at a disadvantage.

It’s not quite analogous but look at the shortage of dentists. The situation is bleak in the whole country but even worse in isolated, poorer areas such as Lincolnshire and East Yorkshire. There are more than twice as many patients per dentist in Lincs compared to more affluent areas.

[url]https://amp.theguardian.com/society/2022/aug/25/england-nhs-dentists-dental-deserts-data[/url]

There are more dentists than (football) strikers at the moment. That’s why even clubs closer to population centres are struggling for a number 9. We will have to rely on a loan, an unloved treasure or the sort of wedge that understandably we probably aren’t able or willing to pay.

Norwich City recently attempted an experiment where their academy teams consistently played 4-4-2, so that there would always be two strikers on the pitch, and a minimum number would develop in each age group. It didn’t work out, though, with one of a few reasons being that nobody now plays 4-4-2. As such, it just didn’t fit.

[url]https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-market-strikers-haaland-nunez-b2102751.html?amp[/url]

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 39
mariner91
August 25, 2022, 3:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker

It’s not quite analogous but look at the shortage of dentists. The situation is bleak in the whole country but even worse in isolated, poorer areas such as Lincolnshire and East Yorkshire. There are more than twice as many patients per dentist in Lincs compared to more affluent areas.

[url]https://amp.theguardian.com/society/2022/aug/25/england-nhs-dentists-dental-deserts-data[/url]

There are more dentists than (football) strikers at the moment. That’s why even clubs closer to population centres are struggling for a number 9. We will have to rely on a loan, an unloved treasure or the sort of wedge that understandably we probably aren’t able or willing to pay.

Norwich City recently attempted an experiment where their academy teams consistently played 4-4-2, so that there would always be two strikers on the pitch, and a minimum number would develop in each age group. It didn’t work out, though, with one of a few reasons being that nobody now plays 4-4-2. As such, it just didn’t fit.

[url]https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-market-strikers-haaland-nunez-b2102751.html?amp[/url]

Going to get worse in the short term. Lack of dentists coming from abroad and an aging workforce (particularly in Lincolnshire) leaving not many at all.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 39
diehardmariner
August 25, 2022, 4:16pm
Vodka Drinker
If you know where the net is and can distinguish between incisors and canines you can name your price!
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 39
mariner91
August 25, 2022, 5:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner
If you know where the net is and can distinguish between incisors and canines you can name your price!

You'd be a busy man in North East Lincolnshire that's for sure.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 39
lew chaterleys lover
August 25, 2022, 5:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237

Players and dentists are entirely different.

We have signed thousands of players from China to Scunthorpe and all points in between.

Players do not have the choice of anywhere to go, say like a dentist who might fancy a nice place in a Cotswold town as opposed to the East Marsh.

For a start you have to consider the level he is playing at. That cuts it down to a possible 23 destinations in the country, if he wants to play in league 2. Then there is the small matter of one or more of those 23 wanting him as a player. Let us say that he is lucky and 3 clubs want him.So we have already gone from anywhere in the country like the dentist, to 3 towns. Those 3 towns, for example, are Carlise, Walsall and Grimsby. Then other factors come into play; will they match his wages? Two will, one won't. We are now down to 2 towns in the country. He may then look at the 2 teams and decide which one to join based on how the club is run, who the manager is if he knows any of the other players, what style of football they play etc. He may indeed at that point choose say Carlisle to Grimsby for those reasons, or at that point the geographical position.

I totally accept that strikers are at a premium at the moment, and like I said in my previous post the money will have to be right; more than we would normally pay but it is not location per se that is the problem.

This is why Hurst's phone is suddenly ringing a lot as players who fancied their dream move now have a choice of Grimsby and say, Carlisle.
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 39
Poojah
August 25, 2022, 6:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,667
Gold Stars: 1,508

Players and dentists are entirely different.

We have signed thousands of players from China to Scunthorpe and all points in between.

Players do not have the choice of anywhere to go, say like a dentist who might fancy a nice place in a Cotswold town as opposed to the East Marsh.

For a start you have to consider the level he is playing at. That cuts it down to a possible 23 destinations in the country, if he wants to play in league 2. Then there is the small matter of one or more of those 23 wanting him as a player. Let us say that he is lucky and 3 clubs want him.So we have already gone from anywhere in the country like the dentist, to 3 towns. Those 3 towns, for example, are Carlise, Walsall and Grimsby. Then other factors come into play; will they match his wages? Two will, one won't. We are now down to 2 towns in the country. He may then look at the 2 teams and decide which one to join based on how the club is run, who the manager is if he knows any of the other players, what style of football they play etc. He may indeed at that point choose say Carlisle to Grimsby for those reasons, or at that point the geographical position.

I totally accept that strikers are at a premium at the moment, and like I said in my previous post the money will have to be right; more than we would normally pay but it is not location per se that is the problem.

This is why Hurst's phone is suddenly ringing a lot as players who fancied their dream move now have a choice of Grimsby and say, Carlisle.

We’ve missed a trick here. Should have done a deal with Scunny at the very start of the summer to have them ringing around all of our targets.

“Right, so far we’ve had interest from Scunthorpe and…”

“WHAT!? Wait a minute. Scunthorpe? A town of 80,000 people yet only 14 surnames, and the laughing stock of the entire footballing world?”

“Well, yes, but what they’re offering is very competitive and they think you’d really add something to their first team of acne-ridden, pre-pubescent teenagers.”

“I’d rather toast my own testicles. I’ll sign for the other team”.

“But I haven’t even told you who they are or what they’re offering yet.”

*grits teeth*

“I SAID. I’LL SIGN. FOR. THE OTHER TEAM”.

Job done.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 39
HerveJosse
August 25, 2022, 9:05pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.88
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,217
Gold Stars: 144

Not enough dentists or to many patients have to think radically to get out of the mess we are in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 39
AussieMariner
August 25, 2022, 11:17pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,072
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from LN8Mariner

Back of an envelope calculation, about £58k before costs but after VAT. So roughly 20 to 25% of a Tshimanga.

Akwasi Asante (remember him?) currently preferred to start over Tshimanga, and scoring 2 from 4. Tshimanga coming on as a sub after about 60 mins but as far as I can see no goals so far.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 39
Poojah
August 25, 2022, 11:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,667
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from AussieMariner

Akwasi Asante (remember him?) currently preferred to start over Tshimanga, and scoring 2 from 4. Tshimanga coming on as a sub after about 60 mins but as far as I can see no goals so far.

Tshimanga is coming back from a serious injury that has kept him out since February, and a lots happened since then I think it’s fair to say.

No guarantees as to whether he can regain his pre-injury form, but I very much doubt that Asante starting ahead of Tshimanga is a case of preference.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 39
aldi_01
August 26, 2022, 8:02am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I see Asante starting more out of need rather than want, the bonus is he won’t want to give up his place so will bust a gut.

The other lad has had a serious injury, he’s unlikely to be at full tilt yet but you’d imagine that once he starts firing on all cylinders he’s gonna be first choice. I also suspect that Chesterfield won’t be throwing everything in to one basket this year, it was their down fall last year and cost them greatly.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 39
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Bryn Morris

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.