Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back.
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 188 Guests

Just back.

This thread currently has 8,138 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Mariner_09
August 10, 2022, 10:38am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Think the way Holohan and Green got so close to Pepple last night plus Wearne playing off the left or right has manufactured a way of playing without McAtee for the time being. Holohan was picking up pockets of space all over the place and was always looking to pass forward or run at their defenders when he got the ball. Doubt Rochdale will let him have that much space on Saturday, if they’ve bothered doing their research tonight. However, if we can play with that much energy and ambition, we’ll cause every team in this league problems.

Glennon’s set piece delivery could prove the difference in a lot of games too. In a league where there’s not much between the teams, with a lot of games with limited clear cut chances. Every single one was right on the money last night. I know their keeper had a disaster but some of them were so nasty that Alisson would’ve struggled dealing with them. Especially with a player like Waterfall in there, who’s about the biggest threat from those scenarios as anyone I can remember.

Michee is getting better with every game. Lower league defenders can’t cope with him at full tilt cos he’s a player like no other we’ve ever had. He also seems more defensively aware this season.

I think with Green, Morris and Holohan we’ve finally found ourselves a quality midfield in L2. Green looked a different player in that role last night and was absolutely everywhere. He’s better on the ball than I thought he was and he took his goal brilliantly. Echo a thought above re Morris, how many times have we complained about players moving the ball too slowly or going backwards? With Morris and particularly Holohan we have two positive minded midfielders who are getting the opposition on the back foot. Morris’ range of passing is also a cut above, very accurate.

Can’t leave Wearne out on Saturday, he was too much of a threat. Means leaving one of Keirnan or Harry out on Saturday, so that’s a tough call for Hursty either way. Think if we get the midfield and wingers as close to Taylor as we did Pepple, he’ll be even better equipped to win flick ons and lay it off to them.

We’ve had 2 games now without him and we aren’t bemoaning a lack of McAtee, which is a massive plus.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 58
friskneymariner
August 10, 2022, 10:53am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from RonMariner
Jason said in June that the plan was to improve in every transfer window. It certainly seems we have done that this summer and there is still time to bring in more players.

With Green, Morris, Holohan and Clifton it looks like we have the strongest midfield we have had for some considerable time.

We have Khan who I believe will be a great asset when he is fit.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 58
BobbyCummingsTackle
August 10, 2022, 10:54am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,300
Gold Stars: 307
I've only seen the highlights and I don't want to take anything away from Town, you beat what's put in front of you....

...but their keeper looked like he didn't have a clue.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 58
Hagrid
August 10, 2022, 11:01am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,489
Gold Stars: 536
I've only seen the highlights and I don't want to take anything away from Town, you beat what's put in front of you....

amazingly, on loan from Arsenal!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 58
Les Brechin
August 10, 2022, 11:02am

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,717
Gold Stars: 174

I had to double check the teamsheet to make sure his name wasn't Forecast!  

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 58
diehardmariner
August 10, 2022, 11:07am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from Mariner_09

Can’t leave Wearne out on Saturday, he was too much of a threat. Means leaving one of Keirnan or Harry out on Saturday, so that’s a tough call for Hursty either way. Think if we get the midfield and wingers as close to Taylor as we did Pepple, he’ll be even better equipped to win flick ons and lay it off to them.

Was saying this on the way out, unbelievable to think it but it looks to be that Clifton's the one who misses out.

That three in the middle looks really strong, flexible and are building an understanding.  Unfair on Harry to not be considered within them as he's not had a chance to make a claim.  But both Wearne and Kiernan have showed what they can offer from wide, the last goal just sums it up perfectly.  Clifton brings what he brings, pure energy.  But we've got that in the middle now too.  Without someone operating in that McAtee role, it's essential that our wide players are supporting the striker as you say above.  

In Clifton's favour is that the system we're playing supports two midfielders with a high press and at high intensity, something that should suit him perfectly when he gets that chance.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 58
jamesgtfc
August 10, 2022, 11:42am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from diehardmariner

Was saying this on the way out, unbelievable to think it but it looks to be that Clifton's the one who misses out.

That three in the middle looks really strong, flexible and are building an understanding.  Unfair on Harry to not be considered within them as he's not had a chance to make a claim.  But both Wearne and Kiernan have showed what they can offer from wide, the last goal just sums it up perfectly.  Clifton brings what he brings, pure energy.  But we've got that in the middle now too.  Without someone operating in that McAtee role, it's essential that our wide players are supporting the striker as you say above.  

In Clifton's favour is that the system we're playing supports two midfielders with a high press and at high intensity, something that should suit him perfectly when he gets that chance.

I'm torn with what I think Hurst will do on this selection headache. He always seems to favour what I call a grafting winger one side and a more traditional one the other side which makes me think Clifton comes straight back in on Saturday but Kiernan and Wearne were heavily involved in the equaliser on Saturday and then combined brilliantly for the fourth last night.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 58
Grantham_Mariner
August 10, 2022, 11:48am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,195
Gold Stars: 51
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I'm torn with what I think Hurst will do on this selection headache. He always seems to favour what I call a grafting winger one side and a more traditional one the other side which makes me think Clifton comes straight back in on Saturday but Kiernan and Wearne were heavily involved in the equaliser on Saturday and then combined brilliantly for the fourth last night.

I do not think you can put Clifton back in on Saturday after seeing how we did without him attacking wise. When we get a No. 9 Clifton should start again.

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 58
diehardmariner
August 10, 2022, 11:53am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
I'm normally of the same view regards Clifton, especially trying to see it through Hurst's eyes as he loves the energy he brings.  

But you've already got that 3 times over with Morris, Holohan and Green.   Minus McAtee, the demand is for this system to have the wingers higher up than where Clifton operates.  The argument for him to be included that his more defensive mindset adds further encouragement to Glennon bombing forward down the left.  But with Green or Morris sitting deep, almost as the third centre-back, the encouragement for the raiding from deep is already there.

Hurst is pragmatic and will no doubt pick the sides to suit games.  I would be very keen to see a front three of Wearne and Kiernan working off Taylor though.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 58
Jarmo.Is.God
August 10, 2022, 12:00pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from RonMariner
Not forgetting we are yet to see Khan and Maher in action too. So the squad is looking pretty strong already.

Back 3 of Maher Smith Waterfall
And Efetee/Cropper - Glennon/Amos as wing backs is very, very impressive.

Glennon is exactly what i remember, and Smith has an incredible future in the game, he's only 20 and could easily play above this level already.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 58
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.