3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
crusty ole pie
July 31, 2022, 12:29pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,384
Gold Stars: 66
Good to see the football authorities have failed to stamp out time wasting. The antics by a lot of teams really infuriated me last season but orient took it to a new level yesterday immediately after the wonder goal the orient striker picked up the ball and lobbed it into the crowd and there defender later picked up the ball shoved it inside his shirt and ran half the length of the pitch both these where in full view of the officials yet went unpunished.not saying we are saints with a bit of running the clock down but it really needs stamping out of the game
Logged Offline
Private Message
HertsGTFC
July 31, 2022, 12:48pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from crusty ole pie
Good to see the football authorities have failed to stamp out time wasting. The antics by a lot of teams really infuriated me last season but orient took it to a new level yesterday immediately after the wonder goal the orient striker picked up the ball and lobbed it into the crowd and there defender later picked up the ball shoved it inside his shirt and ran half the length of the pitch both these where in full view of the officials yet went unpunished.not saying we are saints with a bit of running the clock down but it really needs stamping out of the game

I agree, but we did see quite a lot of cramp from our first choice keeper in the play off's and it was very kind of him to let the stewards in  the empty area with no seats have a look at the ball after the equaliser in the play off final.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 25
marinerjase
July 31, 2022, 12:49pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,665
Gold Stars: 147
They were doing it from early on..little kicks of the ball away, the keeper time wasting. It was poor, and the officials allowed it to continue.

Daft thing is there was no need for it at all.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 25
moosey_club
July 31, 2022, 12:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,294
Gold Stars: 226
Short memories......

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 25
crusty ole pie
July 31, 2022, 1:03pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,384
Gold Stars: 66
Quoted from moosey_club
Short memories......

Not at all I was embarrassed by some of our antics it needs sorting
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 25
promotion plaice
July 31, 2022, 1:40pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,086
Gold Stars: 200

It's the nicking yards from throw-ins that gets me, it's getting ridiculous.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 25
jamesgtfc
July 31, 2022, 1:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from promotion plaice

It's the nicking yards from throw-ins that gets me, it's getting ridiculous.

Unless you've got Jordan Cropper, it's pointless.

But seriously, how many throw ins are taken anywhere near where they should be these days?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 25
BulkyMariner
July 31, 2022, 1:57pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +211
Gold Stars: 7
It was infuriating to watch Orient's time wasting yesterday, but if we were in their position, I'd personally want us to do the same. It proved effective at essentially killing the game off, we didn't really have a sniff last 20. It's up the ref to stamp it out, which he was ineffective at doing.

It's not enjoyable to watch, but anything goes to secure the win IMO.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 25
Manchester Mariner
July 31, 2022, 2:06pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,822
Gold Stars: 41
It's called 'game management' these days and seemingly celebrated as being some sort of tactic.

The game's gone.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 25
Poojah
July 31, 2022, 2:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,667
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from Manchester Mariner
It's called 'game management' these days and seemingly celebrated as being some sort of tactic.

The game's gone.

I dunno, Max Crocombe’s ‘cramp’ at London Stadium was a highlight of the season for me.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 25
Limerick Mariner
July 31, 2022, 5:54pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,720
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from Poojah

I dunno, Max Crocombe’s ‘cramp’ at London Stadium was a highlight of the season for me.

Next time we are 2-1 up in the second period of extra time in a play-off final, I’ll expect prompt goal kicks and throw-ins for the good of the game. Also to show the B-Corp assessors that we above these sort of antics and setting an example to young people…

…apart from that the Crocombe’s cramp is one of the highlights in 50+ Years watching Town and as it happened I was filled with deep joy…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 25
hheh2
July 31, 2022, 6:07pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +759
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from Poojah

Absolute shithousery, the stuff of dreams

Poojah's fishy
[img]https://image.ibb.co/dgpebm/Dascyllus_melanurus_1.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 25
moosey_club
July 31, 2022, 6:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,294
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

Next time we are 2-1 up in the second period of extra time in a play-off final, I’ll expect prompt goal kicks and throw-ins for the good of the game. Also to show the B-Corp assessors that we above these sort of antics and setting an example to young people…

The first time I actually watched a re run of  the 66 final , England leading in the closing stages of normal time ....the crowd actually booing when England went back to the keeper and chanting attack attack attack.  Unrecognisable from the modern approach.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 25
Limerick Mariner
July 31, 2022, 7:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,720
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from moosey_club

The first time I actually watched a re run of  the 66 final , England leading in the closing stages of normal time ....the crowd actually booing when England went back to the keeper and chanting attack attack attack.  Unrecognisable from the modern approach.

That didn’t go well though did it.
Both womens teams kept going for the winner at the end of normal time just there - no risk averse tip tapping out for extra time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 25
Mayaman
August 1, 2022, 3:25am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,421
Gold Stars: 74
I agree , I hate it, even if my team are doing.  I get the ball in the corner thing with two minutes to go. The Lionesses did it for ten minutes.  I'd rather have them go for goal as long as they didn't risk a rapid counter.   Germany were rattled at that point and could easily have dived in to stop a run into the box or panicked and allowed a shot on goal.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 25
aldi_01
August 1, 2022, 7:33am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Town fans moaning about time wasting…we’ve literally just let a keeper go who would time waste from KO at times…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 25
mimma
August 1, 2022, 3:16pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
I have been saying for a long time,the best solution is for the clock to stop when the ref signals for an injury and it restarts when the ball is back in play. It works very well in rugby, no need to reinvent the wheel, just copy rugby. The ball has to go out of play to end the game, simple.

Wish refs would clamp down on players stopping free kick from been taken quickly. How many times do you see players deliberately stand in front of the ball to stop kicks been taken quickly.  They actually gave the refs instructions to book players for it and it worked well, but it died a death. They soon retreat when cards get flashed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 25
aldi_01
August 1, 2022, 3:53pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from mimma
I have been saying for a long time,the best solution is for the clock to stop when the ref signals for an injury and it restarts when the ball is back in play. It works very well in rugby, no need to reinvent the wheel, just copy rugby. The ball has to go out of play to end the game, simple.

Wish refs would clamp down on players stopping free kick from been taken quickly. How many times do you see players deliberately stand in front of the ball to stop kicks been taken quickly.  They actually gave the refs instructions to book players for it and it worked well, but it died a death. They soon retreat when cards get flashed.

Or perhaps if the players just took the fee kick? Almost 100% of the time it hits the player stood a yard away they get a caution…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 25
mimma
August 1, 2022, 4:14pm
Brandy Drinker
That can get a bit silly though. They don't give players time to retreat, blatantly kick it at them even though it's obvious that they are not actually passing it to anyone. It relies on common sense but that is in short supply in refs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 25
toontown
August 1, 2022, 6:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from aldi_01

Or perhaps if the players just took the fee kick? Almost 100% of the time it hits the player stood a yard away they get a caution…

It definitely doesn't. There was a phase of that a while ago but managers and fans whined when their players were booked for it when they could foul players and not be booked.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 25
mimma
August 1, 2022, 6:58pm
Brandy Drinker
If players know that deliberately stopping a free kick being taken quickly will get you booked then they have no right to complain.  Players not getting booked for fouls is a separate issue and should not be used to defend what is a deliberate attempt to gain an unfair advantage
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 25
toontown
August 1, 2022, 7:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from mimma
If players know that deliberately stopping a free kick being taken quickly will get you booked then they have no right to complain.  Players not getting booked for fouls is a separate issue and should not be used to defend what is a deliberate attempt to gain an unfair advantage

Totally agree
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 25
MarinerDevil
August 1, 2022, 10:15pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,779
Gold Stars: 80
Quoted from mimma

Totally agree with this, I would give the ref the ability to stop the match clock and get rid of injury time. Only problem is about 30 minutes of the 90 is wasted on average, so it would have to be used sparingly.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 25
mimma
August 2, 2022, 12:22am
Brandy Drinker
heavens forbid we actually get 90 minutes playing time!

Once the penny has dropped, then it will only be genuine injuries that stop play since players won't gain anything from stopping play.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 25
Mayaman
August 2, 2022, 4:03am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,421
Gold Stars: 74

Wish refs would clamp down on players stopping free kick from been taken quickly. How many times do you see players deliberately stand in front of the ball to stop kicks been taken quickly.  They actually gave the refs instructions to book players for it and it worked well, but it died a death. They soon retreat when cards get flashed.[/quote]

Happened against Leyton Orient.  McAtee tried to push him away.  He returned and tried the kick the ball out of his hands. .  Ref did sweet FA

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 25
kyan_goodrich04
August 2, 2022, 5:31am

Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +0 / -3
Approval: -238
Gold Stars: 5
You'll cowards don't even smoke crack

free the fife from here they chains!!!! rally the troops from the muck!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 25
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Time wasting

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.