2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
July 30, 2022, 10:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
Sad to say it but it’s all over the world.

Just been to the Algarve Stadium to watch Wolves and Sporting in a 1-1 less than friendly. Zero cards in the first half followed by 9 in the second half. Two penalties won by who shouts loudest and several offsides given by the fans as the linesmen were a million miles behind the play. Most entertaining was Sportings 11 screaming before the Wolves player had even made contact.

I know we moan, mostly with justification, about our officials but these were on another level. As was the football, some of it was mesmeric, Podence and Neto are electric, Wolves would be up excrement creek without them.
Private Message
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
July 31, 2022, 8:45pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.78
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +886
Gold Stars: 120
Can we sticky this topic so we can keep all the moaning all season just in one thread......because we all know it'll happen!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 13
mimma
July 31, 2022, 9:57pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
Just seen the penalty incident of Sky Sports, and I played it back frame by frame. Defiantly a penalty I'm afraid.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 13
MuddyWaters
July 31, 2022, 10:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from mimma
Just seen the penalty incident of Sky Sports, and I played it back frame by frame. Defiantly a penalty I'm afraid.

Under the current rules, that’s a penalty I’m afraid. It’s one that might not have been given against a home team but it should be.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 13
MuddyWaters
July 31, 2022, 10:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Just an aside from last night, Sporting’s number 8 will soon be playing at a higher level, a guy called Matheus Nunes, the best player I’ve seen live since Bergkamp played for Arsenal against Town.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 13
pen penfras
August 1, 2022, 6:40am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -131
Gold Stars: 71
The ref wasn't particularly bad. It was a penalty according to the rules and you can't kick the ball away from the goalkeeper as he drops it to kick. They are the only real gripes and both were correct.

You can moan about the rules being wrong but the ref isn't the problem for following them
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 13
fishcake63
August 1, 2022, 6:54am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
if that's handball fair enough but you will see plenty similiar not given that's my gripe , for me it should be back to hand to ball not ball to hand
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 13
aldi_01
August 1, 2022, 7:29am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
The issue, once again will be inconsistency. He gives that penalty, 100% that happens this weekend, it won’t be given. Nobody in the ground, not a player nor fan appealed.

Equally, the Mcatee ‘goal’ could’ve stood, again, inconsistency. I’ve seen referees allow them, I’ve seen some disallow them like he did. It’s infuriating and frustrating, I know all too well that each referee is their own person having done it for years but this constant ‘reviewing’ of rules that seemingly only some suits in a TV studio want because they can’t fathom out basics is creating a bigger issue.

Handball can be easily solved, hits your arm, regardless of where your arm is, it’s a free kick. Probably is, after the first set of games that happens, every fornicator will be crying again saying it’s ruining the game…so back to the inconsistency we’d go.

The ref was just bobbins for both sides in truth, much like at Wrexham. I don’t particularly think the referees are setting out to be excrement, they’re not being helped by their bosses. We’ve a recruitment issue for various reasons and referees are being promoted either too early or simply because they need more referees.

I packed up Because of the politics and the unreasonable pressures placed on referees the higher up they went, and I’m not talking about the actual games but the fact they’d ring you at the drop of a hat and send you to some godforsaken place, not caring that you have a job or work placement etc simply because you ‘didn’t close the date’.

I spent a significant amount of time in the centre of excellence, as did several lads locally. If your face didn’t fit you were on a hiding to-nothing, they’d spend hours doing fitness work and praising those that could run and run (some were actually awful referees) but placed little focus on understanding play, the laws and how to implement them.

All became a bit odd and then the higher up you get, we now have people like Mike Riley sat at the top who has been openly criticised by referees and it’s all a bit of a mess.

It’s a excrement job, but someone’s got to do it. That said, I can guarantee that that referee will have that same handball incident at some other point this season and he won’t give it…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 13
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
August 1, 2022, 7:40am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.85
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,831
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from aldi_01

Equally, the Mcatee ‘goal’ could’ve stood, again, inconsistency. I’ve seen referees allow them, I’ve seen some disallow them like he did.

The last one in this country that was incorrectly allowed, that I am aware of, was (ex-Mariner) Gary Crosby vs Andy Dibble, 32 years ago. Hardly inconsistency.

It rarely happens now because every player knows it’s against the rules and they will be yellow carded for trying it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 13
aldi_01
August 1, 2022, 7:42am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473

The last one in this country that was incorrectly allowed, that I am aware of, was (ex-Mariner) Gary Crosby vs Andy Dibble, 32 years ago. Hardly inconsistency.

It rarely happens now because every player knows it’s against the rules and they will be yellow carded for trying it.

I’m talking across all levels…the point is, there’s an argument for and against allowing it.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 13
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Sub standard refereeing

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.