This thread currently has 2,850 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Stuart Discotheque
July 26, 2022, 11:35am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +73
I usually bang a couple of outright Lucky 15s on my predicted winners of the leagues in the EFL and NL. Just in the process of lining this years up, wondered if anyone else does similar or has any strong opinions (town walking league 2 aside) on who will be at the top come the business end of the season in the Championship, L1, L2 and National League.

My fancies include

Championship:
Boro
Sheff Utd
Norwich

L1:
Pompy
Sheff Wed
Ipswich

L2:
Stockport
Mansfield
Northampton
(Town)

NL:
Wrexham - surely walk it

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Jarmo.Is.God
July 26, 2022, 11:38am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Middlesborough
Norwich

Sheff Wed
Ipswich

Stockport
Bradford

Wrexham
Chesterfield
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 21
diehardmariner
July 26, 2022, 11:42am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Sheff Wednesday are my pick for League One.  Didn't get over the line last year but then taken the 2 best players from the side that got promoted (Rotherham).  

Think it's like for like really with  constant challengers at that level replacing another Peterborough and Barnsley replacing Wigan and Rotherham.  Don't see Derby as a challenger in the same way Sunderland were.

On the other side of the city, I fancy Sheffield United to struggle. Perhaps not quite for relegation but definitely to finish in the bottom half.

In the Premier League, Arsenal have done fantastic business in the window to strengthen an already improving team.  8/1 to finish top with Liverpool or City.  
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 21
Son of Cod
July 26, 2022, 11:43am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Darlo look like they've got great odds to me if you can get NLN in there somehow too. If they can get Mark Beck and Marcus Madison firing then they'll score for fun at that level.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 21
GollyGTFC
July 26, 2022, 11:53am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,048
Gold Stars: 358
Quoted from Son of Cod
Darlo look like they've got great odds to me if you can get NLN in there somehow too. If they can get Mark Beck and Marcus Madison firing then they'll score for fun at that level.

AFC Fylde will walk NLN.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 4 - 21
Stew0_0
July 26, 2022, 11:56am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,188
Gold Stars: 35
Im going for Bradford for League 2 champions.
Think Mark Hughes will finally get the sleeping giants firing, they've made some good signings. Smallwood in particular is a hell of a signing and with 14,000 season tickets sold will be a difficult place for away teams at Valley Parade. Northampton and Stockport will be strong too.  
Wrexham surely cant miss out again in the National League.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 21
Poojah
July 26, 2022, 12:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,667
Gold Stars: 1,508
Wrexham haven’t added to their squad in the way many might have expected. Elliot Lee from Luton, who had been on loan at Charlton in League One last season, looks a smart piece of business but beyond that they’ve only signed a bit part player from Crawley and a 35 year old goalkeeper from Carlisle.

They should probably have enough to do it, but their strategy doesn’t appear to be as gung-ho as it was in their last two transfer windows. Perhaps that play-off defeat was a bigger fly in their ointment than it seemed.

Parkinson will be in the job centre without a good start.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 21
diehardmariner
July 26, 2022, 12:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Regards Wrexham, Lee's a decent player and you would expect him to stand out at that level.  But I wouldn't have thought it's something they'll see as an improvement over Mullin and Palmer.  Without doubt, it adds depth.  But he'll have to go some to outscore Mullin over the course of the season and indeed Palmer over the half of the season he was there.  

His strike rate isn't mouth watering either, I know it's not all about that but it's not a signing that I looked at and thought 'Wow'.

Not at all convinced they'll walk it like many think, including the bookies.  Chesterfield fell apart last season because of an injury to their goal threat and a change of management/style.  Cook's a good manager, I can't imagine he'll have suffered fools this summer and will have them sorted to meet the style.  I know Khan's a loss but George Cooper is an incredible signing at that level.  
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 21
Jarmo.Is.God
July 26, 2022, 12:42pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from Poojah
Wrexham haven’t added to their squad in the way many might have expected. Elliot Lee from Luton, who had been on loan at Charlton in League One last season, looks a smart piece of business but beyond that they’ve only signed a bit part player from Crawley and a 35 year old goalkeeper from Carlisle.

They should probably have enough to do it, but their strategy doesn’t appear to be as gung-ho as it was in their last two transfer windows. Perhaps that play-off defeat was a bigger fly in their ointment than it seemed.

Parkinson will be in the job centre without a good start.

I think Wrexham go up, but not with Parkinson at the helm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 21
Limerick Mariner
July 26, 2022, 12:45pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,720
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from Stew0_0
Im going for Bradford for League 2 champions.
Think Mark Hughes will finally get the sleeping giants firing, they've made some good signings. Smallwood in particular is a hell of a signing and with 14,000 season tickets sold will be a difficult place for away teams at Valley Parade. Northampton and Stockport will be strong too.  
Wrexham surely cant miss out again in the National League.

Bradford have an impressive squad, but Hughes would be my concern in backing them. He's been a destroy and exit manager higher up, didn't work for 4 years and hasn't worked at this level before.

For League 2 I'm going with
Mansfield
Stockport
Northampton
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 21
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › EFL / NL Outrights

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.