Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Kit supply : not just gtfc!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 241 Guests

Kit supply : not just gtfc!

This thread currently has 3,358 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
ex-merseymariner
July 25, 2022, 7:24am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,401
Gold Stars: 9

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62256634

For those complaining about the availability of the new kit, this gives some context.....

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
aldi_01
July 25, 2022, 7:39am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
But it is…people on here said so and have one example of a team dealing with it…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 29
jamesgtfc
July 25, 2022, 8:29am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Only 7% of kit sales is kept by clubs which is shocking! Don't Palace wear Macron?

Barnsley who have Puma kits played their first friendly (unsure about subsequent) in last seasons away kit.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 29
Theimperialcoroner
July 25, 2022, 10:18am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,254
Gold Stars: 102
Kevin McGuire from the Price of Football was on the radio this morning and a ManC shirt is £70 or £100 if you want a match day one. That’s an staggering £30 more than the same garment from the same supplier costs for a Stockport one. Obscene.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 29
oochiad
July 25, 2022, 10:30am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,725
Gold Stars: 28
44 out of the 92 clubs have kit forsale at the moment. Puts our situation into perspective, all those impatient people!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 29
HertsGTFC
July 25, 2022, 10:33am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from jamesgtfc
Only 7% of kit sales is kept by clubs which is shocking! Don't Palace wear Macron?

Barnsley who have Puma kits played their first friendly (unsure about subsequent) in last seasons away kit.

I'd assume that "7% commission" refers to kit sold by 3rd parties, you'd expect that margin to be higher when sold through club shops.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 29
oochiad
July 25, 2022, 12:21pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,725
Gold Stars: 28
7% is for the Premiership, I believe it’s much higher for the lower leagues
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 29
Marinerdan
July 25, 2022, 2:16pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +15 / -1
Approval: +970
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from oochiad
7% is for the Premiership, I believe it’s much higher for the lower leagues

I think the Premiership teams get a chunky fee upfront on top of this too.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 29
Gaffer58
July 25, 2022, 2:39pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,097
Gold Stars: 33
Something was said when Dixons were our shirt sponsor, I believe they paid £100k to the club but it was sad they would get a significant amount of that back as they would get a percentage of every shirt sold.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 29
The Yard Dog
July 25, 2022, 2:55pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,514
Gold Stars: 74
Caught the back end of the story on talksport this morning, its not just relica tops, some clubs do not have their new kits for the first teams available at the moment.

Thats the problem these days when everything is manufactured abroad. I worked for Falcon Cycles when all the bikes were manufactured in Brigg, employing two to three hundred people then a big wig had a idea to have the bikes manufactured abroad in Turkey & Vietman to save a tenner per bike, resulting in all those job losses.

I said at the time it was a bad move, ordering 6 months in adavnce, no flexability with production, quality control and delivery times. I was proved right, we had poor quality build, when the bikes did arrive, did not sell (reduced the price of bike in the end to shift them), had this happened while being made in Brigg, production was altered to meet customer demand,  A ship sink with thousands of bikes lost, disrupting the whole supply chain.  In the end cost all those people's jobs for nothing in the end.

I try not to buy anything that's made in China, but its getting harder to find alternative options.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 29
grimps
July 25, 2022, 2:55pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,136
Gold Stars: 46
I was in the shop today and there seemed to be plenty of stock of kit and training kit , I never bothered looking at the sizes but I’m sure they have plenty
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 29
diehardmariner
July 26, 2022, 12:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
What we need is to cut out the middle man.  Take the production of the kits in house, ideally with a really crappy logo that falls off.  Who knows, we might even be able to then sell kits to other clubs in the future!
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 29
GrimPol
July 26, 2022, 2:41pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -784
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from The Yard Dog
Caught the back end of the story on talksport this morning, its not just relica tops, some clubs do not have their new kits for the first teams available at the moment.

Thats the problem these days when everything is manufactured abroad. I worked for Falcon Cycles when all the bikes were manufactured in Brigg, employing two to three hundred people then a big wig had a idea to have the bikes manufactured abroad in Turkey & Vietman to save a tenner per bike, resulting in all those job losses.

I said at the time it was a bad move, ordering 6 months in adavnce, no flexability with production, quality control and delivery times. I was proved right, we had poor quality build, when the bikes did arrive, did not sell (reduced the price of bike in the end to shift them), had this happened while being made in Brigg, production was altered to meet customer demand,  A ship sink with thousands of bikes lost, disrupting the whole supply chain.  In the end cost all those people's jobs for nothing in the end.
I try not to buy anything that's made in China, but its getting harder to find alternative options.

This is worth a read    https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20180517-the-cost-of-swapping-shirts
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 29
crusty ole pie
July 26, 2022, 7:06pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,384
Gold Stars: 66
Quoted from diehardmariner
What we need is to cut out the middle man.  Take the production of the kits in house, ideally with a really crappy logo that falls off.  Who knows, we might even be able to then sell kits to other clubs in the future!

O yes whatever happened to that idea
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 29
Poojah
July 28, 2022, 12:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,667
Gold Stars: 1,508
Wimbledon lose plot as they release blue away kit to go with their blue home kit.

[img]https://www-thesun-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/i/s/www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/bc261b7a-a446-43fe-a554-9330c9f23d45.jpg?strip=all&w=960[/img]

[img]https://www-thesun-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/ii/AW/s/www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/NINTCHDBPICT000749709301.jpg?strip=all&w=946[/img]

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 29
GollyGTFC
July 29, 2022, 7:25am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,048
Gold Stars: 358
The kit supply issue is mainly caused by the Chinese governments “zero COVID” policy. If there is one case of COVID a whole community has to shut down for 2 weeks. This meant that the shirt suppliers who produce in China had their production disrupted by unplanned shutdowns. And the same policy has led to shipping issues in and out of China.

Town’s kit is made in Italy.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 15 - 29
SteffiMariner
July 29, 2022, 7:42am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +408
Gold Stars: 19
Ah, yes, because Italy hasn't been affected by Covid, either...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 29
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
July 29, 2022, 7:49am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.85
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,831
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Town’s kit is made in Italy.

That is almost certainly false.

It will be manufactured in China. It may be distributed from Italy ***

Most cheap ‘Italian’ off-the-peg clobber is made in Asia. The more expensive clothing is made in Italy by Chinese workers. Only low production, bespoke clothing tends to be truly ‘Made in Italy’ these days.

*** I doubt even that because aren’t UK tariffs lower than EU tariffs for Chinese made goods. Presumably Macron import Chinese manufactured kit into the UK straight from China using their new UK company.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 29
GollyGTFC
July 29, 2022, 7:51am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,048
Gold Stars: 358
Quoted from SteffiMariner
Ah, yes, because Italy hasn't been affected by Covid, either...

Does the Italian government have a zero covid policy that has forced Macron to close their factories in Italy for an extended period? No.

Have Macron been effected by the disruption in shipping container transit times from Asia to Europe? No.

That was my point. Our issues are caused by us failing to anticipate demand and because Macron got a kit huge deal with UEFA to supply a whole raft of lower ranked international sides as part of UEFA’s Kit Assistance programme and prioritised that over the spring meaning clubs like us got our deliveries a couple of weeks later than normal whilst the season is starting earlier than normal. The perfect storm.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 18 - 29
aldi_01
July 29, 2022, 8:06am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Does the Italian government have a zero covid policy that has forced Macron to close their factories in Italy for an extended period? No.

Have Macron been effected by the disruption in shipping container transit times from Asia to Europe? No.

That was my point. Our issues are caused by us failing to anticipate demand and because Macron got a kit huge deal with UEFA to supply a whole raft of lower ranked international sides as part of UEFA’s Kit Assistance programme and prioritised that over the spring meaning clubs like us got our deliveries a couple of weeks later than normal whilst the season is starting earlier than normal. The perfect storm.

They’re Italian, coming from Italy…we should be thankful we’re getting them at all…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 29
Northbank Mariner
July 29, 2022, 9:13am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,525
Gold Stars: 172
Our issues are caused by us failing to anticipate demand

Really?..they had to order in February, at which point we sat outside the play offs were on a bit of a downward trajectory...then the miracle of 2022 started to gain momentum...
So, no they didn't "fail" because at the point of putting that order in, nobody and I mean nobody could predict what came after!..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 29
July 29, 2022, 9:23am
Guest User
Quoted from GollyGTFC

The time has come where you have become the 2nd person I have blocked on The Fishy. You're constant whining and moaning and the drivel you post on here has finally made me make this decision.

Reply: 21 - 29
aldi_01
July 29, 2022, 9:29am

Barley Wine Drinker
This shirt whining is rather tiresome to some extent. So we’ve shifted around 1500/600 shirts in total and about a handful weren’t able to get them. Let’s assume the club had gambled hugely in February and ordered 3000, that would still probably leave a 1000 on the shelf until a few are purchased at crimbo.

Hardly seems the cryarsing. It’s an unprecedented amount shifted on the first day but in truth, it’s less than a fifth of season ticket holders…

Surely the biggest issue this summer is accommodating new fans and walk ups, not worrying because a few middle men can’t get a shirt…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 29
ginnywings
July 29, 2022, 10:24am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
They doubled the normal order, but sales were way beyond what anyone could have anticipated because we not only got unexpectedly promoted, but we did it in such an incredible way, against all the odds, that it created a buying frenzy.

I don't think anyone could foresee what was about to happen when the order went in 3 months before the season ended.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 29
Poojah
July 29, 2022, 11:05am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
They doubled the normal order, but sales were way beyond what anyone could have anticipated because we not only got unexpectedly promoted, but we did it in such an incredible way, against all the odds, that it created a buying frenzy.

I don't think anyone could foresee what was about to happen when the order went in 3 months before the season ended.

I’m not having that ginny, I predicted that very thing as long ago as last August. If only they had listened…

https://forum.thefishy.co.uk/Blah.pl?m-1627825584/s-0/#num3

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 29
DB
July 29, 2022, 11:10am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Really?..they had to order in February, at which point we sat outside the play offs were on a bit of a downward trajectory...then the miracle of 2022 started to gain momentum...
So, no they didn't "fail" because at the point of putting that order in, nobody and I mean nobody could predict what came after!..

I seem to recall reading posts last season in which somebody kept saying "Going Up"

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 29
diehardmariner
July 29, 2022, 11:14am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from GollyGTFC

There isn't a forecasting model in the world that would have come even close to predicting this level of increased demand.  It's that simple.  

Even doubling the normal order is bold, very bold in fact.  To expect the club, or any club, to have predicted this is completely unrealistic.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 29
ginnywings
July 29, 2022, 9:30pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Poojah

I’m not having that ginny, I predicted that very thing as long ago as last August. If only they had listened…

https://forum.thefishy.co.uk/Blah.pl?m-1627825584/s-0/#num3

Nostradamus.

Some kind of witchcraft at least.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 29
jamesgtfc
July 29, 2022, 10:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Of course Macron are going to prioritise UEFA and nations over English fifth fourth tier Grimsby Town. We doubled our order in February, when we didn't look like going up.

There are global supply chain issues but it's a cashflow issue too. If we ordered triple, Macron could have told us to do one as they have other customers too.

Football is back tomorrow so hopefully you can stop crying about our kits, how bad you think the communication is and start appreciating all the good things that the board have done rather than crying about having to go to the game wearing a town top with Young's across the front.

My youngest really wants the home kit for his birthday in September but I've already explained it might be a problem but I will get him one when I can. He's taken that news better than many adults.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 29
Poojah
July 29, 2022, 10:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Nostradamus.

Some kind of witchcraft at least.

PM me for tomorrow night‘s lottery numbers and the outcome of the forthcoming season.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 29
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Kit supply : not just gtfc!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.