immariner
July 20, 2022, 8:11pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,414
Gold Stars: 61
Quoted from ska face

Wasn’t it half full of families most of last season, and isn’t the Osmond end of the Main currently the family section?

Exactly. And just from a "crowd safety" point of view it makes more sense to promote the Osmond to families The poilice, SAG etc will certainly be happier with the prospect of a load of families being in the same stand as Bradford/Mansfield fans, than the prospect of a load of pwoper norty types.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 76
Roast Em Bobby
July 20, 2022, 8:29pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,723
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

With all respect that's a bit Fenty-like - check this out

[url]https://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn/nav/attnengleague.htm[/url]

through the 80s low point in football attendances and the 90s the overall average for the 2nd tier was probably not much more than 10K if our numbers have increased in line with the general trend - we'd be at 10k + average and Blades, Hudders etc games would need a 14 / 15k capacity

This shows are average attendances over the years - https://thefishy.co.uk/story.php?id=8382729

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 76
Swansea_Mariner
July 20, 2022, 8:33pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,468
Gold Stars: 63
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

I'm not an architect, but employ them. Let's ignore planning - we have history of a much larger capacity on the site (may or may not help don't know). .

What? Non starter, unless you mean something else than this looks like.

As for the rest you are talking tens of millions on a constrained site, that would require phasing over several years,  during which part of the stadium would be a building  site.

I don't thinks its remotely  feasible.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 76
Limerick Mariner
July 20, 2022, 8:47pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,727
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

What? Non starter, unless you mean something else than this looks like.

As for the rest you are talking tens of millions on a constrained site, that would require phasing over several years,  during which part of the stadium would be a building  site.

I don't thinks its remotely  feasible.

No I don’t mean build without planning permission - I mean let’s set aside planning issues which may or may not be a deal breaker.

Why do you think it’s not feasible as a project. I posted elsewhere an 8k stand done in 82 days. Why would it cost more than a new build with all the site remediation  drainage and utilities and highways that would be involved? Many clubs have redeveloped in situ on constrained sites - latest is Fulham.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 76
Swansea_Mariner
July 20, 2022, 8:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
You can't just set aside any issues, I'd  have no problem with them seeing if a scheme is feasible through  the pre application  process but whatever emerges has to be factored into the scheme. That all cost money though.

As for costs I've seen enough  design  team estimates for refurb/renovations for large capital schemes and in my experience they rarely come in cheaper than clean site rebuilds especially when phased over several  years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 76
immariner
July 20, 2022, 8:54pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,414
Gold Stars: 61
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby

This shows are average attendances over the years - https://thefishy.co.uk/story.php?id=8382729

I honestly hadn't realised our crowds were that low in the first few years in the Conference, averaging fewer than 3000 home fans the first couple of years. Understandable obviously but in my mind's eye I'd have gueesed we averaged 3.5-4000 . That drop from 18k in 1950 to 4k within 20 years is quite something
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 76
ginnywings
July 20, 2022, 8:55pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
As others have said the 9000 capacity that Debbie and Jason keep saying is just plain wrong. We'd be better to declare capacity as being 8000 and then the 10% away fans allocation could always be the Osmond corner and Town fans could have the larger part of that stand.

I don't think you can just declare what capacity you feel like, and even if we did, the corner holds 600, which isn't 10% of 8000.

Our fans seem to have an obsession with upping the seating capacity at BP, when in all probability, even with the amount of season tickets we have sold, I doubt we will sell out every week.

If we sell 6000 season tickets and give the away team 1200, that still leaves about 1800 to fill. A lot of season ticket sales will be regulars from last season converting from match to match ticket buying like myself and my brother. Walk up fans may not be able to choose where they want to sit as in previous seasons, but there will be seats available somewhere.

We should know by now that the new owners are not daft and if it becomes clear that BP is bursting at the seams, then yeah, look at ways of increasing capacity, but as we stand now, we are not yet at that point.

For my money, we need to be looking at upgrading the facilities for the fans that we have now. Toilets and refreshment outlets are going to be seriously strained. We also have to weigh the cost benefits of introducing extra seating and/or more away fans with the costs of hiring said seating and extra security.

I realise that this may be an unpopular view on here, but let's see what happens regards capacity and trust that the board are keeping a close eye on developments.

If our season average goes up by 2000, we will still be well in capacity.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 76
ska face
July 20, 2022, 9:02pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,754
Gold Stars: 851
As others have said the 9000 capacity that Debbie and Jason keep saying is just plain wrong.

Based on what? Isn’t it her job to know what the capacity is as fairy fundamental starting point?
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 76
Swansea_Mariner
July 20, 2022, 9:06pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from ska face

Based on what? Isn’t it her job to know what the capacity is as fairy fundamental starting point?

Well if you add up the totals for all the stands published on the official website then the total comes in at less than 9032.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 76
ska face
July 20, 2022, 9:12pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,754
Gold Stars: 851
Website not accurate? Now there’s a first.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 76
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Debbie Cook interview

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.