2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
UTMariners
July 19, 2022, 9:26am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +424
Gold Stars: 6
I've seen a few apparent experts online recently predicting we will be circling the relegation zone come the end of the season.  Quite happy that we seem to be under the radar again, and hope this helps motivate the players like it did in the play offs.  I recall in 2017/18 Accrington put together a squad with team spirit and togetherness which culminated in a finish which most wouldn't have predicted for them!

"My love, my heart, my soul, my life.  My beloved Club Grimsby."

Salford Mariner

Join the Trust!
Logged Offline
Private Message
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
July 19, 2022, 9:55am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.78
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +886
Gold Stars: 120
It is what it is.

As long as we dont get relegated, we will still be in the right place to build a team for the following seasons, although the majority of our new players are on a minimum of 2 year contracts, so next season Hurst might not have to dip into the transfer market quite as much as this year, as long as they all perform to the required standard.

Now having 4 of the players who were in the National League Players of the Season team, the future is looking rosey

Personally I think we will be mid table which isnt bad for our first season back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 19
aldi_01
July 19, 2022, 10:00am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from UTMariners
I've seen a few apparent experts online recently predicting we will be circling the relegation zone come the end of the season.  Quite happy that we seem to be under the radar again, and hope this helps motivate the players like it did in the play offs.  I recall in 2017/18 Accrington put together a squad with team spirit and togetherness which culminated in a finish which most wouldn't have predicted for them!

Online experts = spotty virgins that read Mundial once…

I can think of at least 3 teams I’d say are nailed on for a relegation battle…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 19
diehardmariner
July 19, 2022, 10:22am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Who was the last team to come up and go straight back down again?

Generally promoted sides tend to do quite well coming into League Two, at a guess I'd say more so than any other league in England.  Last year was the toughest Conference I can remember in terms of depth and sheer financial power that clubs had, at least 4 clubs that were spending in a way that would have put most League Two sides to shame.  

We overcame that and for my money we've strengthened.  Fox was a loss but, on paper, Green looks an improvement.  We've added one of the best defenders we came up against and some extra threat from wide.  I don't think we're the finished article and I still think we're short of a couple of additions to challenge at the top.  But relegation fodder?  Not a chance.  
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 19
Jarmo.Is.God
July 19, 2022, 10:34am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
to be fair, we was underdogs last season.
Only Chris Hargreaves predicted us to go up, and i think we all know why he did....

Even during the play-offs, they was all assuming we was just going to lose the next match.

Made it all that more sweet
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 19
arryarryarry
July 19, 2022, 10:42am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,037
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from UTMariners

Are you referring to actual experts or some of the muppets that have youtube channels and think they are?
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 19
lew chaterleys lover
July 19, 2022, 11:20am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
To be fair to this explosion of "experts" or geeks as they are known is all they have ever seen is GTFC being relegated, just avoiding relegation or playing in the NL.

It's a shame but we have basically got to rebuild our reputation with a generation who just see us as basically rubbish.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 19
Poojah
July 19, 2022, 11:29am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,667
Gold Stars: 1,508
To be fair to this explosion of "experts" or geeks as they are known is all they have ever seen is GTFC being relegated, just avoiding relegation or playing in the NL.

It's a shame but we have basically got to rebuild our reputation with a generation who just see us as basically rubbish.

History will always be used as a reference point to benchmark expected performance, and we’ve been consistently a bottom third (at best) side in our most recent League Two seasons.

From the outside looking in we’re still unfashionable old bottom feeding Grimsby, playing at the decaying and decrepit Blundell Park, but the reality is that we are absolutely incomparable as a club from the one which sauntered so calamitously into the non-league abyss a little over a year ago.

We’re going to surprise a few people this year, I think.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 19
DB
July 19, 2022, 11:29am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from UTMariners

They obviously haven't done their homework. If they had they would have realised that the club is not the one Fenty sold, but one that is going places, a phoenix rising from the rabbit burrows of Blundell Park to a pitch with a new sprinkler system. I could go on but the difference is dynamic between what we had and what we've now got. Experts???, would pay then tuppence and as for where we'll be come at the end of the season, well you already know my view.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 19
diehardmariner
July 19, 2022, 11:39am
Vodka Drinker
They're not experts, far from it.  It's lazy analysis.

They've seen we've yo-yoed in and out of League Two in recent history, finished fairly far down the pecking order in the Conference and that's the level of their research.

I saw one the other day that had us and Crawley to go down. That's Crawley who have done some serious recruitment this summer, including the signing of a guy who bagged 25 in 37 in the very same league last season.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 19
ginnywings
July 19, 2022, 12:01pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
And yet, in an analysis of teams with the most potential for growth, we were picked out as one of the best bets.

This was a proper study of teams in Britain, not some numpty with a YouTube channel and 50 followers.

We have good owners, good backing, a good manager and a decent squad. We'll be fine.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 19
Son of Cod
July 19, 2022, 12:03pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from diehardmariner
They're not experts, far from it.  It's lazy analysis.

They've seen we've yo-yoed in and out of League Two in recent history, finished fairly far down the pecking order in the Conference and that's the level of their research.

I saw one the other day that had us and Crawley to go down. That's Crawley who have done some serious recruitment this summer, including the signing of a guy who bagged 25 in 37 in the very same league last season.

I think the Crawley thing might be in part based on the potential for an NFT implosion of some kind. Agree that they've done some very good recruitment but their whole model is absolutely bonkers and never been done before. Saw this yesterday:

https://www.sussexexpress.co.u.....lisle-united-3773066
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 19
lew chaterleys lover
July 19, 2022, 12:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Son of Cod

I think the Crawley thing might be in part based on the potential for an NFT implosion of some kind. Agree that they've done some very good recruitment but their whole model is absolutely bonkers and never been done before. Saw this yesterday:

That has got disaster written all over it.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 19
chaos33
July 19, 2022, 12:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,973
Gold Stars: 361
Naturally, I agree with Ginny. I think some might have over exaggerated our chances at both ends of the table and I’ve seen YouTubers of various types predict us anywhere from 8th to 18th generally. It’s just opinion isn’t it, based on very little real knowledge of the detail of where the clubs are and how they might be set up for players and budgets and support and all the rest of it. It’s not a science is it. A lot of it just looks like guesswork based on little research or received ideas and preconceptions about all of the above.

I think we’ll obviously find L2 tougher and much more competitive/open than the NL last year and that it would be easy to let exuberance and confidence and ambition lead us into setting minimum expectations at an unrealistic level, as important as those things are.

Everyone at GTFC expects high standards. Rightly so. If we establish ourselves, compete comfortably generally, continue progressing like we have, and evolve the club further on its present trajectory I think we’d have the platform for a promotion push for L1, in time.

Can’t see that we’ll be fighting relegation. Just, no evidence to suggest we will struggle, notwithstanding the usual spells or poor form/unlucky results that happen to every club.

For me, I expect us to establish, consolidate and push on this season. I wouldn’t expect a promotion push this campaign. That’s not to suggest that this shouldn’t be our aim - it should, but I’d be a bit philosophical/pragmatic about that at my age. There are some big clubs with big budgets in L2. This isn’t Maidenhead and Woking and even Notts County and Chesterfield. Northampton, Bradford, Stockport, Tranmere, Gillingham, Doncaster and the rest
have all got money, better players and more support. Nobody will be skint, part time or rubbish.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 19
BottesfordMariner
July 19, 2022, 12:13pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +13 / -2
Approval: +1,312
Gold Stars: 9
These so called expert pre season predictions are usually excrement based on little more than where did the team finish the year before and how much money have they spent and any players that ' expert' may have heard of.

Lazy and inaccurate.

Relegated teams usually fancied to do ok as they are a league lower. Promoted teams , unless spent loads, usually picked to be bottom half or fighting relegation

If we'd signed a couple of over the hill 'names' they'd fancy us to do well.

I hope we are not near the bottom. Not necessarily saying we are going to storm this league but think we can more than hold our own.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 19
diehardmariner
July 19, 2022, 12:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Son of Cod

Oh it's ridiculous, don't get me wrong.  It'll end in tears eventually.  But I suppose a bit like Notts County when they were taken over by those conmen, if you chuck enough money at it and bring in enough decent players then you'll end up at the right end of the table more often than not.

Unless their owners walk out midway through the season and players walk away/down tools, I just can't see them struggling.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 19
HertsGTFC
July 19, 2022, 12:50pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Mid table finish with a few bumpy periods.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 19
goodref
July 19, 2022, 1:19pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +9
Gold Stars: 2
Let us not forget the part we as fans can play in the success of our club.

Last season we averaged over five and a half thousand per home league game..

We have brilliant new owners, a fantastic manager who has great support from Doigy, Dave Moore and all the others behind the scenes. And a squad that is building based on last years success.

As fans we showed our support last season both home and away. And we are already well ahead in terms of season ticket holders compared to other seasons..

So all we now need to do is turn up every week and give our full support in our usual vociferous terms.

Let us make BP a fortress again and prove those experts that little old Grimsby Town FC are back and back to stay this time.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 19
July 19, 2022, 1:19pm
Guest User
I love it, should get a better price at the bookies for us to get promoted this season!
Reply: 18 - 19
monkeyboy
July 19, 2022, 2:22pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
Personally i think we will flirt with the playoffs. but we will do it sustainably unlike some others.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 19
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Underdogs

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.