Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,933
Gold Stars: 238
Quoted from Hagrid

[/b]

yeah i'd imagine they'll be bursting. i'll wait and see if a notts to St pancras is running and go from there

It should still be - East Midlands Railway drivers aren't included in the strikes on July 30th so services between Sheffield / Notts and St Pancras should still be running as scheduled that day as things currently stand.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 55
LH
July 14, 2022, 2:49pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,566
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from 123614

The median average wage for train drivers works out at £1,233 per week.  I think I could struggle by with that!

Yes and they’ll have mortgages, rates and other outgoings they’ve become accustomed too etc to go with it. Costs go up and wages stagnate therefore they’ve effectively had a pay cut. That shouldn’t be happening in public serving, safety critical jobs because eventually those people will move on and the skilset is lost while others are trained.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 55
diehardmariner
July 14, 2022, 2:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from PB
I had planned to take a train on that day too, so I’m disappointed too.  I don’t understand how people can support this selfish action from a Union hell bent on holding the country to ransom. The average train driver earns £54,000 pa, way more than the police, firefighters, nurses and teachers do on average.

Jesus!  If this Government told you to put your head in the oven, would you ask which temperature?

Can you not see that it's conquer and divide against a group that are ballsy enough to stand up and say enough is enough?  They're absolutely taking the urine out of us on every single front yet you're focusing your anger on striking train drivers who are sticking up for themselves and the people who work in their industry!

The reason it's the drivers who are striking is because it's maximum impact, that's the whole purpose of a strike - to make you feel the brunt and put pressure on the Government to bloody do their jobs!  If the cleaners on the trains took action it wouldn't have the level of impact, yet they're the ones who are more likely to feel the impact of the cost of living crises combined with an effective pay-cut.  The drivers could ignore that, say "I'm alright Jack" and feel smug that they can absorb inflation rises.

Vive la révolution!
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 55
ska face
July 14, 2022, 2:52pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,753
Gold Stars: 851
Quoted from PB
I had planned to take a train on that day too, so I’m disappointed too.  I don’t understand how people can support this selfish action from a Union hell bent on holding the country to ransom. The average train driver earns £54,000 pa, way more than the police, firefighters, nurses and teachers do on average.

I agree - nurses, firefighters and teachers DO need to be paid a lot more. I’m glad someone finally had the courage to say it.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 55
headingly_mariner
July 14, 2022, 2:57pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,391
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from cmackenzie4

The responsibility I have as a signaller is very high, any mistake by myself or colleagues and it can mean a fatality or derailment, we are continually training and the responsibility is getting more and more (year on year) as things renew and technology changes, I have a very responsible job but I love my job, I’ve worked very hard to get to my current position.I’ve never been furloughed and had to work throughout the pandemic (from day one) I know most other people have too but for me it’s about fairness for all.

The thing is we didn’t create this mess, the government did, why should the rich get richer and the poor get poorer, I thought our union representative did very well on tv and answered all the things put to him in an honest and professional way, he said it as it is.(I’m sure you know who I mean)

Everybody should be getting a fair pay rise not just railway workers.

And good on you as well! Train companies making loads of money and trying to whittle away at pay and conditions.

I wish my Union was as strong as yours. We've had one 1% rise in the last 10 years and can do intercourse all about it other than leave.

I was getting the train, I know might have to make other arrangements, completely support the strikes though.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 55
Manchester Mariner
July 14, 2022, 2:58pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,822
Gold Stars: 41
The race to the bottom goes on. Do yourselves a favour, join a union.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 55
Grimsby Is Not In Yorkshire
July 14, 2022, 3:16pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Approval: +244
Gold Stars: 17
It's all good and well waving the union flag but you try getting to and from work in Central London without the tube and train services, especially working shifts.

Add into that you are an emergency worker who does not possess the power of strike or the morals to strike given the work you do. And you've had your pay and conditions changed against your will in previous years (Winsor Report).

And you might change your empathy with striking transport workers.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 55
cmackenzie4
July 14, 2022, 3:17pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.25
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from headingly_mariner

And good on you as well! Train companies making loads of money and trying to whittle away at pay and conditions.

I wish my Union was as strong as yours. We've had one 1% rise in the last 10 years and can do intercourse all about it other than leave.

I was getting the train, I know might have to make other arrangements, completely support the strikes though.  

I speak to my colleagues daily and not one of them wanted to strike, they all know how much it affects the public, it causes chaos and it’s horrible, it affects us railway workers too but what other option is there when talks fail? bills have gone up by thousands of pounds per annum not just for me but all of us, how can a fireman (for example) be struggling to pay bills (I know some who are) how is that fair ? Things need to change and our union is taking a stand, other unions are now acting too, there are so many people who are accepting of the way things are when the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer, there has never been a time where it’s been so blatantly obvious as now.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 55
ska face
July 14, 2022, 3:23pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,753
Gold Stars: 851
It's all good and well waving the union flag but you try getting to and from work in Central London without the tube and train services, especially working shifts.

Add into that you are an emergency worker who does not possess the power of strike or the morals to strike given the work you do. And you've had your pay and conditions changed against your will in previous years (Winsor Report).

Surely you don’t mean London with one of the most comprehensive and advanced bus systems on the planet, with hundreds of miles of dedicated cycle lanes, 20k designated bike parking spots, and facilities for cyclists all over the city? The same London which literally has a famous taxi system plus the myriad other taxi services operating there? That London?
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 55
Chrisblor
July 14, 2022, 3:32pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,933
Gold Stars: 238

I live in a city where the bus companies are about to cut 1/3rd of all bus services, and ticket prices for surviving routes are unregulated and ludicrously expensive as a result. Our cycling network here is limited, the city is covered in hills, and we have little in the way of alternative public transport options for getting around the city. I still support and empathise with all striking transport workers, it's not really hard.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 55
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Train strike on 30th July

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.