Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Cleethorpes on the up?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 238 Guests

Cleethorpes on the up?

This thread currently has 3,925 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
immariner
July 11, 2022, 8:31pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,414
Gold Stars: 61
Forgive the indulgence of sticking this in the footy section but ya never know, it might just influence a few away fans to spend more than just a couple of (hopefully unhappy) hours here this season. Tenuous, maybe, but I have read the thread on Cobblers' (apt) forum, with more than a couple opining that it's a shít away day. Is it fück, especially not in August, I've always known that. Came across this article, shared by Docks Beers on fb
:
https://www.coastmagazine.co.uk/places/weekend-guide-to-cleethorpes/#l5gtq07t615wzl5ta9n

Nice article. I know it's obviously their remit to big up our seaside places but it does sound like Meggies has become more than your bog standard tacky seaside reeort that perhaps it might have been in the past few decades. I haven't "done" Cleethorpes in yonks, might take the early train to an early or late season home game and try and experience it like an away fan would. It s so easy to take for granted what's on your doorstep.
Logged Offline
Private Message
aldi_01
July 11, 2022, 8:40pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Any football fan that doesn’t think Town away is a good away day is a flipping moron. It’s easy to get to, plenty of food and drink, plenty of space to park, good acoustics in the away end, what more do people want?

Northampton fans are a weird breed anyway, now if you’re talking excrement away days, Northampton is up there…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 25
lew chaterleys lover
July 11, 2022, 8:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from immariner
Forgive the indulgence of sticking this in the footy section but ya never know, it might just influence a few away fans to spend more than just a couple of (hopefully unhappy) hours here this season. Tenuous, maybe, but I have read the thread on Cobblers' (apt) forum, with more than a couple opining that it's a shít away day. Is it fück, especially not in August, I've always known that. Came across this article, shared by Docks Beers on fb
:
https://www.coastmagazine.co.uk/places/weekend-guide-to-cleethorpes/#l5gtq07t615wzl5ta9n

Nice article. I know it's obviously their remit to big up our seaside places but it does sound like Meggies has become more than your bog standard tacky seaside rrside that perhaps it might have been in the past few decades. I haven't "done" Cleethorpes in yonks, might take the early train to an early or late season home game and try and experience it like an away fan would. It s so easy to take for granted what's on your doorstep.

The away fans' opinions of the area are tediously boring and stereotypical - so much so you just have to laugh.

Our biggest problem is the A180 entrance - instead of embracing the sea, the boats the yachts we have hidden it all behind fencing/hedges and then Cleethorpe Road and Grimsby Road are in desperate need of modernisation. These first impressions stick, which is a great shame because both Grimsby and Cleethorpes are generally much better, very much better than people would think.

Once fans get to Cleethorpes though, that has got to be better than most away days surely, especially for fans who don't have a seaside on their doorstep?  
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 25
Kris2
July 11, 2022, 10:29pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
It's still okay if you have kids because they can play on the beach while you have a drink but seaside resorts are very much tacky and only popular with the elderly for days out on the coach these days. The beach attractions have not changed since the 80's for the most part and the arcades aren't even arcades now, they are just glorified gambling dens full of slot machines. The rest is just overpriced shops where they charge an extortionate amount for an ice cream and drinks.

It's a shame really because there is a lot you can do with it and parts of the town really are beautiful and could be showcased like the docks and yacht club. There isn't much to do for people staying overnight on an away day besides drink then go to a rubbish nightclub down the beach. Cleethorpes is hardly the trendy destination of the summer, there is nothing in Northampton though.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 25
ginnywings
July 11, 2022, 10:57pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Kris2
It's still okay if you have kids because they can play on the beach while you have a drink but seaside resorts are very much tacky and only popular with the elderly for days out on the coach these days. The beach attractions have not changed since the 80's for the most part and the arcades aren't even arcades now, they are just glorified gambling dens full of slot machines. The rest is just overpriced shops where they charge an extortionate amount for an ice cream and drinks.

It's a shame really because there is a lot you can do with it and parts of the town really are beautiful and could be showcased like the docks and yacht club. There isn't much to do for people staying overnight on an away day besides drink then go to a rubbish nightclub down the beach. Cleethorpes is hardly the trendy destination of the summer, there is nothing in Northampton though.

Utter sh1te.

It was rammed on Sunday from the pier all the way up to the fitties, with thousands of people of all ages on the beach and in the water. Kite surfers, swimmers, paddle boarders, jet skiers and lots of inflatables.

It isn't expensive either.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 25
promotion plaice
July 11, 2022, 11:40pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,086
Gold Stars: 200

The new lifeboat station (£3 Million) on the beach will be another tourist attraction when it's finished, things are definitely looking up.

[img]https://rnli.org/-/media/news-centre/2022/apr/11/construction_starts_on_cleethorpes_new_lifeboat_station3.jpg[/img]

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 25
Mayaman
July 12, 2022, 12:27am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,421
Gold Stars: 74
It ain't Thailand but the views aren't to be sniffed at. The closer you get to the Fitties, the better it gets.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 25
A.l.f.
July 12, 2022, 6:40am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +687
Gold Stars: 7
The most common comment made by away fans is how much dog dirt is on the paths near the away end and how much rubbish there is.
I realise it’s irresponsible dog owners to blame and it’s not a nice thing to do, but is there any chance that this could be cleaned up before each match?
Other than that, fans love the away bar and are very complimentary of the friendly staff we have at BP.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 25
aldi_01
July 12, 2022, 6:45am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
The comments made are ill-informed and just throw away comments to justify not coming. If I have to dodge one pile of dogshit on my way to the game every other game then that’s it. It’s not different at other games.

A few years ago, literally got out the car at Torquay and my mate stood straight in to a massive pile of shite, did info on a forum belaying about it being a bad away day etc? Nope…

Northampton fans are odd, a bit like Peterborough, they have this chip, like they’re near London (you wouldn’t wanna walk it) and give us all bigguns. I met folk from both Peterborough and Northampton at uni and they most certainly had over inflated egos and ideas about their town that literally nobody else does.

I’ve lectured at Northampton Uni a few times and been to see town there, it’s the definition of a non place…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 25
pen penfras
July 12, 2022, 9:08am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -127
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from aldi_01
The comments made are ill-informed and just throw away comments to justify not coming. If I have to dodge one pile of dogshit on my way to the game every other game then that’s it. It’s not different at other games.

A few years ago, literally got out the car at Torquay and my mate stood straight in to a massive pile of shite, did info on a forum belaying about it being a bad away day etc? Nope…

Northampton fans are odd, a bit like Peterborough, they have this chip, like they’re near London (you wouldn’t wanna walk it) and give us all bigguns. I met folk from both Peterborough and Northampton at uni and they most certainly had over inflated egos and ideas about their town that literally nobody else does.

I’ve lectured at Northampton Uni a few times and been to see town there, it’s the definition of a non place…

Everybody thinks where they live is better than the general opinion of it. Cleethorpes is generally nice, but most fans don't see it.

Grimsby is not easy to get to, has no parking, nearby food is ok but certainly not good. I know there are worse, but there are much better. And that road running down from the A180 is run down and sets the general opinion of what you see going only to a match.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 25
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Cleethorpes on the up?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.