July 14, 2022, 10:04am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from gtfc_chris
If
but I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one who would seriously consider taking in a cheeky holiday to Spain, Portugal etc which has the added bonus of a Town game or two in the future!
Reminds me of something I've always wanted to do from a similar angle which is going to watch the world cup abroad.  

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 64
gtfc_chris
July 14, 2022, 10:16am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,508
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from Rick12
Reminds me of something I've always wanted to do from a similar angle which is going to watch the world cup abroad.  

I'm hopeful of seeing some games in Qatar this year. Will be there with work for a few months and although we've had nothing mentioned about availability of tickets we're silently praying there'll be something on offer to go and watch a game or two. Probably unlikely but will keep hoping!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 64
Rick12
July 14, 2022, 10:22am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from gtfc_chris

I'm hopeful of seeing some games in Qatar this year. Will be there with work for a few months and although we've had nothing mentioned about availability of tickets we're silently praying there'll be something on offer to go and watch a game or two. Probably unlikely but will keep hoping!
Hope you get to go. I adore the football world cup and have done since a small boy.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 64
OddShapedBalls
July 14, 2022, 12:05pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.02
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from gtfc_chris
If the Club do look at this as an annual thing given the change in professional mindset, it would be great if in future years they are able to plan an itinerary that includes friendlies and is advertised to fans.

I can see that this year the whole uncertainty of league, logistics once promotion was achieved and then timeframe to make arrangements would have made it very difficult but I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one who would seriously consider taking in a cheeky holiday to Spain, Portugal etc which has the added bonus of a Town game or two in the future!

Exactly this, as a Llanelli Scarlets fan we get the double edged sword of league fixtures in 5 different countries and despite the general lack of travelling fans being a nefative, the long weekends away in Venice etc whilst taking in a game are fantastic.

In future pre-seasons you'd have to imagine some places who possibly aren't in the most popular destinations list (eg Slovenia as mentioned previously!) would be happy to assist in some small way - I get that we aren't premier league, but english league clubs still have some pull/aura about them in many places around the world.  7 days over there, a couple of friendlies, maybe a foreign club could host us and the local tourist board might have some small ways to make it more cost effective for the club in return for being able to market a holiday deal to the clubs mailing list etc.  I can't imagine JS hasn't already had thoughts about it though, he's far more intelligent than the likes of me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 64
jamesgtfc
July 14, 2022, 12:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from mike_d
Has anyone thought that the ecomonics of going there might be favourable compared to going in the uk?

Also, this might have been booked some time ago based upon the statistical likelihood of good weather was also much higher than the weather in the UK over the time planned.

Just saying, there might have been an element of planning around this one.

I was alluding to that when I said that I wondered how much it cost compared to a week at Mottram Hall last season. I wouldn't be surprised if there's not much in it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 64
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Tenerife

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.