4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
FPVmariner
July 9, 2022, 1:07am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +337
Gold Stars: 23
It’s true, I was born in Cleethorpes so I have the right to declare, proudly and as an exile, ‘I’m from Cleethorpes’.  Thing is, like many exiles, I’m from Cleethorpes when Town are not doing well but I suddenly switch to ‘I’m from Grimsby when we are.  I’m not ashamed of my heritage, born in Cleethorpes but spent the majority of years pre-exile living in Great Grimsby.  Am I from ‘Cleethorpes because it sounds slightly more exotic (yes really), or is it that I’m ashamed because of the reputation, fair or not of the town of Grimsby?  Listen to our chairman speak, he never shies away from or disassociates from his home town.  I speak not for every exile but can I say this, thank you for opening my eyes to inverted snobbery, it’s not where you’re from, it’s what you do.

Maybe late in the day and somewhat hypocritical but for my remaining days it’s Grimsby, loud and proud.
Private Message
promotion plaice
July 9, 2022, 5:31am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,086
Gold Stars: 200

I'm 62 and was born in Cottingham, my fathers side of the family come from Hull, my mothers side from Sheffield.

We moved over to Cleethorpes when I was about six and I've lived here ever since.

Love the place, best thing we ever did.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 36
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
July 9, 2022, 5:48am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.85
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,831
Gold Stars: 555
When someone asks, I usually say ‘Grimsby, well technically Cleethorpes’.

You have them hooked instantly. They’re thinking, ‘Riviera playboy with a social conscience’. The palm-fronted Cleethorpes corniche backed up by the pulsing, post-industrial hipster vibes of GY.

I spent my first 18 years in one of Grimsby’s dormitory villages, rather than the heaving metropolis itself. So technically I should just say Cleethorpes, having never lived in Grimsby.  

I was born there. It’s what my passport says. It’s where I lost my virginity. It’s where my team play!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 36
golfer
July 9, 2022, 6:35am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
Bags Ball  ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 36
Maringer
July 9, 2022, 7:15am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,647
Gold Stars: 189
If someone asks me, I say Cleethorpes, then expand it to 'next to Grimsby' if they don't know where Clee is. I'm not from Grimsby and have never lived there and spend most days entirely in Cleethorpes. Can't imagine saying I'm 'from' Grimsby, though it does feel like I'm 'home' as I drive into town past Pyewipe after a holiday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 36
Humbercod
July 9, 2022, 8:51am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,487
Gold Stars: 82
Sounds like Cleethorpes snobs 😂
I have heard people say they mention Cleethorpes or Humberston because they embarrassed to say they’re from Grimsby which is shameful really. Born and bred Grimbarian and proud of it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 36
WOZOFGRIMSBY
July 9, 2022, 8:55am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,905
Gold Stars: 180
I always say Grimsby as the majority of the people over here on the Emerald Isle have never heard of cleethorpes. And even then I have to try and explain whereabouts it is!

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 36
RonMariner
July 9, 2022, 9:22am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,797
Gold Stars: 226
Born in Park Street. Thankfully on the Grimsby side! So close to being a Meggie.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 36
ncfc_chalky
July 9, 2022, 9:28am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +422
Gold Stars: 58
If you are born n bred in Grimsby and fancy a day at the coast do you drive the minutes down the road to Cleethorpes or do you venture elsewhere due to it being so familiar? I've watched Notts play Grimsby but never visited the besch.bit,is it any good?

I was born n bred in Nottingham,my dna will probably say 100℅ Arnold,Nottingham with a trace of France around 1066  😎
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 36
supertown
July 9, 2022, 9:28am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,461
Gold Stars: 53
Born in Nunny maternity home but lived in Cleethorpes all my life (57) I do say both to try and explain where it is as some people will have visited Cleethorpes as a tourist . Sometimes have to resort to ‘near Hull? ‘ 😱
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 36
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › But I’m from Cleethorpes

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.