Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Death of the football programme?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 279 Guests

Death of the football programme?

This thread currently has 3,292 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
July 7, 2022, 9:40pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,086
Gold Stars: 200

Not sure if other clubs have done it but Bradford City have just announced that they are axing their matchday programme.

"As from Saturday’s home friendly against Derby, the programme will be no more after the club reluctantly pulled the plug. Buying a matchday programme is a long-standing tradition in the English game, but in a more digitally-minded era with the rise of social media and online content, we feel as a club it is no longer efficient for us to continue producing a matchday programme."

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Online
Private Message
GrimRob
July 7, 2022, 10:02pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,432
Gold Stars: 113
Shame for those who still collect them. Personally, I'd rather pay 50p and get an A4 teamsheet with the two sides on, which is what programmes started as! I know you can get all the information on your phone, but the phone is a distraction and I'd rather just be able to look at a bit of paper to see the team.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 1 - 26
toontown
July 7, 2022, 10:10pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
I thought you had to do a programme in the efl for the first and last games of the season and the rest were optional,something like that? Rules changed whilst we were away perhaps..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 26
golfer
July 7, 2022, 10:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
Did Toontown think you had to have a programme for the first and last games ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 26
toontown
July 7, 2022, 10:16pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from golfer
Did Toontown think you had to have a programme for the first and last games ?

No, whatever gave you that idea!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 26
Rick12
July 7, 2022, 10:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Sad to read. In this day and age of screen media saturated technology it's always nice to go back to basics and read something physical. Likewise I've been collecting the world soccer magazine squad lists and interviews they do with managers prior to the world cup and European championships since 2010 and would hate for that to be finished. Likewise I have old Grimsby programmes from around 6 years back that I love to read from time to time.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 26
thornemariner
July 7, 2022, 11:41pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +665
Gold Stars: 22
The matchday programme hasn't been an EFL requirement for a few years.

Scunthorpe and Derby were a few of the earlier clubs to stop producing.

I've subscribed to our programme for years and I'd urge anyone who loves to get one to do the same. Its £50 for the season and an absolute steal. GTFC said that doing so would help sustain the programme. You get cup games etc included.

I was at Goole AFC the other night. What a programme they produce. If clubs of that stature can produce one then league clubs should be able to. For me its an essential part of the matchday experience but I realise I am in the minority.  
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 26
Mayaman
July 7, 2022, 11:47pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,421
Gold Stars: 74
They became overpriced years ago.  I after a while I also found them boring.  Always the same format, with some stats on a player.  Tell me something interesting please.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 26
thornemariner
July 8, 2022, 12:21am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +665
Gold Stars: 22
I think Grimsby's programme is of very good quality so I'm happy buying it.

I'm biased in some ways because I've contributed to grassroots football programmes for a good while and very regularly in the last couple of seasons. I did write the GTST page in The Mariner for a few years but that was over a decade ago.

Goole AFC have a good print run and regularly sell out. A proper glossy with some really interesting articles. I write match reports for two local sides and one club, Harworth Colliery, puts them all in its programmes which it even produces for U21 matches.

Programmes don't have to be big affairs. I'd be happy for a slimmed down version at Town if it meant we still had one. I went to see my other local side, Club Thorne Colliery, play in an U21 game at Wombwell Town and the home side's four page programme was a thing of real beauty.

Doncaster Rovers Belles produce a teamsheet and have all the latest league news and stats on the back. A great effort. More like the original football programmes.

Not for everyone but I love getting a programme.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 26
GrimPol
July 8, 2022, 8:06am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -785
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from toontown
I thought you had to do a programme in the efl for the first and last games of the season and the rest were optional,something like that? Rules changed whilst we were away perhaps..

Past EFL regulations had stated, "that each club was to have one half page of their programme available to benefit the Football Foundation and a full page of advertising to promote League initiatives."
In June 2018 EFL clubs voted that printing programmes are up to each club to decide.

They are collectable, and in 2014, a copy of the 1901 FA Cup final programme between Tottenham and Sheffield Utd was sold for £19,000 at auction.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 26
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Death of the football programme?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.