July 6, 2022, 6:45am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from Humbercod

A giant Rat the size of a small dog springs to mind😲

flipping hell…bet you’re a barrel of laughs at parties.

In response to the initial question, most has been answered. New York is mega but different to say London or Rome. It is expensive but then so are all major cities. I know that the American government have been poor at supporting businesses so I’d imagine price increases post covid are linked to that in some way.

Great place though and try and take in some sport while you’re there. Massively different to watch football here but still great…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 28
Humbercod
July 6, 2022, 9:38am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,487
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from aldi_01

flipping hell…bet you’re a barrel of laughs at parties.

In response to the initial question, most has been answered. New York is mega but different to say London or Rome. It is expensive but then so are all major cities. I know that the American government have been poor at supporting businesses so I’d imagine price increases post covid are linked to that in some way.

Great place though and try and take in some sport while you’re there. Massively different to watch football here but still great…

Sorry but it’s an overcrowded shithole just like London but without any history. I had 2 full days there and couldn’t wait to get out, do yourself a favour jump on a bus or drive to Toronto (approx 8hrs) taking in Niagra Falls on the way. Toronto a much nicer, safe, friendly and cleaner City. CNN tower a lot better than the Empire State.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 28
exiledmeggie
July 6, 2022, 10:44am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +1 / -6
Approval: -227
Gold Stars: 19
There is only one place to stay in New York, and that is Times Sq. Expensive, but just yards from the Theatre, bars and Jazz Clubs. Been there too many times to mention, last was April.

Be prepared that everything is expensive, beer is $8, burger bars are available, but restaurants are expensive. Expect to pay $30-40 for a meal in the hotels, and if you go to a bar around $20 a head. You will have to tip as well. If you use the same place, make sure you tip at least 15%. Then when you pop back in you will get decent service again!

Book you tours from the UK, Statue of Liberty, and others are available top book from here. The is quite a wait for the Statue of Liberty on the NPS website, only a limited number of tickets to get to the crown are available each day!

Get your MTA card on arrival and pay for a 7 day ticket was $33 in (Card costs $1) April, but gives you all travel on MTA. They take cash or use your travel card in $$$.

Expect to spend around $300 a day! Any less and you will be short!

Living in Exile since 1980, but still have Black and White blood!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 28
aldi_01
July 6, 2022, 1:51pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from Humbercod

Sorry but it’s an overcrowded shithole just like London but without any history. I had 2 full days there and couldn’t wait to get out, do yourself a favour jump on a bus or drive to Toronto (approx 8hrs) taking in Niagra Falls on the way. Toronto a much nicer, safe, friendly and cleaner City. CNN tower a lot better than the Empire State.

Two days and you’re an expert on the place…

Nobody said it was like London, because funnily enough, it’s called New York…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 28
ginnywings
July 6, 2022, 2:10pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
I have no personal knowledge of New York, but some of my family went for Christmas 3 years back and they loved it.

They were going to revisit but lockdown put paid to that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 28
FishOutOfWater
July 6, 2022, 4:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,575
Gold Stars: 37
Been a couple of times

My first visit was when I stayed with my pen pal who lived in Perth Amboy New Jersey ( where Bon Jovi is from )

We were only 30 minutes or so away in her car, so she took me to all the usual Manhattan tourist sites and also in to Brooklyn to see relatives & get a feel of the community

I loved it.... had some great times at street fairs and some good street food. I was early 20s at the time so it was all news

Second time I went was with the ex Mrs for a big birthday of hers.... stayed at the UN Plaza hotel and I noticed the difference in holidays. Food was expensive and without a local(ish) guide I didn't enjoy it as much

I'd go back again though.... the recommendation to go in by train to Grand Central Station sounds great ( there is or was a great seafood restaurant there ) and I'd definitely spend more time on Ellis Island. It fascinated me but in a group of friends who didn't share my enthusiasm I felt a bit cheated at not having enough time to take it all in

All in all I'd heartily recommend it.... it might have its downsides but so do other capital cities like Paris & Milan,
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 15 - 28
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
July 6, 2022, 4:49pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,831
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from Humbercod

I know you probably think I purposely take the opposite view to you on everything but I didn’t think much of Toronto. Admittedly, it was the New Year’s weekend but I found Toronto a bit insipid.

Personally I found Niagara Falls a bit underwhelming too. It looked man made with the amount of concrete around it. Like Milton Keynes when the sewers flood.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 28
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
July 6, 2022, 5:18pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,831
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from exiledmeggie
There is only one place to stay in New York, and that is Times Sq. Expensive, but just yards from the Theatre, bars and Jazz Clubs. Been there too many times to mention, last was April.

It depends on what you want, how much time you have and how willing you are to use the Subway / walk / cabs.

Personally, anywhere near Times Sq would be the last place I would want to stay as it reminds me of an ugly mix of Freeman St, Leicester Square and Blackpool on a bad day (no, I haven’t been hacked by Humbercod).

But it is very handy for theatres, art galleries, museums, main sights etc so I can see the attraction.

I much prefer the East Village or Lower East Side in Manhattan or Brooklyn (preferably Bushwick, Park Slope or Williamsburg).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 28
Nelly GTFC
August 8, 2022, 10:32pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,746
Gold Stars: 31
Only just seen this thread, but I went Christmas 2018 and 2019, flew from Gatwick both times.

For taxis, use Uber or Lyft app, yellow cabs are alot more expensive.  Also at JFK airport there's chance you will get fake taxi drivers come upto you asking if you want a picking up in flashy cars/humvees, they will more than likely try scam you and charge you double the price of a yellow cab! You will get warnings about them inside JFK on the speaker system.

I stayed in an Airbnb the second time I went, in a basement setup, it had basic kitchen, shower, main room, tv with netflix etc. Cost was £73 per night and was excellent, not too far from JFK around 20 mins.

IHOP >> https://www.ihop.com/en/menu (Will need a VPN to view the menu etc)

Red Lobster >> https://www.redlobster.com/

I went to East New York one day, that was an eye opener, the station looked like it hadn't been touched since the 1950s, zombies high on fentanyl or whatever, some pissing without a care in the world for passersbys.

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> https://footballclubforums.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 28
Hagrid
August 9, 2022, 10:50am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,479
Gold Stars: 536
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Only just seen this thread, but I went Christmas 2018 and 2019, flew from Gatwick both times.

For taxis, use Uber or Lyft app, yellow cabs are alot more expensive.  Also at JFK airport there's chance you will get fake taxi drivers come upto you asking if you want a picking up in flashy cars/humvees, they will more than likely try scam you and charge you double the price of a yellow cab! You will get warnings about them inside JFK on the speaker system.

I stayed in an Airbnb the second time I went, in a basement setup, it had basic kitchen, shower, main room, tv with netflix etc. Cost was £73 per night and was excellent, not too far from JFK around 20 mins.

IHOP >> https://www.ihop.com/en/menu (Will need a VPN to view the menu etc)

Red Lobster >> https://www.redlobster.com/

thanks Nelly

I went to East New York one day, that was an eye opener, the station looked like it hadn't been touched since the 1950s, zombies high on fentanyl or whatever, some pissing without a care in the world for passersbys.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 28
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › New York City

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.