This thread currently has 2,280 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
June 9, 2022, 7:30am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,086
Gold Stars: 200

Hurst highlights in today's Telegraph his side have a difficult task ahead as they prepare for the new season.
Short turnaround after long promotion campaign, the club must also find the right balance for the time allocated for rest, recovery, and preparation for the new season.
Not much time to recruit new players as well and embed them into the squad.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Online
Private Message
lukeo
June 9, 2022, 7:32am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,396
Gold Stars: 149
Butlins has WiFi.. Take the mrs their for a week and take your laptop PH 👍
All joking aside, it's a quick turnover but I'm sure they'll be ready to go by the first game of the season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 16
promotion plaice
June 9, 2022, 7:37am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,086
Gold Stars: 200
Quoted from lukeo
Butlins has WiFi.. Take the mrs their for a week and take your laptop PH 👍
All joking aside, it's a quick turnover but I'm sure they'll be ready to go by the first game of the season

Funnily enough we're off to Haven (Reighton Sands) soon and I think they've only got WiFi in the bar area and not in the caravans  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 16
grimps
June 9, 2022, 7:50am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,136
Gold Stars: 46
I’d he can keep the core of this squad then I’m sure we’ll be able to compete from the start of the season , this might give him time to add as the season progresses
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 16
Jarmo.Is.God
June 9, 2022, 8:31am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from promotion plaice

Hurst highlights in today's Telegraph his side have a difficult task ahead as they prepare for the new season.
Short turnaround after long promotion campaign, the club must also find the right balance for the time allocated for rest, recovery, and preparation for the new season.
Not much time to recruit new players as well and embed them into the squad.

It's far from ideal.
But we have a great spine in this team already.
Followed by a class above manager and coaching team, we will be more than fine i'm sure
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 16
quebec38
June 9, 2022, 8:59am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,588
Gold Stars: 48
Not ideal of course but we will be absolutely fine.

We will keep whoever we wish to keep from last season I’m sure. The squad is harmonious and has enough quality I believe to at least stop up next season.

We have two months yet to work on signings which is plenty of time. We also have two months to fit in a break and get back to fitness again which I’m sure we can do. The attitude of the players and staff can overcome every hurdle during this strange and shortened pre-season.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 16
jimgtfc
June 9, 2022, 9:12am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,100
Gold Stars: 45
Not ideal but if there’s a manager and as equally as important, a back room team for the job, then we’re in safe hands.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 16
diehardmariner
June 9, 2022, 9:19am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
I've a feeling that one of the considerations Hurst will work with is the lack of prep time for the new season.

Having effectively had 3 separate teams last season, I imagine he's keen for some stability and we may see limited movement of players this summer and then potentially a bit more activity in January depending on how the season is going.

Considering how we ended the season, not just the play-offs but from March onwards, I'm not certain we need wholesale changes.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 16
acko338
June 9, 2022, 9:26am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,230
Gold Stars: 33
Sorting out expiring contracts now we know the division that we are playing in will be No 1 priority.

The deadly awaited retained list can then be published, devoured by fans, and differing opinions out on here as usual.

Retention of wanted loanees - can we renew at the higher level and who will he want?

The new signing want list - trundling tbrough that with players already on annual hols??

Knowing we are up, the agents' calls - giz a job to my player !!

Are any on his list ??

Mrs Hurst - Butlin's have phones - good luck getting through, though, the lines may be busy !!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 16
Superdan147
June 9, 2022, 9:29am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -5
Approval: +112
Gold Stars: 5
This is Paul hurst we are talking about and not that prat holloway.

PH is a meticulous, organised workaholic. Whilst it might not an ideal off season, you can bet your bottom dollar we will be ready
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 16
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
June 9, 2022, 9:32am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,698
Gold Stars: 72
Maybe it is ideal, how much physical rest do you need before youre simply just losing fitness?

On a normal season you probably want the mental rest but when its endorphins and good feeling probably not too unhappy about being able to get out there again.

Other teams just losing fitness and match sharpness, losing squad harmony and probably having a fair bit of squad turnover.

It would probably take its toll over the course of a few seasons but as a one off at a positive time and if we retain most of the squad, it could be a good thing
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 16
Theimperialcoroner
June 9, 2022, 9:53am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,258
Gold Stars: 102
One aspect of all this is John Mc’s operation. You’d hope he’s had it already but if not it might put him well behind the others. Anyone know owt?

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 16
mariner83
June 9, 2022, 10:03am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +25 / -4
Approval: +2,001
Gold Stars: 5
His shoulder looked fine when he was playing the drums the other night  
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 12 - 16
forza ivano
June 9, 2022, 10:11am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,269
Gold Stars: 266
Maybe it is ideal, how much physical rest do you need before youre simply just losing fitness?

On a normal season you probably want the mental rest but when its endorphins and good feeling probably not too unhappy about being able to get out there again.

Other teams just losing fitness and match sharpness, losing squad harmony and probably having a fair bit of squad turnover.

It would probably take its toll over the course of a few seasons but as a one off at a positive time and if we retain most of the squad, it could be a good thing

As an ex pro said to me , it's far easier to cope when you e just won promotion!!

On mcatee , hes on a ,no doubt v v messy, holiday
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 16
wigworld
June 9, 2022, 6:06pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,080
Gold Stars: 29
Is there a Winter break whilst the world cup's going on? Might make up for a shorter Summer break.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 14 - 16
aldi_01
June 9, 2022, 6:16pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from wigworld
Is there a Winter break whilst the world cup's going on? Might make up for a shorter Summer break.

Not entirely sure, possibly a week?

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 16
Bristol Mariner
June 9, 2022, 6:23pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
Big difference to recruitment ongoing is we essentially have a new club with a new vision etc - training facilities will be replaced, decent coaching and fitness team in place. Doubt Hurst will sign journeymen players he’ll look to build on the ethos created after xmas within the squad.

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 16
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst...lack of preparation a big test

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.