forza ivano
June 7, 2022, 10:33pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,267
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from TAGG
Is this the most important promotion in our history???

Coming out of what we have just been through with the last despotic regime and moving into a new era of optimism.

that's a really interesting point Tagg

It may be that we need a few more years before we can say for definite (am sure we could have strongly argued the same in 2016, but in the end it just turned out to be a false dawn)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 34
MidnightMariner
June 7, 2022, 11:03pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +479
Gold Stars: 24
Quoted from Mariner_09
It's taken until Wednesday night but now I feel like I have processed what we achieved.

Can only really echo what's already been said but it can't be overstated how difficult a job it was for Hursty and the lads. I cannot quite get over that contrast in emotions from 12 months ago. Sitting in a student flat in London where I commandeered the telly and watched us take the lead at Exeter only to still lose and go down to that on Sunday is something I can scarcely put into words.

I get what people are saying about this feeling vs 2016. I felt unadulterated elation when the whistle blew on Sunday, I've never got emotional at a football match before but I couldn't keep it together on Sunday, hugging random fans who I'd never met before, it was one of, if not the, single most extreme positive feelings of my life full stop. But when you stand back and examine it objectively it is a minor miracle, on two levels for me. We were the worst club in the EFL last season, as we finished bottom and the table didn't lie. We were abysmal for 2/3 of the season. Given what he had to work with, and how quickly he had to assemble a new side I think Hursty did a damn good job to take it as deep as he did. We then had to sign 16/17 new players in the close season, that is cobbled together whichever way you cut it. He then had to perform the second part of the miracle which was turning it around after that dreadful mid-season slump. We went to Wrexham in January and even I was questioning Hursty's position, thought his race maybe run and his methods had been found out. Through a few signings (Amos, moving Smith to CB, Holohan) he got us on a great run towards the end of the season and we comfortably made it into the playoffs in truth but in January I wouldn't have bet on it.

I must say, at HT, I was very glum, I thought we were done. I thought we couldn't come from behind and win, again against a side who finished above us, especially with two sets of extra time already in our legs. But these lads are made of something else, it's unquantifiable. Our resilience, our ability to stay in games when we're under the cosh and our physical fitness are on a different stratosphere to anything I've seen a Town side have before. And that is all down to Hursty, the way he works the players and how much he demands of them, whatever he does, it works wonders.

If you take the emotion out of it, I think it's a damn good job we won on Sunday actually. Wrexham are gonna throw even more money at it I'd imagine, Chesterfield will improve when Paul Cook gets a Paul Cook side together and Notts won't be going anywhere I wouldn't have betted on our chances of keeping hold of Fox, Efete or even Crocombe, and definitely not McAtee despite his contract. Plus it gets harder to attract players as non-league becomes ingrained. Watching the game back, the standard is so much higher than last time in this league, making it all the more remarkable given how poor we were last season.

Scunny have absolutely zero chance of bouncing straight back.

Both us and Solihull would easily be top half L2 sides with those XI's I'd say, which makes me excited since I reckon Hursty is going to improve us this summer again!

taken until Wednesday night but now I feel like I have processed what we achieved

Seeing as you are 24 hrs advanced time zone could you please check this wednesday lotto numbers for me and DM me them , there's a pint in it for ya for your trouble.
Might even make it a megga pint 😉
Utm.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 34
Mariner_09
June 7, 2022, 11:06pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from MidnightMariner

taken until Wednesday night but now I feel like I have processed what we achieved

Seeing as you are 24 hrs advanced time zone could you please check this wednesday lotto numbers for me and DM me them , there's a pint in it for ya for your trouble.
Might even make it a megga pint 😉
Utm.

Rat bags! Days have gone out of the window, playing on a Sunday, throw in the Bank Holiday and I'm all over the show!

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 34
Tavistock Mariner
June 7, 2022, 11:19pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +32
Just read the posts on this thread and looked at the scenes at the Town Hall - almost lost for words - lots I could say but I think that Poojah has said it all for me and no doubt many others. Thank you and well done to everyone at the club. Proud to be a Mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 34
Limerick Mariner
June 8, 2022, 12:32am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,720
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from Tavistock Mariner
Just read the posts on this thread and looked at the scenes at the Town Hall - almost lost for words - lots I could say but I think that Poojah has said it all for me and no doubt many others. Thank you and well done to everyone at the club. Proud to be a Mariner.

And me.

This is the hardest league to get out of; there is nothing like the yo-yoing that there is between lower Prem and the Championship and the Championship to League 1. Wrexham are a big club with no competitor professional team in the whole of north Wales - no pro rugby there either, the equivalent would like Norwich City spending 17 years in League 2. Bounce-backs are on average once every 9 years I think, the parachute payments just don't work like higher up and many clubs that go up kick-on because you have to be really resilient to get out in the first place. We've done it the toughest possible way - I just can't see it being repeated with the 3 X ET as well - PH has become the ET game-management maestro...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 34
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The magnitude of what we’ve just done

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.